SuperNova Tactical LE (20159) Telescopic Stock (61171) rear circles meant to be drilled for quick release adapters?

WMah

Hi, anyone know if those round holes by the sling slot on the rear of the stock are meant to be drilled to install quick disconnect adapters such as magpul's sling mount kits 1 & 2? pics of the disassembled stock was taken from another post. And not mine. 

A093186F-A38C-4D37-A900-82FFEA349899.thumb.jpeg.657403d57f295e3b0d8f1514618ed787.jpeg

E3F05533-0F79-4DEB-8171-82D5AFE9ED3B.thumb.jpeg.5cca5c886af93539a4791548913a0521.jpeg

mag332-blk_magpul_sling_mount_kit_type_2_01.jpg

mag333-blk_magpul_sling_mount_kit_type_1_01.jpg

True... however, the sling slot is on the bottom as well anyways so it would be flipping upside down either way. The telescopic stock is also incompatible with the ggagz rear qd mounts so i can't really find any options atm

I’m finally getting around to installing the Noveske QD mounts so I don’t have to use the standard sling mounts in my m4:

https://noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount/

Others here have used them, too.  Might be worth a look.  And maybe at halfway or 1/3 of the way from the top to keep the gun situated properly.

Edited by John P.

Nice, yeah i need to take mine apart and see how much material is in that reinforced area. I want to keep the mount at the factory recessed holes and since the magpul adapters only require drilling a 5mm hole or so to insert the screw through

I feel more comfortable installing the mount on a spot that's actually structurally reinforced vs drilling a random hole the diameter of the fitting and only rely a non-reinforced area of the plastic stock to bear the stress of the weight concentrated all in a pretty small area the size of the square nut. I'm sure it would be fine but i feel like utilizing types 1 and 2 of the magpul adapters and threading the long screw through the reinforced portion at the bottom of the stock will have the least amount of stress on stock's plastic.

I know installing it on the bottom will cause the gun to flip but i were to mount to the top side of the stock i would rather look at something a stock strap harness with a ring up to and use a magpul paraclip. 

Looks like benelli intended for the bottom circle to be a quick disconnect point given the fact the hole is sized for them as well as the structural reinforcement on the inner side of that area to bear the load of the gun when slung.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:28 PM, John P. said:

I’m finally getting around to installing the Noveske QD mounts so I don’t have to use the standard sling mounts in my m4:

https://noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount/

Others here have used them, too.  Might be worth a look.  And maybe at halfway or 1/3 of the way from the top to keep the gun situated properly.

This was gold.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the "Quick Detachment Sling Swivel System" it's referring to is what we generally refer to as QD or if they're referring to this:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60533 - Part 60533

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60334 - Part 60334

Edited by MrFootball
Added relevant link

http://www.benellidefense.it/products/supernova-185

looking at the italian mil spec site, the Quick Detachment Sling Swivel System indeed looks like a QD connector (your first link) however even closeup photos doesn't look like it's got the qd adapter installed into the stock. 

I wonder if at one point the supernova tactical telescopic stocks came with the QD cup adapter installed in the empty recesses that are on the present day stocks and somewhere along the road, benelli decided to do away with including qd adapters installed into the stock?

Edited by WMah

Here's a link to an official Benelli promo photo of an M4 using this telescoping stock (the 61171 stock comes with the M4 in Europe) with a QD cup:

http://www.benellidefense.it/sites/default/files/gallery/M4-tactical-emo-3.jpg

Looks like the official Benelli part for this QD Cup may be 80198 Benelli M4 OEM QD Swivel Cup
https://freedomfightertactical.com/products/80198-benelli-m4-oem-qd-swivel-cup

Link to check out the rest of the gallery

http://www.benellidefense.it/gallery

Edited by MrFootball

Found it! the only telescopic buttstock with similar style I was able to find with pre installed QD cups in the hole seemed to be from off the M4, but not the regular version we commonly see, but the M4 T-Pro. I have attached the only pictures I could find that clearly shows a QD cup installed in that factory hole.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem benelli officially offers telescopic stocks in their official webstore and only a few third party retailers such as benelliparts and midwest offers the one for the supernova tactical. I have not found the m4 part offered anywhere in my searches so no part number. 

Furthermore, the few youtube foreign unboxing and review videos covering the M4 T-Pro does not have QD cups pre-installed in the buttstock, which makes me suspect that the QD cup buttstock was only offered to LE/military guns and not the models available to civilians despite the same model name. Found an english unboxing of the T-Pro that clearly does not have the qd cups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvrEPfvEnkU&ab_channel=buttermilkswag 

I've attached a bunch of stock benelli pictures of the m4 T-pro that does have the qd cups installed which confirms that that area is designed to be reinforced for the QD cup mount

DEFENSE-_0015_m4-18,5”-telescopic-Stock_0.png

M4-tactical-emo-3.jpg

8116b4e1e4e9f74c68fdde23835b2a79.jpg

Edited by WMah

6 minutes ago, MrFootball said:

Here's a link to an official Benelli promo photo of an M4 using this telescoping stock with a QD cup:

http://www.benellidefense.it/sites/default/files/gallery/M4-tactical-emo-3.jpg

Looks like the official Benelli part for this QD Cup may be 80198 Benelli M4 OEM QD Swivel Cup
https://freedomfightertactical.com/products/80198-benelli-m4-oem-qd-swivel-cup

Link to check out the rest of the gallery

http://www.benellidefense.it/gallery

Haha literally posted the same time as me!

• Like 1

I'm quite curious how the 80199 BENELLI OEM SWIVEL KIT installs to the stock. It just appears the cup is tapped but does not show pictures of any nuts or anything. I wonder if this kit comes with the other side which looks like a rounded knob that goes on the other side of the hole looking at the picture of the coyote brown t-pro i have above

EDIT: went on chat to ask freedomfightertactical about the part and they said they didn't have any info on installation instructions. However they confirmed that this part only includes what is pictured. They told me to contact benelli for more info. I am thinking we will need the female end of this assembly since it looks like there's a tapped cap for the other end of the stock.

Edited by WMah

Hmmm just picked up the magpul swivel sockets. They are not an drop right into the hole fit. Will require boring out the inner circle portion in order to seat the socket in more so that it sits flush against the bottom of the recess as is, the socket sits on the raised outer lip and protrude quite far out. Even when sitting at the bottom of the recess I would say it will still protrude out by around 5mm. The cleanest look would be obtained by drilling out that entire recess on one side and have the bottom of the socket sitting on the inner surface of the opposite side recess and securing it with a nut on the other side. I will likely take this to a gunsmith to get done cleanly as I was only comfortable drilling a screw hole into the recess20230914_212049.thumb.jpg.c0fa522e758b1e68f042d382db5019ee.jpg

I wonder if the RX Arms M4 QD Sling Mount would work for the 61171 Collapsible Stock? It looks like you might be able to drill all the way through both sides of the recessed circle enough to plug each side in, then secure it (in the gap shown in photo below) using the provided bolt. Has anyone tried this? I know @RxArms posts here, have they tried this yet with the 61171 Stock? Can they confirm that it would work? Could be a great solution to this vexing problem.

EDEA4761-9CB9-49C2-9C2E-8BC9B596C510-sca

https://rxarms.com/products/benelli-m4-parts-and-accessories/benelli-m4-qd-sling-mount-collapsible-stock/

E3F05533-0F79-4DEB-8171-82D5AFE9ED3B.thumb.jpeg.5cca5c886af93539a4791548913a0521.jpeg

Edited by MrFootball

Agreed. But with the way it is now, you wouldn't drill the whole recessed area out. If you drill a hole just large enough to run each side of the stems through to connect in the middle notch (see pic above), the remaining material should be enough to provide a base for the cups on each side, then the bolt in the middle notch anchors the RX Arms QD cups in.

Would love to see if @RxArms has / could try this with the 61171. If it worked it could solve several problems, providing QD cups on both left/right sides of the stock.

Edited by MrFootball

• 6 months later...
On 9/14/2023 at 10:32 PM, WMah said:

Hmmm just picked up the magpul swivel sockets. They are not an drop right into the hole fit. Will require boring out the inner circle portion in order to seat the socket in more so that it sits flush against the bottom of the recess as is, the socket sits on the raised outer lip and protrude quite far out. Even when sitting at the bottom of the recess I would say it will still protrude out by around 5mm. The cleanest look would be obtained by drilling out that entire recess on one side and have the bottom of the socket sitting on the inner surface of the opposite side recess and securing it with a nut on the other side. I will likely take this to a gunsmith to get done cleanly as I was only comfortable drilling a screw hole into the recess20230914_212049.thumb.jpg.c0fa522e758b1e68f042d382db5019ee.jpg

I drilled out the stock where it looks like should have a qd cup installed from the factory, (it should) using a 1/2" bit, drill all the way through the first wall, but not the second one. 
Used a Magpul (MAG333-Type1) mount kit, you will have to tap the cup in using a poly or rubber hammer, the fit is tight. 
Then with a 3/16" bit use the cup as a guide and drill the hole for the screw through the other wall. I also used a delryn spacer inside the stock to keep the screw from pulling the qd cup into the stock or breaking the wall on the screw side.
Worked well.

33 minutes ago, Carlos560 said:
I drilled out the stock where it looks like should have a qd cup installed from the factory, (it should) using a 1/2" bit, drill all the way through the first wall, but not the second one. 
Used a Magpul (MAG333-Type1) mount kit, you will have to tap the cup in using a poly or rubber hammer, the fit is tight. 
Then with a 3/16" bit use the cup as a guide and drill the hole for the screw through the other wall. I also used a delryn spacer inside the stock to keep the screw from pulling the qd cup into the stock or breaking the wall on the screw side.
Worked well.

I put the nut inside the qd cup and the screw head in from the opposite side with a small washer, using the shortest screw that came with the kit and first used pencil eraser to hold the nut in place to get it started then a small flathead screwdriver from a glasses repair kit put in between the flat of the nut and the qd cup wall to finish tightening.

IMG_5613.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

Sorry I didn’t see this, but my QD mount is not compatible (I have this buttstock), but I might be able to make a small adjustment on it to work, if I can ever make it work I’ll let ya’ll know.

1 hour ago, RxArms said:

Sorry I didn’t see this, but my QD mount is not compatible (I have this buttstock), but I might be able to make a small adjustment on it to work, if I can ever make it work I’ll let ya’ll know.

I'm the guy that emailed you this weekend, you can probably tell by my photos!

Thanks again for your info.

• Like 1