Surefire M80 Rails on M4 / M1014

Flame Red

Wanted to post a problem that was brought to my attention by FIAVAIM and explains an intermittant FTE problem I have observed. After installing the M80 rail, I noticed that occassionally the bolt would not go all the way back after firing, causing a FTE. I kind of shugged it off but I have determined the cause.

When you remove the barrel from the SG with the M80 installed, you will notice that if you apply some light pressure on the rear of the rail system it can cause the movable gas tubes to rub against the rubber that holds the rail system to the barrel. This seems to be caused by excessive play in that cut out in the rubber in the area of the tubes. The interference seems to make the gun unable to properly cycle.

I attempted to reduce the play buy using a small bit of JB weld on the rubber, but JB weld did not seem to adhear. I found that 3M automotive tape was the perfect thickness and I happened to have a roll of 1/2" diameter that was perfect. This is doulbe sided tape, so I left the plastic strip on one side. I cut a peice of the double sided tape about 2" in length and it seemed to adhear well to the rubber. I put it on the 'bottom' part of the rubber, where it meets the bottom of the tubes. Not on the part where the tubes move, but the static tubes that are immovable on the barrel. This tape was the prefect thickness. It was not longer possible to apply pressure to the rail system and cause the tubes to rub anymore.

I hope this will cure the problem but I will not be able to do a feild test until next weekend. Will post results here.

Definitely keep us updated on this. I have the M80 on mine, have put about 100rds through it and have not had this problem/situation arise. With that being said, I don't think I am putting pressure on the back of the rail, my hand is about mid-length up the rail during firing.

Doesn't the M80 have some notches on both side of the rail to mount to the Shotgun and keep the rail for moving.

Thanks for the info

Doesn't the M80 have some notches on both side of the rail to mount to the Shotgun and keep the rail for moving.

Thanks for the info

Yes it does. But apparently if you put pressure (as I sometime do) in the right spot the rubber bearly hits the tubes and hinders their movement just enough to stop the bolt from going all the way back. Does nto do it every time of course. I do think it has a lot to do with where and how you grab it and how hard.

Simple fix, I will have to post some picts if it fixes it.

I've shot over 1,000 rounds though mine and finally decided to clean it. I noticed the rubber on the inside was somewhat melted and stuck on the mag tube and the tubes the pistons sit inside. It took me a while to scrape it off, but the M80 rail doesn't seem to be damaged at all. Ive never had any failures from the rail, other than all the little screws that hold the rubber to the rail popping out on me, it seems to be great.

I took my M1014 out to the range and put 100 rounds thru her without any malfunctions what so ever. I am very confident that this repair does work. Also, I noted that the tape did not stick to the tubes on the barrel even after all that firing.

First of all, here is a picture of the 3M tape I used. It is available at WallyWorld and other auto parts stores. I have seen it in the store in 1/2" and one inch widths. 1/2" is perfect. This tape sticks great and is the perfect thickness. It is used to stick exterior body parts on cars, like bug shields, aftermarket ground effect kits, etc. It is pretty tough stuff.

mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtnxTElxz6EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

The red arrows point to the area of rubber on the M80 that the tubes can rub against causing a FTF:

IMG_0833.jpg

Note I held it up side down and the barrel is on the bottom.

Here is a pciture of it with the barrel removed so you can see where the tape is applied. The tape is the length of the fixed tubes that are welded on the barrel. Do NOT apply tape where the tubes come out and need to move! Leave the red protection on the tape as shown, the tape is sticky on both sides.

IMG_0835.jpg

and from another angle, this time I held it in the normal orientation.

IMG_0836.jpg

• 1 month later...

What about the B&T quadrail? The official word is that the quadrail will now work on all M4s. The only difference is the method of installation. It is easier to install on a 1014, but it will work on current M4s. You just have to heat the rail, take the screws out, then once apart, install them on the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

People's experiences with this M80 have certainly been polar. As for me - I haven't had any trouble with mine, as of yet. The fit is fine, the finish is excellent (typical SureFire quality), and I very much like the look and feel of this picatinny rail.

Different people's mileage certainly varies - but the M80 is living up to everything I had expected of it, so far!

I was a bit disappointed once I figured out that it did not fit correctly, but the fix was pretty simple and seems to hold up well. I really like it as it let's me put a forward grip on it which works a lot better for me. Certainly it would be most useful for a flashlight mount platform too. If you want your Benelli to be tacticool, then it is worthwhile.

Think of it in terms of your favorite black rifle. If you like your AR-15 with front rails, then this is the way to go. If your AR-15 has the standard plastic handguards, then you probably don't need this either.

M1014.jpg

When I installed the M80 it created a slight gap between the bbl and the face of the reciever. Then I tried mounting my Surefire M600 and could not find a decent spot to mount it and still make use of the tape switch.

Quality is fantastic, but its just not perfect... at all.

The official stance from SureFire is that there are no issues with the M80 which would induce the possibility of an FTF, or melting of the thermoplastic handguard onto the gas piston region. This is supposedly based on their extensive field and controlled environment testing :rolleyes: .

• 2 weeks later...