Has anyone installed magazine cap retaining pin?

Anjin-san

• 1 year later...

I've got a benelli m4 clone and the mag cap retaining pin and spring fell out today when I was disassembling / cleaning my gun. This has never happened before. 

I also noticed there is no "entry" hole on the back... so Sulan Arms must've just shoved this in somehow. (It's an sds tac-12.... shoots very well).

I've got pictures  but can't figure out how to post/ share...

• 2 months later...
On 20.02.2022 at 03:26, SolidBuilt said:

У меня есть клон Benelli M4, и стопорный штифт и пружина крышки магазина выпали сегодня, когда я разбирал / чистил свое ружье. Такого еще никогда не было. 

Я также заметил, что сзади нет «входного» отверстия… так что Сулан Армс, должно быть, просто как-то вставил это внутрь. (Это sds tac-12.... очень хорошо стреляет).

У меня есть фотографии, но я не могу понять, как разместить/поделиться...

I also have Sulun TAC12, and I had the same problem, there is no pin fixation either.
I decided as follows: 1. clicked on the pin with a toothpick (orange line) so that it hides in the hole. 2. I tied the toothpick with electrical tape (blue line) to fix it to the barrel so that the pin remained hidden inside.
3. From the side indicated by the arrow, lightly hit with a core to deform the entrance to the hole where the pin is located.
4. Removed the electrical tape and toothpick. fixed
I decided as follows: 1. Press on the pin with a toothpick (orange line) so that it hides in the hole. 2. I tied the toothpick with electrical tape (blue line) to fix it to the barrel so that the pin remained hidden inside.
3. From the side indicated by the arrow, lightly hit with a kern to deform the entrance to the hole where the pin is located.
4. Removed the electrical tape and toothpick. Fixed!

2.png

Безымянный.png

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:57 PM, Arik said:

I also have Sulun TAC12, and I had the same problem, there is no pin fixation either.
I decided as follows: 1. clicked on the pin with a toothpick (orange line) so that it hides in the hole. 2. I tied the toothpick with electrical tape (blue line) to fix it to the barrel so that the pin remained hidden inside.
3. From the side indicated by the arrow, lightly hit with a core to deform the entrance to the hole where the pin is located.
4. Removed the electrical tape and toothpick. fixed
I decided as follows: 1. Press on the pin with a toothpick (orange line) so that it hides in the hole. 2. I tied the toothpick with electrical tape (blue line) to fix it to the barrel so that the pin remained hidden inside.
3. From the side indicated by the arrow, lightly hit with a kern to deform the entrance to the hole where the pin is located.
4. Removed the electrical tape and toothpick. Fixed!

I mean " 1. PRESS the pin with a toothpick (orange line) so that it hides in the hole. "

• 3 months later...

Nuts. This just happened to me. Brand new M1014. Haven't even had a chance to fire it yet, just getting ready to clean it, and PNs 073J Cap Retaining Spring and 074J Cap Retaining Pin just fell out on the floor. WTH???

Had this happend at the range, good luck finding those tiny parts. I could barely find them on the floor of my office.

I know this gun has a great reputation, battle tested, etc, etc, but with its jenky two-piece plastic forend and parts just falling out of it, I'm not real impressed. Well, I guess I get to meet Benelli Customer Service now. First a dealer tried to sell me a used and abused supposedly brand new M4 and now this. I'm bummed. 🙁

Heard back from Benelli Customer Service and they issued a RA # and covered the cost of shipping so that was nice. Like the OP's case, the metal looks so clean, I'm thinking someone got distracted and just forgot to run my barrel through the detent staking machine entirely. Who knows. I've never seen their production line.

They initially wanted the whole gun returned, but I called them back and they agreed that returning just the barrel was fine. Frankly, the less parts to get banged around, dropped or go missing in transit, the better. The repair will take 3 weeks because they are behind, short staffed, still recovering from COVID, etc, etc. Oh well. I've been through worse things in life. At least they are trying to make good.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:26 PM, SolidBuilt said:

I've got a benelli m4 clone and the mag cap retaining pin and spring fell out today when I was disassembling / cleaning my gun. This has never happened before. 

I also noticed there is no "entry" hole on the back... so Sulan Arms must've just shoved this in somehow. (It's an sds tac-12.... shoots very well).

I've got pictures  but can't figure out how to post/ share...

An option would be a wave spring washer.  I have quite a few of them actually from a prior product I did.   PM me if you want one, just pay shipping and it’s yours.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of RxArms ... Good job on that Benelli M4 Bolt Release Tab! Nice, simple clean lines. I just got it and it worked like a charm in my office. I was looking forward to trying it out at the range, but that will have to wait now that I won't have a barrel for 3 weeks or so.

Edited by ThisShouldDoTheJob
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I can confirm the 870 DETENT STAKING PUNCH works. Here are the parts that were needed.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/shotgun-tools/870-detent-staking-punch/

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/product-display.html?Product_Code=70096

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/product-display.html?Product_Code=70097

Once I had everything, I removed the barrel and held it vertical with the end pressed up on a wood floor. A padded vice would be more logical but didn't have one. I then held the 870 punch and pressed the detent and spring down. I gave 2 light smacks with a metal hammer and it was enough to keep the detent down so I stopped there. Probably should go a little harder since the factory looks like they moved way more metal than I did, but its holding up so far and works as intended. This was a cheap solution to fix it yourself instead of having to ship out the barrel/gun for an RMA.

Big thanks to the guy who thought of the 870 tool!

IMG_4179.thumb.jpg.4e09a1ca77bff9a36c863f0846ed3bc3.jpg