(LAW ? ) To Extension Tube or New Tube, that is the question

M4JOHN

Hello, I’m new to this forum, Currently Living in the PRK, not sure why anymore.... anyway....

I am the proud owner of two M4's non LE version. One of which was purchased in Las Vegas and came with the extension tube installed, though I believe it is after market. (Father actually purchased it for me... retired LA county Sherriff Detp. )

I’m wondering if there is a difference in the law(USC 922r) in relation to the addition of the extension tube and simply replacing the entire tube; for a US made 6 rd tube? I guess my confusion is this, is the addition of the extension tube be considered as "modifying and or producing" as it applies to replacement of the tube under USC 922r? And if it were, would I then have to replace other non imported items on the weapon to bring it to compliance if I did have the extension tube installed?... I have searched this for a while, probably too long in that now, I’m swimming in complicated details up to my arm pits.

thank you in advance !

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or expert on Section 922 of US Code.

Since the magazine is not removable without tools, it is an integral part of the firearm. Therefore, replacing it would constitute "modifying" the firearm under the law.

You would then be legally obligated to install additional compliance parts to bring the firearm into compliance.

922® is a simple law with very complicated application. I believe its intent was to regulate or prohibit the manufacture of firearms within the United States from imported parts, and to limit the practice of "upgrading" imported firearms for re-sale profit; not to impose on inidividual citizens' rights to do what they please with their own property. That said, it does place an undue burden on the owners of foreign-manufactured firearms; as we are subject to the law's unintended consequences--assuming they are so unintended.

No big deal & not trying to flame you :) everyone knows it's probably not correct but can i get by with it, sure you can but is it legal or illegal? Probably not, but who is going to catch you or even care? If you live in Cali i would be concerned, if not i would do what i wanted and not be overly concerned!

CONCERNED?? one should move A.S.A.P. out of that commie state!!!:Dand keep your head up there and watch your back mr JOHN!!

yea, i know .........

:rolleyes:

Anyway... All I wanted to know was if adding a extender was any way different than changing the tube outright...

just a bit confused.... Im not too concerend about it. Just trying to get a little help and some clearification.

may I ask what you meen by that.... there are two ways I can interprit that...

1) same as adding an import (non us made ) tube

2) same as adding a tube ( as seen on the imported parts list)

either way i need to add enough us made parts to bring in to complience, correct?

thanks D for your time

trying not to wear you out here....

The way I see it is if you are not doing anything wrong you probably aint gonna get messed with. Most LE in our great state of california would have no clue what 922r is anyways. If they did I they wouldnt mess with you unless you were in the wrong.

Now I hate our silly laws that we have so many loop holes to get around them anyways so why have them. But come on the weather here is the best on the planet. If you were lucky enough to live in SD where its 75-85 degrees year around. How many of you are getting snowed on right now,lol

But come on the weather here is the best on the planet. If you were lucky enough to live in SD where its 75-85 degrees year around. How many of you are getting snowed on right now,lol

Haha I have to disagree completely rocket, if it was 75-85 degrees year around I would be upset. A 40 degree average temp would be more my speed, and unfortunately no, I'm not getting snowed on :(

:p

Thanks Rocket... Im in the OC not the SD, Close enough... weird that it raind last week, seems thats the most I recall it raining in years....

yes.. I agree with all your statements and am putting this topic to bed... been beat to a pulp over and over... and my question has been answered.

Happy HOLIDAYS Everyone! ! ! !

Thanks Rocket... Im in the OC not the SD, Close enough... weird that it raind last week, seems thats the most I recall it raining in years....

yes.. I agree with all your statements and am putting this topic to bed... been beat to a pulp over and over... and my question has been answered.

Happy HOLIDAYS Everyone! ! ! !

Still great weather there also. Im in nor-cal so it rains a bit more here but not much. We had a very thin layer of snow a few weeks ago 1st time since 1974 according to the news.

happy holidays to you also.

Replacing the entire tube isn't the same as adding an extension tube.

Replacing the entire tube with one made in the good ole USA is one of the restricted parts for 922 compliance. Adding the extension does nothing for you.

Change the entire tube, follower and a muzzle device. Hmmmm muzzle device would that be a choke tube from Briley? That's 3 parts I don't know if you need to change more.

If you do need to change more, since this is a ghetto blaster shotgun that you've already paid too much money for, get a Sure Fire fore end and I'm pretty sure you've changed as many parts as you need to.

That would make 4 parts you've change if the choke counts and you won't get an answer from anybody on that.

922 is federal not just California.

Replacing the entire tube isn't the same as adding an extension tube.

Replacing the entire tube with one made in the good ole USA is one of the restricted parts for 922 compliance. Adding the extension does nothing for you.

Change the entire tube, follower and a muzzle device. Hmmmm muzzle device would that be a choke tube from Briley? That's 3 parts I don't know if you need to change more.

If you do need to change more, since this is a ghetto blaster shotgun that you've already paid too much money for, get a Sure Fire fore end and I'm pretty sure you've changed as many parts as you need to.

That would make 4 parts you've change if the choke counts and you won't get an answer from anybody on that.

922 is federal not just California.

According to the response letter I received from the ATF, Muzzle device is not one of the 13 parts that they condider the M4 to be comprised of so a US made choke would not count as a part that would help reduce your part count to 10. Refer to this thread for more detailed info on this subject:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19539&highlight=atf+response+922r

Later,

Hookster :)

Basically, your choices are as follows in terms of trying to be in compliance with 922® and US made parts:

full length magazine tube or magazine extension

follower

ungodly expensive fore end from Surefire or other manufacturer

My m4 will be compliant. It costs to be the boss, but there's a part of me that wishes I had bought the Remington instead.

Enjoy it: I haven't even taken my gun out yet. Still need to pattern it, shoot slugs, etc.