Just purchased first gun - M4

Blitzinger

Just purchased my first ever gun, Benelli M4. Was wondering if there’s a way to see if there’s been changes over the years to the model. 

The variant I have is the common “tactical” model. A few things I’ve noticed: In assembly videos on YouTube, some videos show more steps as if the gun came less put together and required a few more construction steps. I’ve also seen people say that their fingers get pinched when loading and they take it to a gunsmith to extend the loading area.

My M4 came with three pieces essentially, not including the grip under the barrel so it was fairly easy. Also noticed that I don’t seem to have any issue with pinching. Did they make any modifications to load area space under the gun and did they start shipping the gun more put together at some point?

Congratulations on your first gun purchase! You’ve chosen a fine shotgun. That’s a lot of gun for a first firearm. The manual indicates a more complete assembly/disassembly. The modified loading area is not necessary. It’s more for competition shooters. Properly clean and lubricate before shooting for best results. Breaking in your gun is best achieved with heavier load ammunition such as Federal 00 buck, slugs or high brass shells. Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of expertise so read plenty. I’m constantly learning from forum members.

• Upvote 1

its a great first gun. Before upgrading it at all, take the 1500 youre about to spend on all your planned upgrades and buy semi auto rifles. even if you live in california, get a fixed magazine (modified) ar type 556/762 rifle. there will be another ban under joe/harris and anybody who isnt stocking up on rifles and magazines, is going to regret it. especially if they are shedding tears over a custom custom paint job with nice optics wishing in retrospect that money would have gone to more guns while they had the chance. So yes, you do need 8 ar15s right now. they will get you a new car AND motorcycle in 8 years if you really end up selling.

magazine tubes and optics will be available in 5 years. other guns wont.

and avoid advice from asshole dooshbags like lucas t rex arms and anybody whos a cop "gunfighter." competition shooters that are older than 30 and the ex military guys are generally (not always, but generally) the best people to seek advice and encouragement from in terms of youtubes and all this lame ass social media stuff.  

"shotguns have a learning curve, difficult manual of arms" "shotguns arent as flexible as an ar15" "shotguns are for less lethal and breaching only"

fuck that. fuck those people. fuck cool guy videos on the internet. usually the cooler the videos they make and cooler they look in them, the lamer they are and less credibility they have. im not taking war advice from a call of duty kid my gf could beat up. checkout the old "art of the shotgun" magpul dvd. thats a decent place to start for an M4 shotgunner. the guy who does the "classic firearms" vids and "iraqveteran888" are pretty cool, military arms channel is pretty cool but it seems like they get messed with alot by the internet mafia, like youtube takes their videos down sometimes, etc. and "demolition" ranch is wholesome ballistic entertainment.

protip: as a new shooter, dont play around with ghostloading or changing ammo types with real ammo in your garage/apt. wait until youve put a couple hundred rounds through it and then get some snap caps to practice with... dont store them with any real ammo. nothing worse than new shooters putting holes in buildings and becoming felons. the pigs would love to steal that new M4 from ya. 

46 minutes ago, Fett Tracking said:

its a great first gun. Before upgrading it at all, take the 1500 youre about to spend on all get a ar type 556/762 rifle. there will be another ban under joe/harris and anybody who isnt stocking up on rifles and magazines, is going to regret it.

protip: as a new shooter, dont play around with ghostloading or changing ammo types with real ammo in your garage/apt. , nothing worse than new shooters putting holes in buildings. 

Sometimes less is more.

Seek some professional training. Some training is boring and may be below your personal skill level. It’s ok to go thru the basics. Instilling safety habits early is paramount. I’m a certified pistol instructor, and you’d be amazed at how many safety mistakes I see during a class. Endless amounts of sweeping people with muzzles. Sweeping themselves. Loaded or unloaded, it’s frowned upon. You want to build a mindset that prevents you from ever sweeping anyone unless you intend to points gun at them. With training, you’ll feel a physical reaction to intentionally pointing a firearm at someone. You’ll find you keep your finger off the trigger or spray bottles and electric drill guns. 

I hate teaching big classes. Which to me is anything over 5 people at a time. I like a hands on approach where we fire 1-3 rounds, approach the target and assess what they’re doing. Attempt to correct what is wrong and try again. Blue tape over the holes so we don’t get lost on the next set. 

I agree most of the YouTube channels are full of crap. They may pay lip service to safety and training regiments, but it isn’t the primary focus. Their focus is to tell you to like and subscribe several times to their entertainment based channel. 

• Like 1