Benelli M4 Collapsible Stock Thud Sound Question

Apollyon

I'm new to firearms, recently got my license to own one earlier this year. My first firearm is the Benelli M4. So far, I've only been able to fire 30 rounds through it. I'm hoping this winter to be able to fire more. I have 2 questions actually. My first question, is the stock suppose to have some sort of wiggle to it when you wiggle it left and right? Second question, when applying force towards the butt of the stock, I hear a thud sound when applying pressure to my shoulder. Anyone know what the thud sound is, and if it's normal to hear this. I basically pretend as if the shotgun is going off and the force is being sent to my shoulder. When I did fire the shotgun, I never noticed this. Anyhow, I figured to come here and ask people who have far more experience than I do. I'm from Canada, so that might answer a few questions regarding my post lmao.

Thanks in advance.

The movement seems pretty normal although the amount can vary a little bit between individual guns. I also have one of @RxArms six position recoil tubes which seemed to lessen my stocks play a bit from the oem if I remember correctly.

I don't think the sound is anything to be worried about. Your stock seems to be locking in to place.

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:11 AM, Ihrinwe said:

The movement seems pretty normal although the amount can vary a little bit between individual guns. I also have one of @RxArms six position recoil tubes which seemed to lessen my stocks play a bit from the oem if I remember correctly.

I don't think the sound is anything to be worried about. Your stock seems to be locking in to place.

Now that you mention it, I do remember a bit of rotational play on my stock tube as well, but it went away with Robb's tube.

My issue is, I live in Canada and I can't seem to find a website or place to buy OEM parts for the Benelli. Canada sucks :( It's kinda why I am concern with certain things regarding my shotgun.

Also, do you guys store the gun with a snap cap in the chamber and firearm uncocked? I have dry fired my Benelli M4 maybe 20 times during ownership of December 2022. Few days ago I bought snap caps and dry fired a few times to get a feel of them. However, I wasn't sure if it was okay to store the firearm with it in the chamber.

One last question... How is the coating on the barrel? My Briley 13" handguard scratched the barrel :( I oiled the shit out of the barrel now. Worried about rust. And considering it's hard to get OEM parts, it does worry me lol

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

My issue is, I live in Canada and I can't seem to find a website or place to buy OEM parts for the Benelli. Canada sucks :( It's kinda why I am concern with certain things regarding my shotgun.

Also, do you guys store the gun with a snap cap in the chamber and firearm uncocked? I have dry fired my Benelli M4 maybe 20 times during ownership of December 2022. Few days ago I bought snap caps and dry fired a few times to get a feel of them. However, I wasn't sure if it was okay to store the firearm with it in the chamber.

One last question... How is the coating on the barrel? My Briley 13" handguard scratched the barrel :( I oiled the shit out of the barrel now. Worried about rust. And considering it's hard to get OEM parts, it does worry me lol

Cerekote the gun if you're concerned. Others may call me a heretic but I'm a beliverer in PERMANENT rust prevention and that will do the trick. Plus you get to pick a cool color. YOLO

Edited by StreetSweeper56
  • Like 1

@Apollyon

I just picked up my first M4 (M1014) at the end of last month. Mine didn't have anywhere near that much play. I did also upgrad ro @RxArms 6 position tube. Absolutley no play in his product. Super solid and allows for the mentioned 6 positions for better length of pull and storage. He is out of Canada. With a vise, a heat gun and some patience, the instructions from @StrangerDanger were spot on and made for an easy installation. Might be an option for you to consider. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Icarus2.0 said:

@Apollyon

I just picked up my first M4 (M1014) at the end of last month. Mine didn't have anywhere near that much play. I did also upgrad ro @RxArms 6 position tube. Absolutley no play in his product. Super solid and allows for the mentioned 6 positions for better length of pull and storage. He is out of Canada. With a vise, a heat gun and some patience, the instructions from @StrangerDanger were spot on and made for an easy installation. Might be an option for you to consider. 🤷‍♂️

I may have to look at that 6 position tube if anything. I rarely have time to fire the M4 sadly. When I last fired it, I don't feel the play in the stock when pushing against my shoulder. We'll see, next time I fire it, if I notice the play I may need to replace the tube with RxArms version. The thud should did have me worried though until I was told it's normal. I'm like damn... the thud doesn't seem good. If I fire, will the stock just slam into the firearm because it's not grabbing to the indents in the tube? Anyway, good to know it's normal. Again, when firing the firearm, the thud sound doesn't make itself known. Could be due to the fact, a big BOOM masks everything else around me lmao.

Edited by Apollyon
  • Upvote 1