New Benelli M4 M1014 keeps jamming

Vandal Bee

Just got my new M4 M1014 and tested it in the local range. To my surprise it keeps jamming on ever 3rd load. It looks like it cant feed the shell properly and the bolt advances before the shell is pushed up. It also did not push the bolt all the way back on the last round - happened couple of times. I used Sellier & Bellot  2 3/4 00 buck shot.

I fired 100 rounds and it keeps jamming on ever 3rd or so load.

Did anyone had similar experience?

What would you recommend - contacting Benelli for the warranty or check it with gunsmith?

Could it be the ammo that is causing the issue?

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 21.46.59.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 21.47.11.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 21.47.20.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 21.47.28.png

This is odd, it looks like it's not getting enough gas to function, but that ammo should have zero issue with that. Does the weapon cycle by hand just fine? Have you verified that both gas pistons are present and accounted for?

1) Verify the weapon cycles without binding by hand.

2) Disassemble it and verify that the gas pistons and gas caps and O rings on the gas caps are all in good shape and present and were not in a defunct state.

3) Verify that all wear appears even and normal with no gouging or deformation occurring anywhere other than where one would expect, such as a bit on the side of the cam pin, the ejection port corners, etc.

4) Lubricate the cam pin and the rails of the carrier, and just everything in general, really.

5) Try a different ammunition.

Other questions: Was recoil robust? Were ejected shells thrown 5+ feet away? It is always possible that you got some underloaded ammunition due to a factory error.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 3

It does cycle by hand just fine. It was a bit stiff in the beginning, but after couple of rounds it is smooth like butter. I have some practice shell caps that I tried multiple times and It never jammed cycling manually.

I just took everything apart and I don't see anything concerning. There is a bit of carbon build up on the gas pistons, but that is normal.

One thing I noticed is that the magazine tube is quite lubricated. I will have to clean it well before I assemble it back.

I was shooting in an indoor rage and recoil was ok imo. I cant tell if shells were flying 5+ feet due to the indoor nature of the range and tide distance between the walls of the cell. Shells were hitting the side wall and bouncing.

I did some research and one suggested that it could be related to the recoil spring.

I'll give it another shot after I clean and lube it and report.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.31.15.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.34.49.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.34.40.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.34.23.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.34.12.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.33.59.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.33.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.33.12.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.32.34.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.32.09.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.32.00.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.31.34.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.31.26.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.40.58.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.40.49.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.44.50.png

Edited by Vandal Bee
  • Upvote 1

It looks like the same thing. However in my case the bolt looks aligned ok and I dont feel any friction then cycling manually.

But you are right - there is slight chip wear on both sides that are similar to the ones in the post you linked. I did not payed attention to those as I thought its just normal wear and tear. I'm very new to shotguns and M4 - its my 1st one.

Looks like I will have to contact Benelli for the warranty.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 16.59.06.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 16.58.54.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 16.58.37.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 16.58.27.png

25 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Do you normally have a lot more lubricant on it? I find the Benelli’s action likes to run wet. 

I doubt the marks on the bolt head are causing your issues. I think you’d feel the action hanging up when cycling it by hand. 

I lean this way, too, as there is no drag on the ejector housing side, and oftem Benelli parts do just show nicks. This doesnt look like one caused the other, necessarily. 

• Upvote 1

What would be your recommendation as next steps?

Shall I clean it up well, lube it well and give it another test? Or don’t bother and contact Benelli for the warranty?

By the way almost all pictures I took are after cleaning it up a bit, so there is no lube. 
In addition that small edge on the bolt caused the chips on the ejector. I’m not saying it is causing the cycling issues, just the damage on the ejector and the bolt itself. 

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but what is a “locking lug interface”?

Edited by Vandal Bee

I’d lube it heavily and try a different brand of ammo to see how it performs. Preferably some heavy buckshot and slugs. While at the house, I’d cycle the action a thousand times or so with lube to try to get everything broken in. I can tell from the bolt carrier that it is still brand new. Not much of the phosphate has worn down on the rails. Phosphate doesn’t slide real smooth compared to a burnished rail. 

I’m not sure of your skill level and size, but if you aren’t bracing properly and allowing the shotgun to push you around during recoil, you’re robbing the action of inertia. If you aren’t skilled in this, maybe have a shooter who is try it out to see if the problems persist. If you try all of these things and it is still failing, then I’d suggest sending it to Benelli. 

What kind of oil are you using?

I’m 6 1, 170 lbs and I’m not experienced in shooting at all - I’m a beginner. So my stance is most probably not correct. I have an experienced ex military friend that could help me out. 

The oil/cleaner I ordered is BreakFree CLP-4 Cleaner Lubricant Preservative Squeeze Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050GW7KU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZEW897DWZE0ZM13D3DJ3

I will definitively follow your advice - thank you very much both @StrangerDanger and @Unobtaniumfor the help - much appreciate it!

My 110# ex gf could run my Benelli m4. I truly doubt your size or technique is causing this, but I would recommend something better for lube, although what you are using should be sufficient...its in the USMC manual for this weapon, after all. I honestly am befuddled a bit. 

One other thing I note is the left impact area from the piston on your carrier rail face is near absent, while the right is very evident. Seems odd to me.

When you manually cycle it, does it feel smooth all the back or do you feel unusual resistance as the bolt travels back at any point? Also are you running the short tube or the full size 7rd tube? My M3 did this with the oem tube , when I added the extension and new spring it worked fine. 

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

There are definitely quality control issues out there. Some work fine, others have obvious problems. I broke my brand new M4 in 2004 right out of the box within 40 rounds. So issues have been around forever. Maybe there are more lately with the rush to get so many out to meet market demand.

It’s called the bathtub curve.  Life cycle problems with all equipment, cars, and clearly guns.  Don’t mind me or my opinion I’m a new guy with nothing to base it on but my own experience

F6B7E3C7-E837-48D4-9C67-0DFE11AE8D51.jpeg

Edited by Ben elLes

36 minutes ago, rubicon20032003 said:

I have one of the first 2500 made  m4s. And shot crap load of rounds thri it over the years.And not one problem or breakdown 

Yeah it’s a probability chart not guaranteed what happens.  That specific chart was on a site explaining why you shouldn’t buy an extended warranty on something…. Or perhaps one could interpret it as why you should sell an extended warranty ?.   I’m up to about 1500 rounds in under 2 years without issue as well.  I have had problems with aftermarket parts, but got it all figured out thanks to information I have found and my own trial and error.