M4 weight

kilyung

8 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

An M1 Garand weighs 9.5 lbs and was humped across Europe and the Pacific theaters by teenagers. For me, it's about choices, my configuration would be different if I was night hunting predators on the property, taking an 8 hour shotgun class, or kept bedside at night. Weight isn't always my only consideration.

I love the M1 Garand, but my shoulder does not.  A good trick i learned is a bar of soap between the butt stock and your shoulder. 

• 2 years later...

I realize it’s an old topic but still, this could be useful for some. More weight could be reduced by using Toni System polymer forend handguard with mlok inserts which totals to 94 grams. Also Toni System polymer stock, which is 350gr against 721gr of pistol grip folding stock or 606gr field stock. 

On 1/26/2022 at 9:48 PM, Unobtanium said:

From memory in the past, when I tighten the mag cap on a Ti mag tube, its kindof like a jar lid. You can get it reeeeeaalllly tight. Squeeze in another click or two. On the steel tubes, it just dead stops. Ive also noticed on Ti tube guns with an optic, at 25m, I can observe slugs walking vertically as the barrel heats. Not on steel tube guns. Using just iron sights, this is hidden, as the FSP moves, too. Need to test this with receiver only mounted sighting system. YMMV, and my sample size is not large enough to leave the realm of anecdotal  

Just a thought on a possible POI change with a Ti mag tube. The coefficient of thermal expansion of Ti alloy is 5.3 vs 7.0 ( 10-6 in/deg F). since the barrel is steel, there may be something going on with stress and barrel deflection in the vertical plane as the assembly heats up.....  Would have to be very slight effect, indeed. 

And while we are on the subject of 7 rd mag tube weights... here is some info. Ti tube 5.3 oz. . One of my thin wall 4130 alloy steel tube 7.0 oz. For comparison, the factory 5rd with the dummy extension assembly weights 9.3oz

Joe