Benelli m2 Barrel Scratches

Jani55

Is the uneven wear and tear on the barrel normal of this M2. It is on the area that is covered by the fore-end when assembled. The gun has never been misused and has been mostly used for trap/skeet. 

Wondering if I can claim my warranty for this? 

benelli scratch.jpeg

I've found the camo wrap on these blemish WAY easier than the actual metal finish. It makes sense though since it is effectively a wrap. At least on the old SBE's, they are standard finished parts underneath so the wrap can be removed and either run bare metal with the matte black look, or have it hydro-dipped to reapply a camo (or other) pattern.

No it is not normal if it came from the factory that way. But, if they had, it should have been addressed at that time. With normal use I've found these camo wraps will wear through the image with extended use, and any impacts will tear chips out like it shows in yours. I've had some bumps and rubs that seemed so insignificant do this. I know the same impact wouldn't have looked as visible on regular blued or matte finishes which penetrate the metal. As a result, long ago, I went back to standard metal finishes on all my hunting arms that will see any extended service. This "weakness" is fairly industry wide. If they are painted on instead of a wrap, they last a little better, but not as well as blued, NP3, etc where it penetrates the metal. It's maybe not the best analogy, but I liken it to the idea of bed liners can take a ton of abuse. The same abuse against the original paint would be very evident.

Like Remarkable said, it's worth a call to Benelli. Be nice and politely plead your case. You never know.

5 hours ago, REZARF2 said:

It looks like it’s over the barrel roll marks? At least it looks like symbols underneath. I would bet the wrap/dip wouldn’t adhere to a roll stamped surface vs a smooth surface. I’m just guessing here. 

Or the contact with the fore-end accelerated the finish wear (that is not seen until the gun is disassembled)

"It is on the area that is covered by the fore-end when assembled"