Why use an extended choke?

LabradorGuy

http://www.trulockchokes.com/chokeinfo.asp extended chokes will keep shotstring together longer for a longer shot say for Turkeys at an extended range or Geese at an extended range. Benelli also recommends not to use hevi-shot/steel shot in OEM chokes Improved Mod or Full and, they need to be aftermarket tubes which are specd for its specific use! due to choke damage if ya do use it with OEM Benelli tubes! here is some good info http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotguns-shooting.html explains a lot!

I see a lot of people buying extended choke tubes but I have no idea why. I've asked a few of my friends, but they all come up with different answers, most of them sounding dubious at best. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks.

I started shooting sporting clays with my M2 and I bought a set of extended chokes for the gun. They made it easier to tell what was in the gun and to change chokes, if needed, between stations.

Mike

I see a lot of people buying extended choke tubes but I have no idea why. I've asked a few of my friends, but they all come up with different answers, most of them sounding dubious at best. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks.

If you have to ask, you just have not done your field work :)

I pattern hundreds if not thousands of rounds through dozens of choke tubes.

I get better patterns with certain choke tubes.

I have chokes for windy days that throw a more dense pattern.

I have chokes that like certain brands of shot. Not all shot material patterns the same way.

I have chokes that prefer certain sizes of shot. There are few chokes that will work well with all sizes of shot.

I like how extended chokes are easier to remove by hand.

I will sometimes use 3-4 chokes during a single hunt.

Don't even get me started on turkey chokes. Only a real moron would question the use of extended turkey chokes.

aside from the reasons give by others extended chokes have a longer "constriction zone" and some add a short parallel section past the "constriction zone" both improve pattern performance. if it wasn't so expensive to make the best barrel would have a constriction zone the full length of the barrel....this was/is done on high end double guns....gradually "choking" a 28" barrel vs putting the constriction 1" from the muzzle makes for a denser pattern (less flyers). That is more or less the reasoning behind longer or extended chokes....other than they look nice and are easier to remove without a tool. ;)