Urbino Stock M4 Fitment Issues

Milspec

Has anyone had challenges with the fit of their Urbino stock on their M4?

Its not the stock material behind the trigger guard.  There is plenty of room and a small gap there.

It seems like I can’t slide the trigger housing back far enough.  The little retaining tab on the back of the housing doesn’t appear to seat in the stock where the recess is.

Its been nothing but a headache with this stock.  The first one the grip was moderately damaged.  I exchanged it.  This new one is better but still a small amount of grip damage.  Now the fit problems.

I got it.  It fits uncomfortably tight.

I didn’t want to force it but I was able to remove and reinstall the trigger housing. Very tricky.  So far I don’t feel warm and fuzzy about this product.

Edited by Milspec

Don't use loctite on the screw that holds the stock to the receiver extension. Yes, the screw can come loose during shooting. The receiver extension's stock screw wasn't really meant to be used like this. The stock retainer screw is only held in by the snap ring in the end of the receiver extension. So if you have the screw welded in with the loctite, the screw will unscrew from the extension and push thru the snap ring. Then you have the stock and your screw stuck on inside of the stock. People have had to cut the stock open to try to separate the parts.

For the trigger pack you can lightly sand the area around the trigger pack on the stock (modify the stock, not the trigger frame) to adjust how tight the fit is.

• Like 1

While I love my Urbino stock, the mounting screw is a poor design.  If you find that the stock keeps working itself loose, it is OK to field tighten it once or twice.  However, at your earliest opportunity, you should remove the stock and check that the stock retaining screw and spring clip are well seated.

I am one of those who had the spring clip fall off and the stock mounting screw stuck on the retaining screw.  If this ever happens to you, the following is what worked for me. (BTW, cutting a whole in the stock and trying to hold the retaining screw with vice grips failed.)

I coated the recoil spring tube threads with Blue Loctite then threaded the stock retaining screw back in (by using a screw driver on the stock mounting screw, as they were stuck together).  After letting it sit overnight, I was able to remove the stock mounting screw!  Then I just (painfully) removed the stock retaining screw, cleaned (wire brush) off all of the Loctite, and reassembled.

Wow!  I think I’ll sell it.  It’s never been fielded.  Lol.  I didn’t know that this was such a huge issue. 

I also agree that the design is poor when it comes to mounting.  A definite cost/model savings move for sure.

I wonder why Mil/Leo would even entertain these.

Anyone know if there is a plug and play limb saver for the PG oem stock?

I might go back to that.  I’d love to shave an 1 1/2” off it. 

I’ve done a lot of Limbsaver pads on collapsible stocks and regular stocks. Now if you cut the stock down, you’ll have to modify the pad to blend in. There have been a few websites outlining the process. I’ve never done one of those. 

Using a screw was definitely a cost saving measure over copying the factory system that is locked in place by the trigger pack and field serviceable. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:33 PM, Milspec said:
On 7/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, NoTycoon said:

It is still a great stock.  I will gladly deal with having to tighten the screw every few months.

Do you have the spring washer on yours?

I must not, I don't know what that part is and can not find it on any schematic.

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, Milspec said:

Has anyone had challenges with the fit of their Urbino stock on their M4?

Its not the stock material behind the trigger guard.  There is plenty of room and a small gap there.

It seems like I can’t slide the trigger housing back far enough.  The little retaining tab on the back of the housing doesn’t appear to seat in the stock where the recess is.

Its been nothing but a headache with this stock.  The first one the grip was moderately damaged.  I exchanged it.  This new one is better but still a small amount of grip damage.  Now the fit problems.

Yes,

The stock fit is actually shaving the polymer from my trigger guard where it should seat... I messaged Mesa today and am waiting for a response. The fact that your message is 2 years old and they havent fixed this problem is disconcerting.

9 hours ago, EyimAtlas said:

Yes,

The stock fit is actually shaving the polymer from my trigger guard where it should seat... I messaged Mesa today and am waiting for a response. The fact that your message is 2 years old and they havent fixed this problem is disconcerting.

My solution was to get ride of the darn thing.  I liked the shorter foot print but between fitment and the hokey screw in the stock, forget it.

I know many, many people swear by Mesa Tactical but for me I just don't see it.  Perhaps they do a better job on their other products, idk.