Did our political debate thread vanish?

needncash

Reagan ridding the world of Communism is going to come as quite a shock to China.

You remember China? They are the people the Republicans borrowed all of that money from to fund their "booming economies."

I meant the Soviet Union - not Communism. My bad.

But your beloved Reagan was a master at foreign policy. No one's arguing that. He just sucked at domestic policy.

Don't get me wrong. If you were rich, Reagan was your best friend. He cut the top tax bracket from 70% to 28%, but he didn't raise minimum wage once.

Didn't suck at all. Nobody should pay a higher RATE of tax than anyone else. Minimum wage does NOTHING to increase standard of living; it only drains jobs.

I'm simply not rich enough to be a Republican. I like guns too much to be a liberal. It's a tough spot to be in. But it is the category that probably most Americans fall into comfortably.

Starting with FDR, we've established an un-American level of dependency in this country. Thus the ridiculous assumption that most people want/need things to be done FOR them, rather than relying on themselves. That's a damn shame. Conservatism has nothing to do with income.

Extremists views and policies are not what we need right now. There is a a lot of middle ground between these two parties, but no one seems to want to step into it.

Those in the middle of the road often get run over. That's because they don't know what they believe in, so they can't make a decision on a given issue without vascillating. This indecisiveness keeps "moderates" from becoming leaders. There are far too many followers in present day America. Besides, you strike me MUCH more as a far-left type than a moderate, with your Moore-like quotations, statistics, etc.

The Democrats thought they would steamroll with the so-called super-majority, but all they did was drive a wedge in between two halves of Congress, forcing everyone to choose a side. Some even changed sides as the wedge was being driven deeper.

They also have two tards driving their steamroller.

The Republicans got their feelings hurt and decided to say no to everything, regardless of what their constituency might have felt about it. They wanted a seat at the table.

No, they just cringed at what Obama proposed.

Now they've been offered a conciliatory seat, but they're afraid to take it, because this new guy has made them look like fools once already, with his atypical knowledge of the issues.

There's much atypical about Barry; but it ain't his knowledge. "Conciliatory" = for show. Not interested.

Government is gridlocked.

Good. It does less damage that way.

While other countries move forward by implementing policies and programs, we tread water in a rip current.

Whatever. Who gives a damn what the EU does? They're in worse financial and social shape than we'll ever be. Why in the **** do leftists want to replicate Euro Trash so damn bad?

Spending v appropriation.

Presidents can spend. They just can't raise revenues without Congress. See Bush & General Motors for more on that. Although Congress had specifically declined to give money to GM, Bush pulled money from the bank bailout appropriations and gave it to them.

You know damn well that a president's budget is subject to congressional approval; and that, in order to get his priorities, a president OFTEN has to give in to dramatic increases.

I wonder what he's driving these days?

I will say you're being much more civil now. When I happened upon this thread a couple days ago, you were one arrogant, disrespectful, smart-ass dude. I've only tried to give you a dose of same.

We don't agree on much. That's obvious. Still, debate is usually a good thing, as Martha Stewart might say. God bless America.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say you're being much more civil now. When I happened upon this thread a couple days ago, you were one arrogant, disrespectful, smart-ass dude. I've only tried to give you a dose of same.

That was because the current opposition at that time was made up of three year-olds.

It has been refreshing to have an adult in the room, and I have responded in kind.

You still cast dispersions, but you certainly have a more subtle and eloquent approach than your predecessors exhibited.

I do have a hunch that skeeter is brighter than he'd have many of us believe. It's just easier to get away with being a child when you act like one.

You still stereotype me and try to fit me into an existing box, presumably so that you can better understand what you're dealing with.

I suppose I could return the favor and auto-associate you with the worst of the right.

Say perhaps Larry Craig?

Do you play coded gay pickup footsie in men's room stalls too?

I doubt that you do, but I have a need to associate you with a known negative representation of your political views, so I guess I'll go with that one for now.

So there you have it. A political debate between Larry Craig and Michael Moore, the worst of both sides, right here on a gun forum. Whodathunkit?

Conservatism has nothing to do with income.

Who said anything about Conservatism? I was talking about modern Republicans.

That was because the current opposition at that time was made up of three year-olds.

It has been refreshing to have an adult in the room, and I have responded in kind.

You still cast dispersions, but you certainly have a more subtle and eloquent approach than your predecessors exhibited.

As you might do to one of the "three year-olds", I'll correct you: it's "aspersions", not "dispersions". Look it up, if you don't believe me.:D

I do have a hunch that skeeter is brighter than he'd have many of us believe. It's just easier to get away with being a child when you act like one.

Don't know Skeeter at all. Can't help there. Seem bright enough to me, though.

You still stereotype me and try to fit me into an existing box, presumably so that you can better understand what you're dealing with. I suppose I could return the favor and auto-associate you with the worst of the right.

Say perhaps Larry Craig?

I stereotype you? Does this sound familiar (from your second post in response)?:

"I'll bet you're a Teabagger, aren't you?"

That wasn't stereotyping though, was it?

Do you play coded gay pickup footsie in men's room stalls too?

Yes, but it's been years . . .

I doubt that you do, but I have a need to associate you with a known negative representation of your political views, so I guess I'll go with that one for now.

Michael Moore, while very much a "negative representation" in my mind, appears to be an inspiration to the left. Honestly, some of the conspiratorial nonsense that you put forth has "Farenheit 911" written all over it. Larry Craig was a little-known senator from Idaho, who never was very inspirational (other than to other perverts, perhaps).

So there you have it. A political debate between Larry Craig and Michael Moore, the worst of both sides, right here on a gun forum. Whodathunkit?

You can be Michael. I'll be Ronald Reagan.:D

Who said anything about Conservatism? I was talking about modern Republicans.

I'm not a "modern Republican". I disagree with much of what they appear to stand for. I would say, though, that a modern Republican beats the **** out of a "modern Democrat" for anyone who prefers self-reliance to the Nanny State.

Just a quick comment on your last post about healthcare. The federal government has proven wholly incapable of effective management, whereas private industry (though imperfect) has a much better record over the long haul. Healthy private industry creates jobs, and opportunities for investors. Government creates fraud and waste. Care to compare the Postal Service to Fedex and UPS?

Seriously, you seem to hate our Captialist society. You seem to believe that an "honest" federal government is needed to maintain control. First of all, "honest federal government" is an oxymoron. Do you really not see that our government is full of shitbags and miscreants? Always has been, and always will be - in this country and every other. That's the nature of the beast; and that's why it should be restrained and limited, not cut loose and expanded.

I know you hate it when I quote the Dead White Guys, but here's another beauty from one who may have been EVEN SMARTER (I know, can't be) than Obama:

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." -- Thomas Paine

Oh ****, I can't help myself. Here are a few others from a guy who was OBVIOUSLY smarter than Obama:

"Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now."

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits."

"To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it."

"I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive."

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread."

All from Thomas Jefferson, of course. One of the two greatest thinkers in our nation's history. I know you think he's as useful as a "basket of puppies", but that says more about you than him.

As you can see, it's purely American, in the grandest sense of the word, to distrust and dislike (and yes, even to despise) government. Once we look to it to solve our problems and tend to us, our experiment has indeed failed.

see ya

Government creates fraud and waste. Care to compare the Postal Service to Fedex and UPS?

True, but not so true. I've heard a few horror stories of folks shipping firearms through UPS and they've just "disappeared". Usually into the hands of an overnight shipping perp..uh, I meant clerk. :D

I can't believe I've read this entire thread. From it I've come to realize (again) no one will change their political views ever, and no one will be able to convince someone else to change their political views.

Oh so true. What they believe, is what they believe, and they won't believe anything other then what they believe. And anybody who believes differently, believes wrong. :D

Edited by DOOKEY FACE

I look at it like sparring. In the martial arts of any kind, you spar to stay sharp. It's not the same as streetfighting, but it keeps you in shape.

Defending one's principles tends to do the same. It reinforces why you believe what you believe. A man ought to have a philosophy that guides him, and he ought to be able to explain it, imho. If others don't take it that seriously, so be it.

see ya