I miss my M4S90 : /

Unobtanium

So far:

-M4 Col. stock has arrived.

-Vltor SM-CK mount has arrived.

-Magpul rail covers have arrived.

-Tango Down Shorty VFG has arrived.

-Surefire 6P finished in IIIA Ano matte black w/stainless black bezel ring, upgraded switch (much larger contact area/capacity switch) and Surefire Pyrex lens has arrived. (Still waiting on 550+ measured OTF Lumen warm (4K tint) 2.8 amp LED module to arrive).

Other parts are on order, but my list is coming together...

0-150m dominance night/day.

Edited by Unobtanium

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds promising.

When building your own light, are there any 3 cell options? It would give you longer runtime and assist with pushing the bezel further forward. I'd love to have the head of my M3LT Combat Light on a weapon. When I was at SHOT, Surefire is considering rerating it to 600 lumens.

Sounds promising.

When building your own light, are there any 3 cell options? It would give you longer runtime and assist with pushing the bezel further forward. I'd love to have the head of my M3LT Combat Light on a weapon. When I was at SHOT, Surefire is considering rerating it to 600 lumens.

Yes, but XM-L drivers right now for the LED module I am using only goes to 6V max before it fries the module from what I understand. There is so much technical mumbo jumbo that I tell my guy what I want and/or read what others got that does what I want, and just ask for him to make it and trust that he gets it right. He never hasn't.

Edited by Unobtanium

My 550+ OTF lumen LED module arrived and I fitted it to my 6P. Absurd is the only way to describe it. The hot-spot is massive but bright, and the corona has some real "punch" to it. Side/ambient spill is a result of the sick output. The tint is as spec'ed--warm/neutral and cream-colored like the center of an HID high-beam on a car, but without the "blue" tinge.

Anyway, very awesome, and as much as I like Malkoff's modules, this thing slaughters the M60 by several magnitudes. If I had a Malkoff still in my inventory, I would compare. If you have one of his M61W's like I gave my Dad, just imagine that x 250% or so in every way.

Sounds like an awesome output. How much did it cost you to assemble?

The host cost around $140. It is a Surefire 6P finished in IIIa anodizing (OEM is IIa) with a black stainless smooth bezel ring and a McClicky switch to handle the additional amperage. The LED module ran me $55 shipped as I spec'ed it.

How does it feel? Are you broom handle holding it, or putting your pinkie, ring and middle finger on the FVG, and running your pointer and thumb forward along the side of the rail?

Have you considered flipping the light mount so the lever is on top? I'd worry about it jamming my hand during recoil.

How does it feel? Are you broom handle holding it, or putting your pinkie, ring and middle finger on the FVG, and running your pointer and thumb forward along the side of the rail?

Have you considered flipping the light mount so the lever is on top? I'd worry about it jamming my hand during recoil.

I don't have it mounted yet, so I can't say really how best I will hold it.

The lever does not have enough room to articulate if flipped. It's a non-issue, though, regardless of how it's held.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a note in my mail-box that $300+ some-odd worth of parts have arrived from CarrierComp.

Included is a 1-off I requested Kip assist me with. Nothing earth-shattering, but then, this shotgun is not meant to be a bunch of name-brand parts thrown together, but rather a cohesive system based on the best possible parts that enhance function as a whole while minimizing weight increase as much as possible. Where necessary, 1-offs were created (the LED module for the 550+ lumen/4000K tint light is an example of a semi-custom part).

Nothing is going into this build on the merit of its name alone or based on "cool-factor" by itself, but rather based either on overwhelming reviews from experienced shooters or from my own past experience with my 3 other M4S90's.

So far the calculated weight of this project is: 8.67# unloaded, or roughly only 14oz heavier than the OEM M4S90.

For the cost of those 14oz, I got: a 550+ lumen light, rail interface, 9 round (total) magazine capacity, VFG, and an optic w/QD mount.

Edited by Unobtanium

Looking forward to seeing what you're having Kip assist you with.

The weight gain you've added is quite minimal considering the added functionality.

Kip only assisted in applying Cerakote to the part I supplied. It's a bolt-release.

Why not GG&G?

-Because during operation the GG&G button does/can contact the receiver. This means to me that it is not allowing the maximum amount of movement possible.

-Because the GG&G can rotate if hit hard enough. The whole button is press-fit into the stamped metal. The GG&G button with it's anti-rotation fitting would act as a lever and axially rotate the cylindrical column that is the bolt-release button within its place in the sheet-metal making up the actual bolt-release.

-Because the GG&G is very large and interferes with how I personally operate the charging handle, with an inverted hand and my pinkie.

My setup is smaller, but still roughly a 200% increase in diameter over OEM. If it rotates axially, function and appearance will not change, further, axial rotation is much harder to achieve with a round button.

The Cerakote is an added bonus on top of my button being made of stainless. That 4140 GG&G button always scared me. I can rust glass, and those little ridges look prime.

This is my reasoning behind using the bolt-release setup I have used.

here is a cut-away of a GG&G modified OEM bolt-release button so that you can appreciate what I am describing above regarding axial rotation (Test-to-destruction FTW!):

9th1s7.jpg

You can clearly see how this column/button would axially rotate, even though it would be in no danger of coming apart from the actual bolt-release. Imagine that big GG&G button rotated 90* though and it kindof sucks...

Edited by Unobtanium

I guess some of you might be wondering "Why buy all this stuff and not even own an M4S90 yet?"

Well, I know Kip's stuff is perfect, but it's in high demand and he's only one person. NOTHING frustrates me more than having a 5+1+1 M4 sitting around with a 14"+ LOP and a bastardized 1913 rail on top waiting for parts to come in to fix all that.

So when I buy my M4S90, a good bit of surgery will happen ASAP and it will be G2G. It's better for my sanity that way.

You a lefty?

Where'd you get that black carriercomp bolt handle? Did you have it Cerakoted too?

Are you doing that 1911 style magazine release mod for the bolt release?

I love that top rail. Even if you don't mount anything on the top of the receiver, that abortion Benelli calls a rail should be replaced.

You a lefty?

Where'd you get that black carriercomp bolt handle? Did you have it Cerakoted too?

Are you doing that 1911 style magazine release mod for the bolt release?

I love that top rail. Even if you don't mount anything on the top of the receiver, that abortion Benelli calls a rail should be replaced.

I am a righty, the deal with a shotgun is that the hand on the front stocks pushes forward, the forearm acting as a shock-absorber. The hand on the PG pulls toward the body, it's called the "push-pull" technique. Works very well.

On an AR type rifle, my light would be on the other side and I would hold it with all digits on the front of the VFG pulling toward my shoulder. On the shotgun, I chicken-choke hold and push/brace with the web/palm of the hand facing away from me on the VFG.

Hope that made sense.

-The bolt handle is deceptive in that photo, it is pencil-lead gray.

-Yes, 1911 style.