Oversized safety?

Suplize

I don't have the TTI, but I do use a ROTH Oversized safety.  I find it does make disengaging the safety much easier, especially with a pistol grip.

https://rothperformance.com/product/rci-xrail-oversized-safety-button-black/

I tend to keep away from Taran Tactical stuff based on my own experiences, but I know some people love them.  Hopefully they'll weigh in here..

• Upvote 1

I have the Roth on my match gun and honestly I'm not terribly crazy about it. Since I can push it off with the middle of my finger, rather than just the tip up my finger, I suppose it's probably fractions of moment quicker to do and get on the trigger, but it's not game changing. And since doing that is so different than all the other guns that don't have it, I think that difference gives me pause at times, and that eats up anything it saved.

• Upvote 1

The primary safety on any firearm is muzzle direction. Revolvers don't have safeties. IF you think you will be engaging the trigger, take the safety OFF , do not put your finger off the trigger (as it is no faster to pull the trigger with your finger on the trigger than outside the trigger guard, either action is one reaction time), and keep the muzzle in a safe direction until any need to engage an identified target.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, benelliwerkes said:

do not put your finger off the trigger (as it is no faster to pull the trigger with your finger on the trigger than outside the trigger guard, either action is one reaction time)

Maybe you could re-write whatever this is supposed to mean? 

• Upvote 1

okay........the commentary was mostly inspired by someone mentioning they were losing time getting the mechanical safety off with Brand X v. Y.

Lesson of the Day: do not put your finger ON the trigger in anticipation of engaging an identified target.

IF an individual truly believes an identified target may require servicing then it's important to understand the fundamental concept of human reaction times and safe muzzle direction.

The same reaction time is required to pull the trigger, when your finger is OFF the trigger outside the trigger guard AND muzzle pointed in a safe direction (read "not directly at the target) as the reaction time required to pull the trigger when your finger is already resting on the trigger with the muzzle pointed directly at a target. A safe muzzle direction, safety OFF prior to engaging a target, is infinitely more safe to all parties involved, than the alternative of finger on the trigger with safety off / on with muzzle pointed directly at a engagement target.......the principle is evident every time one observes several LEO's surrounding a perp on the ground with weapons drawn with sights on target.....this is the repeated error of unintended discharges is seen much too often.

1 hour ago, benelliwerkes said:

okay........the commentary was mostly inspired by someone mentioning they were losing time getting the mechanical safety off with Brand X v. Y.

Lesson of the Day: do not put your finger ON the trigger in anticipation of engaging an identified target.

IF an individual truly believes an identified target may require servicing then it's important to understand the fundamental concept of human reaction times and safe muzzle direction.

The same reaction time is required to pull the trigger, when your finger is OFF the trigger outside the trigger guard AND muzzle pointed in a safe direction (read "not directly at the target) as the reaction time required to pull the trigger when your finger is already resting on the trigger with the muzzle pointed directly at a target. A safe muzzle direction, safety OFF prior to engaging a target, is infinitely more safe to all parties involved, than the alternative of finger on the trigger with safety off / on with muzzle pointed directly at a engagement target.......the principle is evident every time one observes several LEO's surrounding a perp on the ground with weapons drawn with sights on target.....this is the repeated error of unintended discharges is seen much too often.

Thanks for the effort in your explanation but I don’t believe any of that addressed the original question at all. 

Edited by Suplize

The Dave's Metal Works oversized safety is the one I prefer the best. The TTI one is alright and feels similar. I didn't care for the Roth one at all. It was way too big.

Keeping your finger off the trigger is certainly the most important thing. However, I use the safety when chambered and slung in the field. Murphy has a tendency to sneak up on you and cause some fluke thing to occur where a buckle for a pack gets into the trigger guard, leaning the rifle/shotgun against a tree/rocks and it dumps over and somehow something ends up pressing the trigger. Reaching for the gun in the dark and your fingers end up in the trigger guard is a huge issue. Add the adrenaline of a hunt or a bump in the night and peoples fine motor skills go to crap. Plenty of injured and dead hunters can attest to that happening. I guess the dead ones can't attest to much. Bumps in the night in the field are pretty common. In your mind its either a Skinwalker or a racoon.

Even for a handgun, I'll keep the pistol in its holster to prevent any fumbled fingers getting into the trigger guard in the dark. Be it on my night stand or tent/pack/truck camping.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I would have to argue doing two things can't possibly take the same time as doing one thing if you're doing them the same speed both times unless you have some space-time manipulation trick. ;)

If you're saying most of the time, in reality it's not going to matter much, sure. 

People have a tendency to see, buy and install "go fast parts" even when it's not a good idea.  The RCI safety is kind on like that. With it I can start with my finger on the trigger if I want (or a fraction of an inch away), and deactivate the safety with the middle of my finger without taking it off the trigger. Because I've shot plenty of match stages where I could start with the gun shouldered and pointed right at the first target, that ability does matter and does save time.  That's not a most of the time thing though. And for people not using their gun for that type shooting, it's more likely a never thing. 

i have the tti oversized safety. i like it. u can feel that its engaged with the inside of your knuckle. the only thing that would make it better would be if when it was “off” the visible end would be red, but thats only a minor issue. 

Edited by xblax619