Older vs Newer M4

RxArms

Just got another M4, this one is brand new unfired.  It is amazing how the detent in the bolt, is a lot looser than my older M4 that is probably well over 15 years old.  my older one is an aluminum trigger group, new one is polymer.  The new OEM bolt handle is sloppy, due to the lack of spring force in the detent, old M4 the OEM handle is very solid in place with more force from the spring. 

Is this normal for newer M4s?  Just thought it was an interesting development.  I wanted an older one and newer one for R&D.  I will take a look at it in more detail later, I'll try and loosen up the detent with some oil and see if that helps.  An interesting observation regarding perhaps the lack of quality control present in new production models.

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rubicon20032003 said:

Hope you didn’t grab a new entry.Somr are coming thru with a longer cut down barrel.That extends past cap and looks like shit 

I did indeed. Already planning on shipping it off if it is. Starting to regret this whole fiasco. 

41 minutes ago, Jonnylaw said:

I waited a long time for my LE model 11715 and haven’t taken a close look at it yet. Ugggh 

I have a 11715 and the polymer trigger guard is fine, it's plenty tough. I put an A&S on mine, not because the OEM was poly but for the recessed loading ramp. I am certain you're gonna love the gun, give it a shot (or 100).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I have a 11715 and the polymer trigger guard is fine, it's plenty tough. I put an A&S on mine, not because the OEM was poly but for the recessed loading ramp. I am certain you're gonna love the gun, give it a shot (or 100).

Polymer trigger guard is actually more impact resistant than the aluminum.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KiloEcho6 said:

I did indeed. Already planning on shipping it off if it is. Starting to regret this whole fiasco. 

Not all of them will have issues, definitely don’t give up on it before you even have it. 

I will say this, holding a brand spanking new M4 in your hand is an experience like no other.  A used older one is great obviously, but a new one is a beautiful thing.

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 3

Starting in 2008, I've owned about 10 Benelli m4s, purchased throughout the years.

Some had greenish phosphate

Some had very rough bores in the piston housing

Some had crooked FSP (One, Benelli replaced on their dime).

Some had anodizing that was chipping off on the inside of the receiver. 

Some had visible machine marks in the upper.

The only "new" thing to me post covid are crooked recoil tubes. These need watching out for. Otherwise? All of these complaints fall within "variances Ive experienced."

• Upvote 1

I have over 1000rds through my 2021 M1014, never had a failure, no QC issues, the chrome in the bore & gas ports looks new. The finish is perfect. Never had a problem with the poly trigger housing but I did swap it out pretty early on for an aluminum one. Positive locking of CH, straight sights, it’s been amazing. Im not saying there isn’t QC issues with new Benellis , just saying some of them are GTG.

2D678973-CC43-498A-9364-572C0B1B6F5C.thumb.jpeg.a943b0a5e6ed9c254fc9e5cd05dcd57e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...