Problem with SuperSport

Supersportshooter

Hi all. I'm now a first time Benelli owner after purchasing a Supersport for sporting clays use. When I shouldered the gun prior to buying (dozens of times), the gun felt incredible. It seemed like a perfect fit, making it easy to justify the price tag. Now that I have about 300 rounds through it, I've got a problem.

The exact spot where the comb pad (standard comb) meets the stock inlet at the front of the pad is KILLING my cheek. The abrasions from this connection draw blood after only 75-100 shots. Careful monitoring of my gun mount shows my cheek landing just behind the juncture of pad and stock, indicating the stock is a bit too short, but the gel pad on the stock is apparently the longest Benelli offers at 14 3/8. When the gun recoils, the stock is pushed back, with the joint of comb pad and stock rasping across my cheek. I don't want to have to "train" myself to mount further back on the stock, but I don't want to shoot with tape on my face forever either. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? :(

Most modern firearms are built for people of average height and build.

If you are taller than 6' 2" or heavier than 25 lbs., you'll probably have issues with fitting.

The best thng you can do is to take the gun to a gunsmith and have it fitted.

This may involve cutting down the existing stock and adding an adjustable butt to it.

as always ,,tucker301 helping others,,very good,,,,,,now the unfortunate downer to custom work is $$$,,,had this limbsaver grind to fit work done,,,,semi ouch,,,the moral to the story is find a good gunsmith to do the work and stick with"em ;)

Thanks for all the input.

I have thought about the gunsmithing thing, but that synthetic comfortech stock looks like a formidable opponent to alterations. Adjusting with the shim kit would alter cast and drop only. I think the LOP is the problem, but Benelli does not offer a gel pad longer.

I tried the tape on the gun, but unless you want IT to become the sandpaper, it works better on the face.

Brownells offers an aluminum plate to replace the gel insert, to which you can attach aftermarket recoil pads. I guess this is the only way to go, but it negates all the engineering money passed through to me that Benelli spent to design the system. I wanted to fix this and retain the original design.

I have the same problem you have - and in talking to a Benelli rep recently he told me they may have something by the spring. In the meantime, I'm considering bandsawing the current butt pad in hald - and then gluing in a 1/2" pad (kick eez, etc ) and dealing with it that way. Worst case - it'll cost me another butt pad - so I'm waiting for a replacement before I cut the one I have. But I saw an article in one of the clays magazines about a year ago - that someone was offering a pad to increase the length of pull - but now that I need it, I can't find the article. Maybe someone else knows ....

Ol'Roy- this is not a raised comb insert, it is the stock one that is level.

BigJimP- I'd think twice about sawing that pad in two. From my understanding, it is filled with a gel material that would not respond well to cutting. I'm curious what the Rep told you they were thinking about as a solution. Was it simply a longer butt pad? Or was it something with the comb insert? Glad to hear I am not alone with this problem, maybe they will come up with something. I hope it is not just a Benelli logo'ed face patch!

I have the same problem. 6'3". I bought the stock insert from Brownells and it works great with a limb saver pad. My cheek was pinching as well. I now have a 15.75" LOP on my SBE2. I hope Benelli comes up with a longer gel pad as well. I would like to have the manufactures pad on my gun.

Hello Benelli!! Anyone out there? Sign me up for the first extra long pad. My credit card # is 123 1234 1234 XXXX.

Supershooter - not sure what Benelli will do but the rep seemed to be telling me there will be another butt pad available that is longer. But it would be really nice if they could come up with a shim system that would make it more variable.

ANY ONE SHOOTING IN A COMPITION IS PROBLY BETTER OFF WITH THE OVER/UNDER. ONCE APON A TIME I WAS A COMPETITIVE SHOOTER. PUT THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS THROUGH A AUTO. BOUGHT A REM 3200 STILL SHOOTING IT TODAY. BUT IN THE FIELD I AM A AUTO MAN. WITH SPORTING CLAY, IF VERY COMPETITIVE YOU SHOULD HAVE TO CHANGE CHOKES. 1ST SHOT SKEET THE SECOND SHOT FULL THATS HOW I REMEMBER IT

A GOOD O/U WILL BE MUCH MORE EASY TO TUNE TO YOUR BODY REGAURDLESS OF YOUR SIZE

I agree that most over/unders are more easily tuned to fit vs a synthetic stock like the super sport. The over/under also has a 2nd choke which can be an advantage as well. I have several over/unders but sometimes I just feel like shooting the Benelli Super Sport. Right now I have an old injury / a slight fracture in my shoulder blade - and while some weight lifting is helping me get the surrounding muscles a little stronger - the Benelli is a lot lighter and doesn't wear on my shoulder like a 9# over under does especially if I need to shoot in a 4 day tournament. So I'm fooling with the fit on the Benelli ...... and I'll keep it up until I have it tuned up just right - but at 6'5" and 280 lbs I need about 1/2" increase in the length of pull to get it really dialed in.

Hello Supersportshooter: As I was reading the replys to your problem it appears that some of the respondents do not know that the Comfottec stock on the SuperSport in made of a composite material and is not easily extended. Fortunately I am able to shoot mine (two years old)very well with the Monte Carlo style comb (additional $65 from your dealer. I found that in addition to being just a little short the stock could not be adjusted high enough for my shooting style, ergo the Monte Carlo insert. A friend is using the aluminum snap in fixture and a quarter inch spacer under a Kickease pad, it works for him. I have not seen the Brownells extension, so I don't know how it works. The Benelli folks at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last Feb. say that they are working on a longer pad but would not say when it will be available. Now for the good part; I have had one (1) failure to feed with mine in approximately 20,000 rounds. It will work with 7/8 ounce loads at 1250 fps with no hickups and has done well with 3 in. HeviShot loads in the flooded timber duck shooting in Arkansas and with heavy phesant loads in South Dakota. Would I get rid of it; Not for anything. I work at a sporting range in Las Vegas and shoot 3-400 rounds a week primarily with it.

Nevada SuperSport