Benelli M4 - need advice on light and mount options

Islander

Hello everyone,

Long time no speak :). 

I finally got my M4 and want to ask for some feedback/questions on the following:

1 - I want to purchase SureFire: X400 Ultra, any feedback on it for M4?

2 - What is everyone’s opinion on light mount for it? Should I go with IWC (Scout Light mount or 1913 picatinni mount?

Any other options for light mounts?

Thanks and stay safe

I purchased a IWC scout light mount, and should get it in this week hopefully.  I mainly purchased it for the QD mount feature, first and foremost. From what I read, if you go the route of 1913 IWC mount, you can always take off the rail and have a regular scout mount, so it just gives you more options.  I guess it all comes down to what you're trying to mount to it. I would imagine that if you utilized the scout mount solution, that the light would potentially be mounted closer to the gun's surface, which is usually more desirable.

• Upvote 1

You’ll need this version of the IWC mount. The only difference is that it has a picatinny rail section that attached to the mount. Then you would attach the x400 to the picatinny rail section. The light/laser will be canted slightly, so your x and y adjustments for the laser are going to be off. You’ll have to adjust both of them in order to dial in a zero. This isn’t too hard, I use two wrenches at one time and adjust them both at the same time. 

Now I would likely consider a tape switch for activation this light. Those toggle switches on the back of the x400 are going to hurt under recoil. I’d mount the light on the ejection port side if I was a right handed shooter, then route the tape switch button over to the opposite side. I’d grind a spot for the tape switch pad to sit in. 

Id also modify the x400 to make the toggle switch much harder to move. That way the system doesn’t get knocked to Off/Light Only/Both/Laser Only/Off. I’d trim the switch to make it hard to move from the Both setting I assume you want.   

• Upvote 1

https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/22840-surefire-m300-vs-m600df-light-for-m4/

https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/22905-laser-sight-for-benelli-m4/

Gents -

Some recent links here for some background.

The Scouts will mount directly to the IWC light mount without using the pic rail if that's the way you want to go.  Or, you can order the pic rail from IWC and go that way for a more easier removal -- not exactly a QD release lever, but faster.  The pic rail option also allows you to mount the light a little higher or lower (1/4"?) depending on how you mount the pic rail to the IWC light mount.  The mounting holes for the pic rail are not drilled dead center so you can mount it upside down to change the position slightly.  If looking for a laser/light combo, I wouldn't rule out Streamlight (TLR-2 HL R or G (laser)) as they are pretty capable and appear to be cheaper than Surefire.  You'll have to use the pic rail on the IWC mount to make these work Laser/Light combos work.

Think about light/laser activation options as the toggle switch on the L/L combos can be hard to keep your thumb on while firing.  At least that's my experience with the TLR-2 on my Springfield 4 mm pistol.

https://arisakadefense.com/

Here is a site for checking out mounting and switch options...just one of many.  The links above contain other site links that will keep you searching and shopping.  BAd news is much is out of stock right now.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

You’ll need this version of the IWC mount. The only difference is that it has a picatinny rail section that attached to the mount. Then you would attach the x400 to the picatinny rail section. The light/laser will be canted slightly, so your x and y adjustments for the laser are going to be off. You’ll have to adjust both of them in order to dial in a zero. This isn’t too hard, I use two wrenches at one time and adjust them both at the same time. 

Now I would likely consider a tape switch for activation this light. Those toggle switches on the back of the x400 are going to hurt under recoil. I’d mount the light on the ejection port side if I was a right handed shooter, then route the tape switch button over to the opposite side. I’d grind a spot for the tape switch pad to sit in. 

Id also modify the x400 to make the toggle switch much harder to move. That way the system doesn’t get knocked to Off/Light Only/Both/Laser Only/Off. I’d trim the switch to make it hard to move from the Both setting I assume you want.   

Thanks again!

I might just run it without tape switch. 

Sorry to hijack your thread but wanted to see if anyone knows if the IWC scout mount will allow a Surefire M600 Intellibeam to fit?  I know the bezel on the intellibeam is slightly larger than a standard M600 so I want to ensure it doesn't affect the barrel or magazine tube.

56 minutes ago, socalduck said:

Sorry to hijack your thread but wanted to see if anyone knows if the IWC scout mount will allow a Surefire M600 Intellibeam to fit?  I know the bezel on the intellibeam is slightly larger than a standard M600 so I want to ensure it doesn't affect the barrel or magazine tube.

It will only fit if you machine off the knurling of the lamp housing. 

O1NjcC6.jpg