New to shotguns, M4 inbound

Burnett

Thought it would be a good idea to add a defensive shotgun though I have zero experience with one.  I've admired the Benelli M4 since it came out and since I don't see myself needing more than one shotgun in that role I decided to "buy once, cry once" and just get what I wanted. So I have one inbound and joined this forum to gain some knowledge. What I have learned so far is that with all these cool (and usually expensive) upgrades for the M4 there will probably be more buying and crying! Lol

• Upvote 2

Congrats on your purchase, you've made a wise choice that will serve you well for many years. As a defensive gun a sling and a light would be where I would start. Keeping a shotgun fed is fundamental so you might consider adding a side saddle. Velcro shot shell cards are inexpensive and easily replaceable on your gun; just some things to consider. Enjoy your new scattergun and welcome to the club!

• Upvote 1

Besides just plain shooting it, researching and modding this platform was is the best part for me. I'd get started sooner than later- some parts aren't as easy to get now as they were before the world ended. There's tons of valuable info here if you search for it and a copy of benelliwerks manual is a must have IMO. Welcome to the club !

• Upvote 1

Great choice for a first defensive shotgun! You will be pleased. Take the time to become familiar with it and enjoy shooting it.

It is far too easy to buy all the cool stuff you see and find out later that some of it doesn't really work for you. I agree with StreetSweeper56 and his suggestion that you consider a sling and light, especially for home defense. Read up on what's available and take your time making selections. Just ask questions. We are all here to help! ?

Edited by CobraBG
add comment
  • Upvote 1

Great advice CobraBG, I see how this could be a money pit. Lol Got to admit I've not been this excited about a gun in a long time. I mostly shoot my Hi Powers on the handgun front and Uzi's and a Tavor on the rifle side of things. Never had a shotgun until now and learning something new in shooting is fun for me.

53 minutes ago, Burnett said:

Thanks for the welcome guys! There is a ton of information here, I'll use the search function so I'm not asking a lot of redundant questions. 

03svt, what parts are hard to get that I should be looking for?

figure out if u want (and its legal where u are) a 7-rd magazine tube. if u want a titanium one from carrier comp, be aware that it could take a while. I’m unaware of what their current backlog is but a 6 month wait isn’t out of the ordinary. but there are other excellent options as well. happy hunting. 

Edited by xblax619

GGG extended bolt release works excellent… I am really happy with it.  just got notified it’s in stock

IWC sling and light mount.  

a light… that’s on you it’s a rabbit hole.

TTI charging handle is nice and only 40 something surprisingly…

TTI extended carrier I am happy with.

7 round tube when you’re ready

i’m looking at a briley trigger, but I haven’t….pulled the trigger on that purchase yet.  Would complete the 922R…

i have two so I have done this all twice…. ??

I have spent a lot of money on shit that didn’t work out so I just thought I would share a few that I really like. 

• Upvote 3

You might hold off on the Rein just yet, the new slimmer model is supposed to have a release date pretty soon.  Unless you just need a light now.  I have a couple of the older versions and an OWL and they have been fantastic.  I like them more that my surefire lights at this point - although my Benelli M4 wears a Surefire Scout 300 on an Impact Weapons Mount...lol.  Also if you are prior service or first responder, email Cloud for a 25% off discount code.  Their customer service is also top notch!