M4 Bolt handle rotating/coming out

alphat

I purchased Daves Metal Works "Tactical Bolt Handle" for Benelli M4. After installation, I notice that the handle can rotate. Depending on how I manipulate it (support hand, under the gun), it can rotate more, to the point of coming out and falling from the bolt carrier during dry fire.

The same is happening with OEM handle. 

Is there a solution to that? Are there any aftermarket bolt handles that do not rotate?

Edited by alphat

• alphat changed the title to M4 Bolt handle rotating/coming out

This might have more to do with your bolt detent and spring specs than the charge handle.

some newer M4 for whatever reason the detent is not traveling as far into the charge handle hole, which can cause issues.

your detent and spring might need servicing, you can also try sticking a spacer with the detent spring which will increase the pressure of the detent.

what model is your gun?

14 hours ago, alphat said:

Is there a solution to that? Are there any aftermarket bolt handles that do not rotate?

They all rotate but some have more pronounced and more angular detents than others. Others have more shallow more universal detents that appear to run uniformly all around the end of bolt handle. If you study the different options out there, you will see what I mean. So far I've had good luck with this one ... https://botach.com/kz-benelli-m4-oversized-charging-handles/

That said, it is more worrying that the OEM one is falling out. Not cool at all and I'm sorry to hear that. All good now, I had my own woes with OEM Benelli parts on my gun. Manufacturing standards and tolerances are in a sad state of affairs these days.

Based on the diagram below for removing the bolt handle by first rotating it to the right, you could try rotating it to the left after inserting it. But it should it naturally rotate to the left when you pull it back.  @RxArms - who knows a lot more about Benelli products than me - probably has the right answer above in that the manufacturing standards/tolerances are off. You are probably doing everything right. 

If this continues, I would contact Benelli for a repair because there are few things more seriously wrong than a bolt handle falling out of a gun! No bolt handle, no bang. In fairness to Benelli, they took care of me by covering the shipping costs when I had to return my barrel to have the magazine cap retaining spring and pin re-staked after they just fell out of it and onto the floor before I even fired the gun.

I hope this helps. Best wishes for a successful resolution.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.37.36 AM.png

Edited by ThisShouldDoTheJob

16 hours ago, alphat said:

Mine is Benelli M4 Tactical - 11715. 

Is there a proper way to insert a charging handle? Generally, I push/rotate it until it's in and give it a pull to make sure it's seated.

Since OEM is very loose and sloppy I agree you should contact Benelli for a new complete bolt carrier.

• Upvote 2

Either the bolt handle wasn’t machined correctly or the detent is damaged. 

Benelli would be the first stop to see if you can get them to warranty it. Getting the detent out of the bolt carrier is not an easy task. It takes specialized punches and finger dexterity that approaches the insane. Even roll pin holders are of no use since the pin is so short. The punch is so small that they’re easy to break. Getting that tiny pin out without damaging anything is one of my least favorite Benelli M4 jobs. Getting it back in without damaging the spring it retains is even worse. 

Mine has been back to Benelli twice now, and with a new BCG the charging handle is still not tight, and is free to rotate about 30 degrees. Better than before, but still not snug as probably intended. 

Prior to sending in, I had replaced the charging handle, detent, spring and detent with the same results. 

I think that the recess in bolt body has been drilled too shallow...and is preventing the detent from extending far enough out to engage the charging handle with full-time spring pressure. 

Edit: Aside from that pesky charging handle, I love this gun.

*Shout out to StrangerDanger for positing up so much useful info. His post on replacing the receiver extension gave me the confidence to take it on. Thank you!

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

Edited by Nomaspescado
Adding something positive
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I did some more testing, and the issue may not be as bad as I initially thought. The charging handles - both OEM and aftermarket need some force to rotate. The problem usually happens when I rack the bolt under the gun. If I am not paying attention, my finger can impart some rotational force while moving my hand away at the end. This is what caused the handles to come out. 

When inserted, the handle doesn't come out if pulled in a straight direction, away from the bolt. I will be going to a three-day shotgun class. Will see how it does there.

Egads!  As a new customer who just received my M4 LE, this is not inspiring confidence in Benelli.  The USMC's use of this rifle was a key reason I purchased my 11732.  I found that instructions for assembly were not up to date for the 11732 (had to figure some things out that were not covered in the manual) and my charging handle was awful to remove.  Gorilla strength pulling finally got it out, then I put some gun oil on it and worked it a few times before it would release relatively easily.

Taking it to a more experienced gunsmith before firing to ensure I covered assembly correctly.  I'm new to shotguns and wasn't expecting to have to assemble a $2000 shotgun.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:59 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Getting the detent out of the bolt carrier is not an easy task. It takes specialized punches and finger dexterity that approaches the insane. Even roll pin holders are of no use since the pin is so short. The punch is so small that they’re easy to break. Getting that tiny pin out without damaging anything is one of my least favorite Benelli M4 jobs. Getting it back in without damaging the spring it retains is even worse. 

Removing the M4 Bolt Handle Detent Spring Retaining Pin.

The key to making the task simple is to de-tension the spring from acting on the pin, very much like for the bolt extractor roll pin removal. The second item is to have a tool to compress the spring away from the pin.

I fabricated a fork tool from 1/8” hex wrench, after observing my M4 trigger safety spring tool would fit in the hole and compress the detent spring; the problem was that tool was too long to fit in vise for compression of the spring.  The hex wrench was slotted with a Dremel to 0.067”,  shortened to fit a polymer tool handle. The tool can then be fitted in the vise to compress the spring freeing up your hands to remove the pin.

The pin is removed inside-outward, once de-tensioned a simple small tool such as jewels screwdriver or 1/16” hex wrench can be lightly tapped with a light hammer to begin moving the pin which doesn’t take much force. A right angle pick  with slight pressure will complete the pin removal and the pick captures the spring so it doesn’t fly about. Cover the spring hole, remove the pick and extract the detent and its spring.

Installation is the reverse. Compress the spring, insert right angle pick, use small pin holding punch to tap the pin in, displacing the pick. Make sure the inside of the pin does not impinge on

bolt raceway.

Generally, no need for breaking punches or flying springs.

IMG_4493 copy.jpg

IMG_4498 copy.jpg

IMG_4500 copy.jpg

IMG_4501 copy.jpg

IMG_4506a copy 2.jpg

IMG_4507 copy.jpg

IMG_4508 copy.jpg

IMG_4509 copy.jpg

IMG_4514 copy.jpg

IMG_4516 copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Benelliwerks has the best tools. I imagine all the tools are in special boxes with labels like the Toy Story 2 guy that rebuilds Woody!

Your vice is pretty similar too, I have the Wilton 1745 Trademan. I paid $495 for it back in 2018. I just priced one now since things have been built back better, and apparently my vice should be in the safe since it now goes for $1,014.00. 🤨

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to installing  a Wilton 500S 5" vise  and installed smooth jaws, it weighs 98 lbs, got it earlier this year. The only one Wilton makes still made in USA. I wanted the 6" but it weighed 150 lbs! The small roll pin holders are made on the lathe which is handy to create short pin depths and small diameters which are easier to control in the hand. I made this 5/32" last week.

IMG_4433GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4434GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4435GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4436GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4437GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4438GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4439GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4440GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4441GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

IMG_4442GUNSMITH STARTER ROLL PIN PUNCH 5-32" DRILL ROD FABRICATION MJD 09.24.22.jpg

Edited by benelliwerkes
  • Upvote 1

This set of parallel punches is unique in that the shaft slides along the length of the punch, so only a minimal amount of small diameter punch is unsupported that limits the likelihood of bending or breaking punches like SD mentioned. The Brownells set is useful sometimes, but as in this retaining pin situation, the shaft diameter was too large to fit in the narrow confines of the bolt access.

For starting and finishing some pins where a tapered "starter" punch can not be used for whatever reason, I made a set of short shaft punches and hardened the tips which avoids bending and breakage.

IMG_7922 copy.jpg

589816736_IMG_7923copy.thumb.jpg.98daf888bbce5964fc2e39b1f95dd3ed.jpg

DSC00220 copy.JPG

DSC00222 copy.JPG

DSC00248 copy 2.JPG

Edited by benelliwerkes
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

In deference to SD I did label it and tuck in to to a labeled drawer.  That polymer tool shown above was a Flintstone appearing workhorse but I finally got around to making a more refined tool today worthy for the tool box.   Used a shortened #28 drill bit shank slotted with 1/16" square end mill to press fit into a 3/8" drill rod tool shaft cut to length, ends radiused for aesthetics on the slotted end and to be functional fitting into vise jaw hex fastener to stabilize the tool to prevent it sliding down the vise jaw face.

IMG_4576BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4582BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4583BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4584BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4586BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4587BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4588BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4589BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg

IMG_4591BENELLI M4 SUPER90 BOLT DETENT PIN TOOL FABRICATED MJD 10.01.22 copy.jpg