First time shooting Slugs, impact is all over the place (New M4)

bh27

Breaking in the new M4, shooting slugs at 15 yards to check red dot and it's all over the place.  Laying prone with a bag under the barrel.  I shoot a lot of handguns/rifles so I'm fairly certain it's not me.  If it was all low/left I could see the argument but it's spraying all around and I was in a very stable platform.  

I'm shooting this cheap Sterling ammo, I really hope it's just the ammo.  Bought cheap stuff just to break in the gun. 

https://cltammo.com/product/12-gauge-2-3-4-1oz-slug-10-round-box/

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

IMG_3972.jpg

• Upvote 1

Did you change the OEM Modified choke to Improved Cylinder or Cylinder choke? Benelli says Modified choke shouldn't be used for slugs, even though many people think it's ok. Perhaps the specific slugs used are super sensitive to the choke. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CAUS said:

Did you change the OEM Modified choke to Improved Cylinder or Cylinder choke? Benelli says Modified choke shouldn't be used for slugs, even though many people think it's ok. Perhaps the specific slugs used are super sensitive to the choke. 

My model didn't come with a choke option. 

14 minutes ago, Anon4755 said:

Cheap ammo affects accuracy. 

I'm hoping it's just this.  I bought some https://fiocchiusa.com/shotshell/defense-dynamics/12ex00bk.html (lower FPS) for cheap as well... mostly for break in but the gun barely cycled this at first, I can almost get through all 8 shells now after only a couple of boxes.  Is there a recommended value shell for both 00buck and slug that people like? 

4 minutes ago, bh27 said:

My model didn't come with a choke option. 

M1014 comes with fixed Modified choke. Per Benelli's official statement, it shouldn't be used for slugs..... even though many people do shoot slugs with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CAUS said:

M1014 comes with fixed Modified choke. Per Benelli's official statement, it shouldn't be used for slugs..... even though many people do shoot slugs with it. 

Ah, thanks for educating me.  It won't mess the barrel up to run them through it will it? 

46 minutes ago, bh27 said:

Ah, thanks for educating me.  It won't mess the barrel up to run them through it will it? 

Not sure, but Benelli officially says no slugs for Modified choke. So far, I haven't heard problems from others. Personally, I switch to Cylinder choke when I shoot slugs, just for the peace of mind.

The use of foster style or brenneke rifles slugs will not harm the m1014 barrel. I personally prefer federal LR hydrashok slugs. Accuracy looks like what OP got but at 75 yards or more, and barrel leading is minimal while 1300fps with 1oz is a pretty sweet spot recoil/cycling reliability wise. Terminally, they are tested by Vista to do great, and the gel test and barrier data is found online. Compared to trueball, accuracy in my m4 sbs is identical, but with less leading from the HS.

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/slug/details.aspx?id=706

Green box sterling slugs are nice.  Come in the same green box as the buckshot, but are slugs.  They’re more cents per round than them tornado ones.  I avoided those since they are unnecessarily long shells so I don’t know how they perform.  Perhaps they are of a slightly larger spec that is interfering with the choke?  My slugs fly straight.  I was under the impression that the m1014 was fixed cylinder choke.  I suppose a set of calipers can settle the debate.

Perhaps I’ll pick some up from work tomorrow and find out as I have both M4s.  Unless I am mistaken I would just measure the opening and it will either be modified diameter or larger right?  Now that I Google some stuff I see everyone saying modified, but I feel like previous research said otherwise.

8 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

What kind of red dot? Mount? Any other aftermarket modifications?

Holosun HE509T on a Scalarworks Trijicon SYNC/RMR. 

Other modification are 922r compliant stuff, 7 round tube, follower, 3 parts of the trigger group. 

Also, Regal Metal Works 6 position recoil tube, impact weapons light mount with streamlight light.

I'll shoot it again tomorrow or this weekend, right now I'm going to say it's a combo of the ammo and me.  You think it's alright to send the rest of that case of slugs through the barrel (~100 left)? Getting mixed comments.  I'll stick to just 00 buck going forward.  

Edited by bh27

The M1014 has always been a fixed MOD diameter choked barrel. Regular Foster or Brenneke style slugs are fine. I am not familiar personally with these "Tornado" slugs and won't speak to it, but have read very lackluster accuracy reports about them on various forums.

• Like 1

just got off the phone with benelli, they don't recommend it.  Going to sell the rest.  Pretty sure I didn't screw up my barrel with just 20 rounds (hopefully).  Didn't buy it for slugs anyways. 

Edited by bh27
  • Upvote 1

This is the result of 10 rounds of Hydrashok (LE127RS) fired unsupported from the standing at a normal pace without trying too hard. The target is 12" wide. The firearm was a 14" CYL bore M4 Entry model with FFT rail, ADM Ti mount, and Aimpoint 4moa H2. The distance is 65y.

20220304_081932.thumb.jpg.92f619883fc7e1e455234bc1d998d126.jpg

• Upvote 3

I must have missed the memo.

I have been shooting slugs out of my M4s since 2008.  Never had an accuracy problem.

And no, mine won't cycle the Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 1250fps 00 buck either (although it groups excellently for a value load).