Has anyone installed magazine cap retaining pin?

Anjin-san

Wish I knew myself. I looked at the assembly and it appears the spring and detent enter from the front of the barrel hanger. It's hard to see what actually retains the detent though. It looks like the area is swaged with some kind of punch or crimp to prevent the detent from coming out. This seems really difficult to do yourself without whatever specialized fixture they have for doing the job.

1439760.jpg

The only way it appears it can work is the barrel is deformed around the edge which stops the detent at the shoulder shown above.

Thanks for your reply -- Since the parts are readily available from a couple of sources I thought it might be a somewhat common problem, not something that's a factory fix.  I'm still waiting to hear from Benelli.

Something doesn't smell right about a plastic part like this being so difficult to install or replace.  But there is basically no information on the internet about how to install it so I guess if properly installed at the factory, they last forever? 

One disadvantage to selling the gun disassembled is they will never catch a problem like this before shipping it.

On 9/17/2020 at 11:21 AM, bambihunter said:

If it is NIB, can you send it back and get a replacement?

That's the plan now. Requested a return authorization number from Benelli.  I don't know how fast they handle repairs like this under normal conditions - much less COVID conditions. 

My experience with sending guns to other manufacturers for repair:

Colt - Terrible, kept gun for 4 months and didn't actually fix it. 

Uberti - Good, repaired gun in a month or so.

Springfield Armory - Great, repaired in weeks.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:02 AM, StrangerDanger said:

Wish I knew myself. I looked at the assembly and it appears the spring and detent enter from the front of the barrel hanger. It's hard to see what actually retains the detent though. It looks like the area is swaged with some kind of punch or crimp to prevent the detent from coming out. This seems really difficult to do yourself without whatever specialized fixture they have for doing the job.

1439760.jpg

The only way it appears it can work is the barrel is deformed around the edge which stops the detent at the shoulder shown above.

I bet the 870 detent staking tool would do the job. I think I have one around the shop....somewhere https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/staking-tools/870-detent-staking-punch-prod25277.aspx

An automatic center punch would work in a pinch. A third hand to hold the detest and spring in place while upsetting the metal would help.

11 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

I bet the 870 detent staking tool would do the job. I think I have one around the shop....somewhere https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/staking-tools/870-detent-staking-punch-prod25277.aspx

An automatic center punch would work in a pinch. A third hand to hold the detest and spring in place while upsetting the metal would help.

Awesome. Order placed. In theory I can see how it works, in practice will probably have a learning curve. 

Sitting the barrel in a vice so that the barrel hanger At the front is resting on top of the jaws preventing the barrel from shifting downward seems to be the best holding position. 

• Like 1

Interesting - I see what they did.  My gun must have skipped this step completely because there is zero indentation or tooling marks around the hole.  Its not a case of the hole being stamped wrong and then the part fell out - no attempt was made to close the hole around the detent (if detent and spring were ever installed).

IMG_1326.jpg

I haven't installed one nor had sufficient intellectual curiosity just to knock it out for the heck of it BUT if  I did this would be my plan. Call factory for replacement support collar;  then whack away.

But I believe you would have to have the proper support collar for the plunger which I envision as a small externally splined cylinder that allows the spring powered plunger head to traverse thru it.

I believe the plunger spring assembly is removed by inserting a 1.5 mm punch thru the access port on the back side of the assembly which would fit thru the spring to greet the back side of the plunger. Installation would be the reverse, probably use a roll pin starter punch ? or a proper sized pin punch to compress the head of the plunger while tapping in what appears to be a support collar that is press fit into the cylindrical recess.

CIMG3283a copy.jpg

CIMG3303A copy.jpg

CIMG3305A copy.jpg

CIMG3311a copy.jpg

CIMG3314 copy.JPG

CIMG3320 copy.JPG

CIMG3323 copy.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.14.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.14.50 PM.png

Edited by benelliwerkes
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Fantastic analysis - A masters class on the mag cap retainer assembly.  I can clearly see the assembly sleeve has to be a different factory-only part.  That could not be formed only by deforming the metal around the hole.

I am sending it back to Benelli (the customer support I talked to was outstanding).  It will be interesting to see if they attempt to put in the spring and detent or just swap the whole barrel assembly.

One thing still bothering me is why sell the detent and spring replacement parts and not the sleeve?  Nobody is going to be able to swap a worn or broken detent or spring without a new sleeve unless they can fabricate one or remove and replace the sleeve without damaging it...