duck choke tubes

bodin1968

my benelli M2 12-gauge shoots high with my factory benelli choke tubes.... can anyone match choke tube and hevi-shot or steel shot size AND what manuf. and size choke tube (modified etc..) would anyone recommend for approx. 35 yard shots at passing waterfowl???????? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my SBE II and am kinda concerned. It sounds like no one likes the factory chokes. Is there something wrong with them? I think I am gonna get a Rhino for turkey but am unsure about waterfowl next season. Any advice would be appreciated. Please give pros and cons about factory chokes. Thanks.

kuke 05,

I think it's wrong to assume that there must something wrong with the factory chokes tubes that come with the SBE II...or that so many people dislike them. I personally know many more people using the factory tubes than not.

Looking at this site or any other shotgun site, might be misleading. Most shooters I know of do not frequent these kinds of sites and therefore do not post their opinions about the success of the stock tubes.

Most of us, including myself wandered over to these sites to find help in fixing a problem and/or love to tinker with guns.

I fall into both of the categories above...

I am an avid waterfowler, and I use the factory choke tubes (I shoot both an M2 and a SBE2)...I do not have any issues with them, and they pattern fine for me. The only aftermarket choke tube I have is a Patternmaster extended range. When I shoot Hevi-Shot I use my IC (usually #4 shot for ducks), works well for me. What choke tube are you currently using? Patternmaster makes a choke tube for decoying birds, but prior to investing in an aftermarket tube, I would explore all angles of the issue. When I have any issues, I usually try to evaluate what I am doing first that could cause this. Lots of issues in hunting, believe it or not come from operator error. (Not saying that is always the case, but usually where I start) I would start by looking at what type of round I am using and try a different manufacturer. My hunting buddy used some cheaper shells one morning and was frustrated after two flocks of decoying birds landed on top of us and he missed everytime he fired...later when we got back to the house, we patterened his gun with what he was using and a different shell, and there was an extremely significant difference. This is one example. Also, for hevi-shot, I would use a Mod or ImpCyl only. I would not use a IM or Full choke. I tend to like to try different manufacturers ammo and see what works best for me...this changes from person to person, along with shooting styles. Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

I just got my SBE II and am kinda concerned. It sounds like no one likes the factory chokes. Is there something wrong with them? I think I am gonna get a Rhino for turkey but am unsure about waterfowl next season. Any advice would be appreciated. Please give pros and cons about factory chokes. Thanks.

Like others have said, it all depends on the choke load combo.

Shotguns like rifles have thier likes and dislikes of ammo, before going out and buying a new choke take the time to pattern your gun.

There is nothing wrong with factory chokes, in fact they sometimes patteren better than aftermarket chokes. I shoot an SEB, and have had no trouble taking a limmit of ducks or shooting a turkey with factory chokes. The biggest reason I bought a aftermarket choke was that I wanted that extra edge, as I thing many others want also.

Here is a pic of a Wad wizard SWAT pattern next to a Benelli Mod shooting my favorite duck loadGuns035.jpg

It doesn't look like much on paper, but I still think that I hit more birds when I have my Wad Wizard in.

my benelli M2 12-gauge shoots high with my factory benelli choke tubes.... can anyone match choke tube and hevi-shot or steel shot size AND what manuf. and size choke tube (modified etc..) would anyone recommend for approx. 35 yard shots at passing waterfowl???????? thanks!

I also have a Benelli M2 and it shoots quite well for me. With the factory mod choke my gun shoots pretty flat.

Before you go out and attempt to find the "perfect choke" you might want to check your gun mount and fit.

Have you tried adjusting the fit using the shims? Tha would be the first place to try. Then work on your mount to get it consistant and good.

These are both freebies that you can check etc. At 20 to 50 per choke you could quickly end up with a collection of chokes taht you do not like.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

For Steel Waterfowl loads,Try a Comp n choke i.c. I've been using them w/ 3" fast steel loads for several years now. They give a well distributed pattern from 15 to 35+ yards. I will cleanly kill crossing Mallards out to 40 yards. I use #3 shot for all ducks and small geese. I use the i.c. 90% of the time. I only go to the Patternmaster in heavy wind (but you cannot shoot ducks closer than 25 yards, too dense). The Comp n Choke works! Get the blued version. I also use them for Doves and Snipe with lead shells. You will not be dissappointed!