New Benelli M4 3 position stock hard to adjust??

KCshooter

New Benelli M4 owner.  Just received model 11715, which comes with the 3 position adjustable stock, and I am finding that, out of the box, it is very hard to adjust.  I twist it to the right and then it is very hard to move to the 2nd and 1st positions and then back all the way extended.  I did put a very small amount of lube on the recoil tube and this seemed to help somewhat.  Is this normal for a new gun?  Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated!!  Am I missing something?....This is my first Benelli M4.

• Like 1

Understood and appreciate your response.  From the youtube vids I have watched, it looks super simple to adjust, but that has not been the case so far.  It is brand new, so hopefully it will wear in some.  I don't think I'll be adjusting it much, but was surprised that it was not a smooth adjustment.  Thanks @brightt!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Are you holding the unlock button in the entire time while you adjust the stock?

Yes I am.  Assume this is correct?  It is particularly more difficult the closer to being fully closed.  Wondering if I should apply a small amount of CLP on the unload mechanism?  Thank you @StrangerDanger for your response.

Yeah, holding the button in when adjusting is recommended since the pin drags if you don’t. You can try some oil and hopefully you can just cycle it a bunch of times to break it in. 

It sounds like part of the receiver extension didn’t get machined correctly since the tolerances vary depending on position. It’s doubtful that Benelli will warranty it, but if it’s bad enough you could probably do an aftermarket extension and pick up like a 5 position tube to get some additional benefits. The swap isn’t the most fun though. 

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Yeah, holding the button in when adjusting is recommended since the pin drags if you don’t. You can try some oil and hopefully you can just cycle it a bunch of times to break it in. 

It sounds like part of the receiver extension didn’t get machined correctly since the tolerances vary depending on position. It’s doubtful that Benelli will warranty it, but if it’s bad enough you could probably do an aftermarket extension and pick up like a 5 position tube to get some additional benefits. The swap isn’t the most fun though. 

Thanks @StrangerDanger!  I certainly will try and oil it some.  I've not shot it yet, so hopefully it will loosen up some with use.  I have read that replacing the tube is a pain and don't want to do that for sure!  Thanks for the advice!

Thanks @RxArms....good to know!  I've got it to where it is much smoother to adjust from 3rd (fully out) to 2nd (middle) position.  However, going from 2nd to all the way in and then back out remains very tight.  Hoping with some wear it will smooth out some.  BTW, I've been eying several goodies from you.....QD sling, bolt release tab and heat shield (when back in stock)!  How about some Black Friday action??!! 😁

Edited by KCshooter
  • Like 1

Several years ago I handled an M4 with a collapsible stock at a local shop. The stock was difficult to adjust from one position to another. I kept fiddling with it and hard a hard time with the short amount of time I was able to handle it. Even the guy who worked there had a hard time with it too.

I really wish someone would come out with a similar collapsible stock at a reasonable price.

My three position stock was very difficult to adjust as well. I switched to a 6 position stock with the same difficulty. It just seemed like the tolerance was too tight. I removed the stock and wrapped some steel wool around a drill bit and used the drill and steel wool inside the receiver of the stock. It worked! I may have smoothed it out a little too much as it is really easy to adjust but it does lock solidly in position. So small amounts of polishing at a time is a better procedure. 

14 hours ago, NineInchNails said:

Several years ago I handled an M4 with a collapsible stock at a local shop. The stock was difficult to adjust from one position to another. I kept fiddling with it and hard a hard time with the short amount of time I was able to handle it. Even the guy who worked there had a hard time with it too.

I really wish someone would come out with a similar collapsible stock at a reasonable price.

I bought model 11715 but almost bought either 11714 or 11732 which is the Gen 2 with a 5 position stock that appears like it might be much smoother to adjust.....just preferred the 11715.  Had no idea that the tolerances were this tight....my first shotgun purchase as I own AR platform rifles and never had this experience with those collapseble stocks.

3 hours ago, Jetspeed31 said:

My three position stock was very difficult to adjust as well. I switched to a 6 position stock with the same difficulty. It just seemed like the tolerance was too tight. I removed the stock and wrapped some steel wool around a drill bit and used the drill and steel wool inside the receiver of the stock. It worked! I may have smoothed it out a little too much as it is really easy to adjust but it does lock solidly in position. So small amounts of polishing at a time is a better procedure. 

Interesting thought and something I never considered doing to the inside of the receiver.  Might consider this if it does not losen up some....just hate the thought of having to do this on such an expensive shotgun!!  @Jetspeed31, would you mind sharing how far into the inside of the receiver you used steel wool?  Thanks for sharing your experience!

Edited by KCshooter

Just a thought on the M4 buttstock for those that feel it is sub par.. I’ve seen a lot of collapsible stocks, and I can’t recall any that come close to the quality of the M4 legacy buttstock.  Not often do you see an aluminum frame collapsible buttstock, everything these days is made out of polymer.  It is one of a kind imo, and this is why it is so expensive, I haven’t seen any clones but I doubt clones have aluminum buttstocks.  

• Upvote 1