Lethality of bird shot

tucker301

I could care less about the "ethics and morality" of hunting.

I care about people convincing themselves and others that birdshot is a legitimate home defense round, if only because this misinformation gets spread around like a plague beset upon the world ... and it is my role in life to be a shining spotlight of enlightenment and illumination, eradicating the illogical and inefficient practices of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

i like shooting deer with arrows so they die more slowly and in pain....usually several hundred yards from my treestand....where they leave little or no blood trail and I can't find them....this way the coyotes and black bears can survive the winter!

seriously, im kinda envious of "tucker" or rather whatever state he lives in?!?! heck in ohio you cant even hunt ducks during the deer gun season....we can't even shoot deer with guns except for that 1 week in december or those 4 days of muzzy season in January!!! we have to use slugs ONLY, too (unless you use a handgun of legal caliber)!!! maybe this is why ohio has too many deer, the stupid hunting regulations are in favor of more bow hunting and less gun hunting???

here's a stupid ohio hunting law for you....it is legal to hunt coyotes during the deer gun season (all other game is off limits for 1 full week) but only if you have a valid deer tag and you are hunting with slugs only (or that legal handgun mentioned earlier). why can't i take a page from "tucker's" book and kill squirrels or grouse or rabbits or ducks while I'm deer hunting with slugs? i can do it with a slug, too! why just limit me to coyotes? i hate the taste of coyote!

personally, i don't care what a guy uses to hunt with or what he wants to hunt! ethics are in the mind of the believer...i know lots of coon hunters with trophy bucks hanging on their wall and none of these guys hunt in the daytime or with anything larger than a .22 mag! speaking of rifles, i think rifles of certain calibers should be legal for deer in ohio but because of the society we live in today they probably never will be legal for deer! however, I can go out and hunt coyotes or ground hogs with a .308 anytime of the year (except deer gun week!) here in Ohio but apparently the .308 is WAY too deadly or dangerous during deer season?!?! I'd suggest to the ODNR that they establish a deer rifle season and only those who can pass a marksmanship and written test be allowed to hunt with a rifle...this would weedout those "goobers" and we got plenty of them "goobers" in Ohio, too!

congrats on the deer tucker and don't chip a tooth while eating that deer sausage. ;)

I could care less about the "ethics and morality" of hunting.

I care about people convincing themselves and others that birdshot is a legitimate home defense round, if only because this misinformation gets spread around like a plague beset upon the world ... and it is my role in life to be a shining spotlight of enlightenment and illumination, eradicating the illogical and inefficient practices of the world.

I agree but you were wrong about the deer being "weak" those deer are tougher than humans that drive cars to work and buy food, deer are out there fighting to live and they can out run or out fight any human. Keep in mind this is steel and steel has %30 less energy than lead. The deer only went 30 yards when I have seen deer hit good by a 300 win mag run 100 yards. If I was worried about about someone breaking into my house and my shotgun was my defense gun than I would put some 00 in it. However heavy bird shot is very deadly and would defiantly put a big man down. I know a kid that killed an alligator with a 410 loaded with bird shot. Not that its ideal but it is defiantly lethal and adequate for killing a human.