M4 recoil tube ring

StreetSweeper56

In lieu of the flexible ring for the recoil tube is there a reason why you could not use an, easier to remove, snap ring? I have also seen flex rings shaped like a "G" that would be far easier to work with. MGW is out of the flex rings and it looks like a bear to get out anyway. Does anyone know the dimensions of the OEM ring? Thanks! 

Here's the dimensions for the original flexible retaining ring:

image.png

I did briefly investigate a sourcing for aftermarket replacement but it appears it doesn't conform to any ANSI or DIN specifications. So chances of finding this off the shelf is slim.

I did also look at either making my own out of spring steel with an angled cut (purple ring) to aid in removal or take an original ring to the grinder. Basically stick a pick tool in the corner and pry it off like shaft snap ring.

image.png.71299ef0451490dd7993b19720c28431.pngimage.png.393108c02e933e261f333a238ccbcbe9.pngimage.png.3ae4e12cc9209f0f7f7fbff5235034eb.png 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Awesome, thanks Doge! I'm amazed it doesn't conform to standard, why would they do that? I might try asking Fastenal if they have anything. I'm hoping I can get mine off without damage... but I'd still like to have a backup jic, so I'll wait till MGW has them in stock, I REALLY don't want to pay $25 for one. Would sure be nice if Regal included them in their recoil tubes.

47 minutes ago, Doge said:

Here's the dimensions for the original flexible retaining ring:

image.png

I did briefly investigate a sourcing for aftermarket replacement but it appears it doesn't conform to any ANSI or DIN specifications. So chances of finding this off the shelf is slim.

I did also look at either making my own out of spring steel with an angled cut (purple ring) to aid in removal or take an original ring to the grinder. Basically stick a pick tool in the corner and pry it off like shaft snap ring.

image.png.71299ef0451490dd7993b19720c28431.pngimage.png.393108c02e933e261f333a238ccbcbe9.pngimage.png.3ae4e12cc9209f0f7f7fbff5235034eb.png 

1 hour ago, Ben elLes said:

Not promoting…but sounds like the same price your waiting on, and it’s in stock if your source is out it’s an option.  $22

https://freedomfightertactical.com/products/benelli-oem-flexible-ring-70071?_pos=1&_sid=59ef71359&_ss=r

Thanks, I am aware they have those in stock for $22, MGW is $5. Not that I can't afford it, I just think their price is excessive.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I KNEW IT! LOL! Fastenal has everything! I'll see if they have a "G" fastener that fits, if so I'll let everyone know the part number or if someone beats me to it let us all know!

I am super shocked Fastenal had it. They have a terrible reputation in my area. I am more of a mcmaster-carr person?

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Just FYI, I am getting many of these springs custom made for my up and coming 6 position recoil tube, in T302 stainless spring wire, the idea that it sells for $22 on some retailer websites is almost criminal, I know how much these are to make... 

It isn't quite worth the hassle for me to sell them individually to those that want it, but I might sell packs of 4 or 5 for $10-$15 in the future for spare parts if there's demand for it.  Fastenal and Mcmaster does not have the size that is needed.  The ring is actually around 17.8mm OD free, and 15.5mm ID free.  The gap is about 8.5mm or so.  when compressed, the ID reaches 15mm inside the tube, to retain the plunger.

-Robb

• Upvote 3