recoil

janmiranda

I read a magazine review that said the Benelli 12 gauge beat him up to the point that his teeth hurt. Another showed a lady shooting a 20 gauge and she gave very good comment. I want a Montelfeltro short stock 20 gauge but since I have had shoulder injuries and there is no way I will get to shoot one before I buy I need some experienced owners to give me their lowdown. Can you give me a comparison to another brand that I might have used myself. I know this is a silly question but I need advise.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/2_%20of%20spotlight_hunting_shotgun_xtrema2.cfm for $400.00 more i guess it would be lighter in recoil kinda like your pocket book!! Just depends on what ya going to shoot and type of rounds ya plan on shooting Beretta shotguns are Fine shotguns but if ya have a medical condition that limits your recoil ability the 400.00 would be well spent but i would shoot one before i bought one!! Gun manufacturers are in the business for one benefit, which is their benefit and they can claim loads of stuff but see if ya can find one at a range and see if they will let ya shoot it!! Shotguns of almost all types have heavy recoil and their are differences in felt recoil but at the end of the day they are a shotgun!! I have heard that the Browning Cynergy's have very low recoil!! I was looking for an OU and lotta people say they just do not kick hard at all!!

I guess my earlier reply was not written well since someone took exception to it. Let me explain in a little more detail.

I own 2 inertia-ejection 12ga sotguns. One Benelli and one Remington. I also own a Weatherby Orion O/U 12 ga. My other shot gun is a Remington 1100 12 ga gas-operated ejection. I would place the felt recoil of the two inertia-ejection semi-autos in the same ballpark with the O/U. I wouls say that the felt recoil of the Remington 1100 is NOTICEABLY less.

My personal opinion--if recoil is a big consideration, go with a gas-oprated ejection. They require more care and cleaning but the felt recoil is less.

I didn't say anything about the other shotguns in my first reply because this is a Benelli forum and you specifically asked about Benelli. My bad.

Ok, I have shot so many rounds through shotguns I had to have neck surgery and I'm here to tell you for 12 gauge shooting nothing beats a gas gun, with the Beretta leading the pack. I have two Berettas and two Benelli hunting guns and guess which ones get pulled out to shoot. If you are recoil sensitive go with a gas gun. There are many excellent makes and models to choose from in a myriad of price points. A Benelli is super easy to clean and uber reliable, but will kick the snot out of you. That being said if you like 20 gauges have the barrels forcing cones lengthened and ported with 2 rows and your Benelli 20 gauge will kick like a 410 magnum. But the 12 will still kick hard. Oh, and get a kick-ezz trap dude recoil pad.

The getting beat to death by a 12 gauge is just as apt to happen with a 20 Gauge, numerous reason and if ya can't figure them out ya probably have not shot many shotguns!! Different scenarios will pose different recoil results and the 20 is possible of a higher recoil than a 12 when set up differently!

I got my wife the 20g Montefeltro and had her fitted(stock adjusted and cut down). I put a Packmayr sporting clays pad on it and she says it is the lightest recoil gun she has shot to date. She has shot a 391, OU, pump, my SS and so on and loves her gun. I think fit is most important. By the way she is 96lbs and 5'2. Tiny women and the gun is awesome.

CR

The getting beat to death by a 12 gauge is just as apt to happen with a 20 Gauge, numerous reason and if ya can't figure them out ya probably have not shot many shotguns!! Different scenarios will pose different recoil results and the 20 is possible of a higher recoil than a 12 when set up differently!

A 20 ga. was designed to shoot 7/8 oz. loads. Increasingly, however, the average load being marketed is a 1 oz. load. These mothers kick Harder in a lt. wt. 20 than a 12. I have my Beretta AL391 twelve ga. and I shoot 24 gram/ 7/8 oz loads through it and at 8.5 lbs. or so, it's like shooting a pop gun. Again if you do the forcing cones with porting and maybe even backboring you can get a 20 to almost no recoil with a kick-ezz trap dude pade and std. 20 ga loads. By the way, I could never get my Benelli 12's to shoot 7/8 oz (24 gram) loads without malfunctions.

I got my wife the 20g Montefeltro and had her fitted(stock adjusted and cut down). I put a Packmayr sporting clays pad on it and she says it is the lightest recoil gun she has shot to date. She has shot a 391, OU, pump, my SS and so on and loves her gun. I think fit is most important. By the way she is 96lbs and 5'2. Tiny women and the gun is awesome thing back now.

CR

I know what you mean.

recoil is something to be embraced and tamed,,I thankfully have healthy shoulders so I shoot heavy stuff ,,00,,,000,magnum load slug,,etc,,,girls should shoot 20 ga,,they would enjoy shotgunning alot then,,men are always looking to tame the 12 ga to get back on target quickly,,which is cool,,remember,,recoil is your friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Wait till you have neck surgery from shooting heavy 12 bore loads. A 12 biore shottie with magnum loads kicks right up their with magnum rifles, and you don't usually shoot a couple hundred 300 win mags a day, do ya?

your handle should be joannie whinnie B!tch,,

I own the Beretta Xtrema II - love the gun. The recoil on that when shooting a 2-3/4" shell is less than the felt recoil of my 20 gauge Benelli Nova. As for the heavier loads, well, of course they kick more, just not as much as they might in another gun. The 3-1/2" loads still leave a mark on my shoulder and are not loads I'd want to shoot all day long.

I also own the Browning Cynergy, and love that gun as well. The recoil on it isn't as good as the Xtrema, but pretty close, enough so that I don't mind shooting it anyway.

I'm definitely recoil sensitive and the main reason I purchased those two shotguns was due to their recoil control. I've not regretted either purchase.

I couldn't say how they compare to something like the SBE II, though. I haven't shot one of those, but some day I'll shoot one so I can have a better idea and comparisson.

Oh, and btw, recoil is not your friend - it never has been. Recoil pulls you off target for quick follow-up shots, and not to mention it can hurt like ****.

M1014 - My first shotgun was a 20 gauge. I bought it because I hate recoil. I'm far from being a girl, and will be one to buy shotguns that have less recoil because I love to shoot, and I love to hunt, and I'm able to do both without trying to sound like some macho

recoil is something to be embraced and tamed

girls should shoot 20 ga

Which is it, dude? Embraced and tamed, or only girls shoot 20 gauges?

My first shotgun was a 20 gauge. I bought it because I hate recoil. I'm far from being a girl, and will be one to buy shotguns that have less recoil because I love to shoot, and I love to hunt. I've seen plenty of guys kill whatever they want with a 20 gauge, even up to geese - they just don't get to shoot them at 50 yards out.

So is it that real men only shoot 12 gauges, or is the 12 gauge a pen!s extention for some guys?

I dunno... just sayin... ;)

Can you give me a comparison to another brand that I might have used myself. I know this is a silly question but I need advise.

Jan, maybe answer a few more questions for us so we know a little more about you to be able to help you better. Answer these "Tucker" questions for us if you will:

1. What gun have been shooting?
  2. What do like about it? What do you dislike about it?
  3. Have you disassembled and cleaned any shotguns?
  4. How tall are you?
  5. How big are you?
  6. How strong are you?
  7. Are you bothered by recoil?
  8. Are you right-handed or left-handed?
  9. You like the way the Benelli feels. Please elaborate. Is it the weight, the fit, pointability or all?
  10. Do you understand the essential differences between gas-operated guns and inertia-operated guns?

I've just recently got a SuperNova Tactical with the pistol grip stock. When comparing it to a regular Nova, the pistol grip seems to give the "sensation" of less violent recoil with heavy loads which I thought might be due to your hand absorbing more recoil rather than transfering all to your shoulder. Is this all in my mind or has anyone else noticed this? Could this possibly help a "recoil sensitive" shooter?

Yeah, I just now started shooting PG stocks for the first time recently when I got my 11707's and I instantly notice how they seem to tame the recoil a bit. I also noticed I can't swing on a moving target near as well as a traditional stock. I like the PG for shooting at stationary targets much better however, especially with slugs and the excellent ghost rings. Iwas surprised how accurate the gun is with slugs (practical accuracy offhand). I plan on using the gun for sure for turkey hunting (and they say the gun has no sporting purpose) as I think it will make an ideal gun for turkeys and I think I might try to take a big game animal as well with a slug. I was pleasantly surprised to find my guns- after proper break-in with magnums will now shoot the 7/8 oz Winchester Super Speed loads for plinking at targets with the kid and wife. It hardly kicks at all and cycles beautifully! I like the fact that with my UNSPORTING and BANNED collapsible stock my small statured family members can have a gun that fits them with the stock in the middle position and fits me fully extended. Benelli and the ATF really did a disservice to Benneli owners when they decided to ban this stock for civilian purchase. My family members are too small to shoot this gun comfortably with the non collapsible stocks.

My first shotgun was a 20 gauge. I bought it because I hate recoil. I'm far from being a girl, and will be one to buy shotguns that have less recoil because I love to shoot, and I love to hunt. I've seen plenty of guys kill whatever they want with a 20 gauge, even up to geese - they just don't get to shoot them at 50 yards out

DCP_0599.jpg

DCP_0598.jpg

These and dozens more were shot with 20 gauges, they can definately do it. If they are 35 yards and under I'm plenty comfortable with a 20, and pleasant to shoot. I have never been affected with recoil, shot my dads mossberg tactical 12 gauge when I was 10, it kicked a little hard for how small I was but I was never bothered by it. Prefering a 20 doesn't make you a girl.

Nice take! What ammo did you use Liberty or Death Jr?

On something only partly related, I took my 6 year old son to the range for his first full auto session with MP5, suppressed. Big smile on his face, and very controllable because of low recoil. I'm not a girly man but I don't look like governor Ahnold either HeHe.