Benelli AR15ish ARGO Rifle Thingy

OhioM4

Never considered myself an assault rifle kind of guy but I may have to get me one of these. I can send it off to Italy with my M4 and have them engraved as a limited edition matched set...set number 1 of 1. :D

Benelli MR1 Carbine (Civilian Beretta Rx4 Storm)

Benelli, not wanting to miss out, has entered the lucrative black rifle market with Benelli MR1 Carbine, a 5.56mm gas piston operated rifle.

BENELLI-MR1-Carbine-tm.jpg

Benelli MR1 Carbine

The MR1 Carbine is the civilian version of the Beretta Rx4 Storm. Benelli, a subsidiary of Beretta, designed the ARGO gas system used by the MR1/Rx4 and, at least in Italy, manufactured both the MR1 and the Rx4 Storm. I suspect that the MR1’s sold in the United States will be manufactured at the Beretta plant.

That was taken care of back in the early days of Viet Nam. But you go ahead and keep living in the past. :p

No, proven by the Contras in the jungles of Central America, as told to me by someone who was contracted to be there.

It doesn't take an astrophysicist to conclude that something which ****s where it eats is going to get indigestion on occasion.

Where's the daggone skeleton stock from the Rx4? WTF is with Benelli USA and its refusal to make collapisble stocks available in the US? They know we Americans demand adjustible LOP, don't they?

And, yes, the AR-15 is considerably more reliable that it was back in the 16's and early 70's; particularly with piston systems becoming the standard moving forward. That said, because of its close tolerances, it can still jam quite easily when grime gets around the bolt head; and civilian rifle manufactures are making more and more AR's without forward assist and ejection port covers. I'm going to stop there before I get too off-topic and start ranting. Suffice it to say, the AR-15 is still my go-to firearm if I need a carbine for mid-range target engagement. (But I'm a Marine who keeps his firearms very clean.)

Edited by LeoAtrox

Where's the daggone skeleton stock from the Rx4? WTF is with Benelli USA and its refusal to make collapisble stocks available in the US? They know we Americans demand adjustible LOP, don't they?

And, yes, the AR-15 is considerably more reliable that it was back in the 16's and early 70's; particularly with piston systems becoming the standard moving forward. That said, because of its close tolerances, it can still jam quite easily when grime gets around the bolt head; and civilian rifle manufactures are making more and more AR's without forward assist and ejection port covers. I'm going to stop there before I get too off-topic and start ranting. Suffice it to say, the AR-15 is still my go-to firearm if I need a carbine for mid-range target engagement. (But I'm a Marine who keeps his firearms very clean.)

Being that you're a Marine who experienced the proper training in care and maintenance of the M16 DI platform along with the discipline to do so makes all the difference in the world. The AR is definitely not suited to someone who lacks that experience, especially noobs.

I've been very interested in the gas piston conversions on the AR, not that I'm a big 5.56 fan, but I'm heavily leaning toward the 6.5 Grendel. But as a friend pointed out to me the other day that most, if not all (the LWRC complete rifle possibly being the sole exception, dunno about the Ruger) of the piston conversions on the AR are showing an inordinate amount wear on the buffer tube in very short order as a result of the off center vector applied to the bcg by the piston.

I'm really looking forward to the BM/Remington ACR and would really like to get one in 6.5G.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

I saw the R1 pictures and noticed the piston was really short and stubby compared to the pistons in the M4. The profile of the MR1 looked similar to the M4 and I was hoping for a different piston design. From the recent photos posted it looks like the MR1 will have the stubby piston similar to the R1. Oh well, I could dream couldn't I.

ACCOKEEK, MD (August 1, 2009) -- A combat carbine has to perform the first time, every time. The ultra-reliable ARGO (Auto-Regulating-Gas-Operated) system incorporated into the new Benelli MR1 does it for the U.S. military, and now can be the centerpiece of an effective home defense plan. The MR1 rifle, Benelli’s latest offering, is chambered in 5.56mm NATO (.223 Rem.) and uses the battle-proven ARGO system—the same system developed by Benelli for the M1014 and used for over a decade in multiple conflicts by the United States Marine Corps.

The sights are a military-style aperture, adjustable for windage and elevation in the field, using only a cartridge rim. A Picatinny rail allows mounting of both conventional and night-vision sights, while retaining metallic-sight capability. All steel parts are black phosphated and aluminum parts are hard-anodized in a matte finish for low visibility and corrosion resistance. The Benelli MR1 carbine comes standard with a five-round magazine, and can also accept standard M16 magazines. An optional Picatinny tri-rail forend kit is available for mounting a laser aiming device, front handle, illuminator and other accessories.

The MR1 features a stainless steel, self-cleaning piston that operates directly against the proven rotating bolt, thereby eliminating the need for complex linkages found on other inferior gas systems. This piston-driven system (ARGO), perfected by Benelli, incorporates a gas port located just forward of the chamber where the gases are hotter and cleaner, resulting in less fouling and more reliable cycling. In function testing the MR1 exceeded the military requirements without malfunction. The result is a Benelli carbine with Marine-tough reliability able to function under the harshest environmental conditions.

“The MR1 is another great development, and certainly a major milestone for Benelli,” said Stephen McKelvain, Benelli's VP of Marketing & Communications. “Any shooter who appreciates accuracy and reliability will have to own a Benelli MR1.”

Specifications:

Model

MR1

Caliber

5.56mm NATO (.223 Rem.)

Barrel Length

16 inches

Sights

Military-style Aperture Sight

MetalFinish

Black phosphate & hard-anodized in matte black finish

Stock

TacticalPistol Grip

AverageWeight

7.9 lbs.

OverallLength

37.1 inches

BoreCharacteristics

Hardchrome lined with a 1-in-9 right hand twist

Methodof Operation

ARGO (Auto-Regulating-Gas-Operated)

MSRP

$1299

... uses the battle-proven ARGO system—the same system developed by Benelli for the M1014 and used for over a decade in multiple conflicts by the United States Marine Corps...

Based on the photos posted of the stubby piston and the pitting and corrosion, I fail to see any similarity between the pistons on the shotguns and the ones on the rifle. The shotgun pistons are long enough and have enough ribs on them that I can see them continuing to function even if they corrode and pit. The rifle piston looks like the operating area is so short that any pitting is guaranteed to have a detrimental effect. I had hoped for more commitment to quality from Benelli. It looks like they are just jumping on the "Black Rifle" bandwagon:(

Based on the photos posted of the stubby piston and the pitting and corrosion, I fail to see any similarity between the pistons on the shotguns and the ones on the rifle. The shotgun pistons are long enough and have enough ribs on them that I can see them continuing to function even if they corrode and pit. The rifle piston looks like the operating area is so short that any pitting is guaranteed to have a detrimental effect. I had hoped for more commitment to quality from Benelli. It looks like they are just jumping on the "Black Rifle" bandwagon:(

Shotguns operate at very low pressure compared to rifles. your M4S90 is very un-likely to suffer pitting like this.

Have you ever owned an AR?

Nope. The M4 was my first fire arm purchase. I've determined I'm more afraid of Obama than burglars at this point. I'm thinking of purchasing an AR and a semi auto pistol with some hi capacity mags, possibly a Glock or a Sig. I've done research on the pistols and have rented a variety of them at the range. I don't have much info on the ARs. I've looked at the S&W M&P series and the Sig 556. Both are pricey and I wouldn't know a quality AR if it shot me in the a$$.