Off topic: Good .22LR ?

LabradorGuy

Can anyone recommend a good .22LR bolt action that won't break the bank? The local shop has a Savage Mk. II and the price is right but I've never shot Savage before. They also have a Russian Baikal that fits me really well but I'm not so sure about accuracy. There's a Remington Model 5 but it's more expensive. However, if it's a much better gun I'd go for it. Any and all suggestions welcome.

tucker is right. I don't have a 22 savage but I do have a 22-250 and a .223 savage and they are both great guns. Sorry mr.military, CZ rifles and savage rilfes aren't in the same ballpark. CZ rifles cost 3 times what a savage cost. (cz .22 573.00 msrp and savage .22 181.00 msrp).

novaking

tucker is right. I don't have a 22 savage but I do have a 22-250 and a .223 savage and they are both great guns. Sorry mr.military, CZ rifles and savage rilfes aren't in the same ballpark. CZ rifles cost 3 times what a savage cost. (cz .22 573.00 msrp and savage .22 181.00 msrp).

novaking

Savages are good shooters and offer good value for a lower priced weapon, they are often more accurate than guns twice their money, however, that isnt the case when it faces the CZ. Throw the $$$ equation out and go head to head and CZ's will win. The Savages advantage is lower in price and a very accurate for the money, but a CZ is just a better all round gun, including the accuracy dept. Im not bashing Savage, i had a Scout in .308 and LOVED that gun and it never failed me and was always accurate.

I have a Savage 17HMR that I bought at the Fall Hunting Classic a couple years ago for $159.That gun impressed me since day one.

So much is said about performance, knock down power,and so on,that the fact is sometimes lost that a gun can be just plain fun to shoot.Whatever you choose,have a blast with it.Enjoy it and don't worry about what you could have had for a few dollars more. I have no doubt that the Savage will become an extention of your arm! Take care.

Now we are talking fun. I have owned so many .22 rifles over the years that I'm not sure exactly how many. Lately all the companies claim great accuracy, but I'm having a problem finding a relatively inexspensive .22 that is really accurate. Currently I own a Remington model 514 single shot, manufactured around 1963, that needed some TLC but after it was cleaned up, prints out nice little groups at 50 feet. The big surprise was a rifle recommended by my local gun store. A Thompson-Center, .22 semi-auto, model R55 Classic with a 22 inch match grade tapered barrel. This is one accurate .22! After mounting a Simmons 3-9 power scope, I started getting a few quarter size groups at 50 yards. Talk about a serious squirrel .22. Without the scope on, just plinking at chips of wood at the 100 yard range back stop is soooo much fun. Bring extra ammo !!

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

I've got a Thompson R55 Benchmark.

It shoots OK, but the factory trigger is heavy and has quite a bit of creep.

I've worked it down a bit, but I'm still not happy with it.

It's also not too fond of fouling and needs cleaning after a few hundred rounds.

The Savage Accu-trigger is the best thing to happen to rifle triggers since rifle triggers. :cool:

For ANY amount of money, the Savage is your best bet for an accurate mass-produced rimfire.

CZ's are good, but rifle in and rifle out, they don't keep up with the Savages.

Here's a sample from the Savageshooters website:

In case you can't see the details that well, this is 5 groups of 5 shots each at 100 yards.

Who shoots stuff at 50 feet?

Just grab it if it's that close!

4.jpg

Not bad....

You did notice those dime-sized Savage groups on the paper plate were at 100 yards, didn't you?

Did you also notice that they were .22LR and not mags?

I've never understood the need for the .17 and .22 mags.

My .22 LR will put down a small deer with no trouble.

My Savage 22-250 will take care of the rest out to 500.

5 @ 100

32608group_4-23.jpg

5 @ 500

32608500group.jpg

not bad at all! i did notice the 100 yrd plate, unfortunately since last year and half our range that went 115 yrds has been closed down due to nearby homeowners making up lies and whining about us shooting and when i did shoot that far i was right on par if not better than some of your groups, i just dont have targets anymore. Like i said, i like the Savages, just like the CZ's better, i think they are more solid, better built and more accurate, but nothin at all wrong with a Savage.

My piece of junk mossberg 22 broke a few weeks ago, so I am in the market for a new one.

What model savage is most accurate/cost effective/best? I've never really looked at them before, and don't really have time to research them like I used to.

Tucker you seem to know quite a bit about them, which should I look at?

One of the cool things about the Savage firearms is that they all shoot very well right out of the box.

Just choose the configuration that's going to best suit your needs.

If you're looking for a lighter weight for a walking squirrel hunt, then the sporter barreled models will do fine.

If you want more accuracy and stability for varmints and paper-punching then check out the bull barreled models.

Single shot or repeater. They all shoot well.

I like this one.

http://www.savagearms.com/markiibv.htm

The Accu-trigger is simply amazing.

Completely safe, yet user-adjustable.

The blade takes a little getting used to, but it feels perfectly natural after a box or two of ammo at the bench.

http://www.savagearms.com/at_pressrelease.htm

There are a ton of aftermarket products available for the Savages as well.

You can trick them out as fancy or plain as you like and can afford.

The Ruger 10/22 is perhaps the only one that is more modular than the Savage.

Lab, if you like the Savage price and the gun sounds like you found a match made in heaven!

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $250 for a good 22lr bolt action......I picked up a slightly used Anschutz sporter in 22lr a few months ago for less than $250 and it's a very good shooter! Not as accurate as my "tricked-out" 10/22 but I have much more munny in the former Ruger....it doesn't have anything Ruger on it anymore!

22WMR's make a lot of sence when shooting critters like coyotes in that 100-175 yd range effectively. A 22lr doesn't kill effectively beyond 75yds....yep you can punch holes in paper buy I've seen chucks run in a hole with 3 shots from a 22lr in them at 50yds! I'm in the same camp as tuck with respect to the 17's...just don't get all the marketing hype and I know alotta guys love'm! I think everybody needs a cause to champion and for some folks it's the 17.