Issue with FFT Extened Bolt release install

Slickhou

Hello everyone 

I am having an issue installing the FFT bolt release.This bolt release is hitting the shell lifter once I have it all reinstalled.So when its supposed to lift my rounds the lifter gets stuck and it will break free when I push the lifter up with little effort.

I have the spring installed in the same place that the factory spring was placed on the factory bolt release.It's been broken it down and reinstalled several times and still no luck.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Slickhou said:

Hello everyone 

I am having an issue installing the FFT bolt release.This bolt release is hitting the shell lifter once I have it all reinstalled.So when its supposed to lift my rounds the lifter gets stuck and it will break free when I push the lifter up with little effort.

I have the spring installed in the same place that the factory spring was placed on the factory bolt release.It's been broken it down and reinstalled several times and still no luck.

Thanks

Is your shell lifter factory, or an extended or modified lifter (TTI, Crums, etc)

Best thing to try is to return to stock configuration and see if the failure is still present. If that is where the shell is ejecting to from inside the magazine tube, it appears to be a weak ejection issue. See if it is more commonly encountered when the magazine tube is full vs. ejecting a single round onto the shell lifter.

Sometimes this issue is also caused by a weak magazine spring.

Edited by StrangerDanger
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ben elLes said:

Carrier comp will sell you just the spring for 13, 17 after shipping or you can do FFT for 20 plus if I remember right 20-30 shipping.

Are they?  I saw they are having a shortage on springs and not selling any right now. 

Edited by Anon4755
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben elLes said:

You know how to fix a bad lifter?  I happen to have one of those… part of the lessons I mentioned learning. 

What is "bad" about the lifter?  I've always found the TTI to work without issue, the Crums modified lifter is actually longer than the TTI....sometimes is just a hair too long and can contact the shell latch when the the button is depressed to close the bolt (sand about about 1/32" off the end of the lifter if that is the case)

Mag tube spring (trim to fit, make it about 15" longer than the mag tube & extension) https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/magazine-tube-parts/magazine-springs/extension-tube-spring-45-12-ga-prod87919.aspx

Edited by Steve Rose
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

What is "bad" about the lifter?  I've always found the TTI to work without issue, the Crums modified lifter is actually longer than the TTI....sometimes is just a hair too long and can contact the shell latch when the the button is depressed to close the bolt (sand about about 1/32" off the end of the lifter if that is the case)

Mag tube spring (trim to fit, make it about 15" longer than the mag tube & extension) https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/magazine-tube-parts/magazine-springs/extension-tube-spring-45-12-ga-prod87919.aspx

There is noticeable friction on the guard assembly when the lifter is moving.  OEM moves smoothly pops back and forth,  this one, FFT, I can get it stuck in the middle between lifted and resting if move it very slowly.  It gave me feeding issues where the shell wouldn’t lift unless I pressed it pretty regularly.   I see no rub marks On the  trigger housing which has me wondering if the hole that rests on the pin is ever so slightly to small.  I have a second gun to try it on now and I figured I’ll eventually get the A&S guard one day which may have a more exact tolerance than my polymer guard doesn’t have.  I’ll have to bring it out and play with it again.  In short something is definitely rubbing somewhere on the guard as I can feel the friction outside the gun.  It gets a little worse inside tho.  

I had issues using the FFT Wolff Spring in my 7 round mag tube, even after polishing the tube it still would not launch shells up the ramp and was causing the shells to not exit the tube fast enough and up the carrier far enough that the carrier would hang up.  It was frustrating as hell, wasted a bunch of shells trying to trouble shoot the issue.  I switched to a Carrier Comp Spring and that completely fixed the issue.  Hundreds of shells later and my M4 is running like well.... an Italian made Shotgun. 

Also of note was that the Carrier Comp Spring is a good bit longer than the factory spring as well as the FFT Spring.  The only way I can get 7 rounds in my 7 round tube is to use true 59mm (2-3/4") shells.  Most overseas stuff is too long so you will have to settle for 6 in the tube.  But I talked to Marcy over at Carrier Comp and they mentioned that you can trim up to 5 coils off their spring and still have a spring that is superior to the factory spring.  So just keep that in mind, I ended up leaving mine stock and just noted that if I shoot Federal 00 2-3/4" shells than I can get 7 in the tube, if I run others like Fiocchi, Wolf, etc... then I can get 6. 

But in my opinion the Carrier Comp Spring is superior to the factory and to the FFT Spring that they have Wolff create for them. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ede2301 said:

I had issues using the FFT Wolff Spring in my 7 round mag tube, even after polishing the tube it still would not launch shells up the ramp and was causing the shells to not exit the tube fast enough and up the carrier far enough that the carrier would hang up.  It was frustrating as hell, wasted a bunch of shells trying to trouble shoot the issue.  I switched to a Carrier Comp Spring and that completely fixed the issue.  Hundreds of shells later and my M4 is running like well.... an Italian made Shotgun. 

Also of note was that the Carrier Comp Spring is a good bit longer than the factory spring as well as the FFT Spring.  The only way I can get 7 rounds in my 7 round tube is to use true 59mm (2-3/4") shells.  Most overseas stuff is too long so you will have to settle for 6 in the tube.  But I talked to Marcy over at Carrier Comp and they mentioned that you can trim up to 5 coils off their spring and still have a spring that is superior to the factory spring.  So just keep that in mind, I ended up leaving mine stock and just noted that if I shoot Federal 00 2-3/4" shells than I can get 7 in the tube, if I run others like Fiocchi, Wolf, etc... then I can get 6. 

But in my opinion the Carrier Comp Spring is superior to the factory and to the FFT Spring that they have Wolff create for them. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with different magazine springs.The issue that I am having is finding the CC springs in stock.

I have the Brileys carbon mag tube and spoke with them about some springs that they have in stock but they couldn't confirm the manufacturer of those springs.They did confirm that their spring had to be cut by the end user though.

4 minutes ago, Slickhou said:

Thanks for sharing your experience with different magazine springs.The issue that I am having is finding the CC springs in stock.

I have the Brileys carbon mag tube and spoke with them about some springs that they have in stock but they couldn't confirm the manufacturer of those springs.They did confirm that their spring had to be cut by the end user though.

Cutting it is no big issue.  Just have around 15 inches left over I’m sure it will work fine.  You can always replace it when others become available

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ede2301 said:

Thanks for the info , I"m still using the 5+1 tube so I'll keep in mind what you went through to gets things right if I start having troubles. So far i have had good luck with the wolff spring i got from FFT and the carrier.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:57 AM, Ben elLes said:

There is noticeable friction on the guard assembly when the lifter is moving.  OEM moves smoothly pops back and forth,  this one, FFT, I can get it stuck in the middle between lifted and resting if move it very slowly.  It gave me feeding issues where the shell wouldn’t lift unless I pressed it pretty regularly.   I see no rub marks On the  trigger housing which has me wondering if the hole that rests on the pin is ever so slightly to small.  I have a second gun to try it on now and I figured I’ll eventually get the A&S guard one day which may have a more exact tolerance than my polymer guard doesn’t have.  I’ll have to bring it out and play with it again.  In short something is definitely rubbing somewhere on the guard as I can feel the friction outside the gun.  It gets a little worse inside tho.  

Believe I fixed the extended lifter.  I picked up a TTI one and it worked just fine, so I decided to sit down and figure out the FFT one.  It was even tighter on the second guns trigger housing suggesting it needed to be widened ever so slightly… so I did and it appears to be working.  Have to take it out and verify but I’m pretty confident it’s going to work.