Chokes?

stevenm2

Quick query, i'm looking to buy extended chokes for my benelli sbe2 ..... i do mixed shooting ..... so probably looking at 1/4 and 1/2 chokes ... steel proofed would be preferable ... Thats uk sizes so for americans etc emm IC and M? is that right ....

Just wanted some first hand advice or reviews.

regards to all

"...but alot of people swear by extended or ported chokes..."

The only thing extended or ported chokes do better than flush chokes is that they are easier to unthread with your fingers.

Other than that...its all sales hype.

Only ONE way to tell if your chokes make the grade. Pattern the gun, and use a computer program like Shotgun Insight (http://www.shotgun-insight.com/) to analyze the patterns.

Anything else is just guesswork.

i have heard mixed reviews of extended chokes, some say they produce more consistent patterns and some say they dont make a difference ..... that why i wanted a mixture of opinion .... i shot with extended chokes on my winchester sx3 and i thought they patterened better than the facory ones that came with it!

In order to figure out the best choke, you need to pattern your gun with the shot you intend to use. Each gun will shoot a little different, so the shot/choke combination may not be the same for you as it is for me. I shoot modified for steel, and improved cylinder for tungsten based shot. I've also shot patternmaster tubes, and my factory modified actually patterned much better. Patternmaster makes quality tubes, but I can't say that they will pattern better than factory tubes. Like I said, it's gonna be trial and error.

thanks guys for the replies .... i dont know many people over here (n.ireland) that shoot benelli's so i appreciate all the feedback. I know they are big in america so that why i put this up on the forums ....

Regards to all

For extended chokes I would recommend Carlson's Chokes at http://www.choketube.com/

Briley Chokes at http://www.briley.com/

yeah true, thanks for the info .... i usually shoot 1/4 or ic for most game shooting and then 1/2 or m for steel for geese or ducks etc.... Apparantly the briley or carlson extended tubes are good!

I shoot with a Patternmaster choke tube in my Remington 870 Supermag and I love the thing. I hunt with this gun and Winchester HV 3 1/2 inch #2's when I know im going to be getting into some geese because it throws a tight, concentrated pattern that hits birds hard! The Honker's and Specks that I have killed so far this season have had pellets hit from their bill down to their a**.

This is why I shoot with a Patternmaster

Edited by duckht183

I use a Carlson's "Mid Range" Black Cloud choke tube, as I use Federal Black Cloud ammo. The only reason I obtained the tube was that the gun seemed to pattern better with that tube, and that the Carlson's tube did not cost an arm or a leg to buy.

nothing 'wrong' with 'em, but alot of people swear by extended or ported chokes ... and i think they look good also .... any ideas?

Briley Makes the best chokes! Get a Briley extended modified with the Blue tip Before I ruined my barrel Thats all I shot.(Briley Modified)

Ported is worthless loud,(will piss your hunting buddies of!) and ther is no pattern improvement.