Which Light for M4?

L84Cabo

Well crud...for some reason I'm having a hard time making up my mind up on which light to get for my M4. I think i'm leaning toward the X300 as it probably has more versatility to use on other weapons (ie pistols).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any bad experiences with either setup?

Peace

http://www.surefire.com/Scout-Lightsupsup

http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

x300 is a great light.

For a close range shotgun, you may want to consider something with a wider spread ... I'm planning on using a Malkoff M60W MCE, but I don't even think they are available anymore ... it's a 400+ warm tinted super wide LED dropin. It works well at lighting up entire inside rooms at night, and it doesn't blind you when your eyes are adjusted to the dark (think about when you are woken up at night by someone breaking in your door downstairs).

A x300 should be about the same as the M600c in this picture, my light is last.

drdzdj.jpg

More infos here

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33463

x300 is a great light.

For a close range shotgun, you may want to consider something with a wider spread ... I'm planning on using a Malkoff M60W MCE, but I don't even think they are available anymore ... it's a 400+ warm tinted super wide LED dropin. It works well at lighting up entire inside rooms at night, and it doesn't blind you when your eyes are adjusted to the dark (think about when you are woken up at night by someone breaking in your door downstairs).

A x300 should be about the same as the M600c in this picture, my light is last.

drdzdj.jpg

More infos here

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33463

When I ordered my new setup today, I spoke with Gene. I mentioned that I had an M60W-MCE at one point and he almost sounded wistfull "We...don't make those anymore."

PS. Those are my pix above. If you can find an old MCE from Gene, they are like your own portable sun. It will dissappoint you during the day or at dusk, but in pitch black, it will light up an entire field with low-level light just all around. It's like carrying your own portable sun.

FWIW, the new M61W is supposed to be brighter than the original M60, with a warmer beam (around 5-5500K as opposed to about 6K or so per posts I have seen on CPF), run 30m longer, and have almost 200% as large of a hot-spot at the cost of 10% throw. This is according to Gene, per our phone conversation.

I will have item in-hand soon.

Sorry I have been a bit absent, but I have been saving my coins for a new car next year and so I have really tightened down my spending. The only reason I ended up with the M61W/6P w/Z59 combos I bought is because my sales rep mentioned to me how much he hated his mag-lite and how clunky it was. I mentioned I could build him somehting 3-400% as powerful that he could conceal in one hand and shirt-cuff. He was astouned. $125 spent, and I think that he will more than make up for it when I buy my car from him if the light impresses him as much as I think it will. Considering his 3-4D-cell Mag-Lite, it will probably make him giddy. GM has dealer-cash coupons they can alot per their discretion...

Anyway, I just had to buy one for myself, too! I loved my old M60 and M60W, although the M60W was only around 185 lumens.

While I have a Surefire M600C Scout Light on my patrol rifle, I like the Streamlight TLR-1 simply because it's affordable and is always evolving. The latest model is still about $100 but has the CREE LED with strobing feature. Who knows what the next ones will have. I'm on my second one now and haven't broke the bank. The Scout, on the other hand, costs a fortune. I'd look at the TLR-1 long and hard.

While I have a Surefire M600C Scout Light on my patrol rifle, I like the Streamlight TLR-1 simply because it's affordable and is always evolving. The latest model is still about $100 but has the CREE LED with strobing feature. Who knows what the next ones will have. I'm on my second one now and haven't broke the bank. The Scout, on the other hand, costs a fortune. I'd look at the TLR-1 long and hard.

$200 is hardly a fortune. You did it wrong. You buy an M600A for $100, you sell the head for $60, then you buy a KX2C. Done. Don't buy an M600C NIB or yeah...you are gonna get ripped. Build it and sell the KL4 on CPF.com to some guy who will lap it up (They love it for an EDC there).

I build several of those and sold at a profit over the years.

Where exactly do you get an M600A for $100? I used my GoogleFu but didn't come across anything.

The cheapest route I was able to figure out and stay "surefire" is a LED 6P (120 lumen) with a XM07 pressure switch ($129). I can always drop a Malkoff in it for $60ish if I want to boost the output. Put's me right around the $200 mark without a clamp and sans Malkoff.

Honestly, I love surefire products and I expect to pay a premium for their products. But i just don't understand why their weapon lights are so expensive? $425 for a M600C Scout light? What's in that light that warrants the extra $225 over my Frankenstein'd 6P? 80 extra lumens? For $225?

to the OP, I have both lights and really love them. I have decided that I like the x300 that I just traded my M600 for another x300 in a LaRue mount. I love the pattern of the x300 as it is super bright, has tons of spill to fill up the room and still has a powerful reach/spot light. The switch is the kicker for me as I don't prefer tape switches as I can bump the switch for a micro-second and be dark again all without breaking my grip on my pistol, shotgun or carbine.

The only thing I would trade a x300 for is the x400 with laser... and I might do that, as I now have 2 x300's. The scout is a great light and you won't be disappointed watch ar15.com as they pop up there with regularity and you can get one with the new 200 lumen head for about $200.

The only downside to a x300 on a shotgun is the mount. Unless you spend some $$$ for a quality barrel clamp/rail, then you will be scratching your head as to how to mount it. Oops, just saw your running an M4... problem solved.

I love the x300... and yes they are twice the cost of a streamlight but for a 100% made in the USA light, with incredible customer service I am in the camp that there is Surefire, then everyone else.