Lost M4 magazine spring retainer

calviroman

Hi,

I have a recent production M4 shotty w/ Kip's Ti tube. I was field stripping the weapon last week and a few seconds after I removed the magazine plastic thread on cap - I hear a little mini-explosion and the magazine spring goes flying 20 feet into the air. I found the magazine spring - but can not for the life of me find the magazine spring retainer assemnly (the one with the little snap ring on it to keep the spring in the tube when the plastic cap is off). Does anybody have one I can buy from them or know of anywhere where I can get one of these little parts?

Thanks,

Cal

Where has all the innovation gone! Stick a cork in it.:cool:

The part isn't actually needed. My M4 didn't have one from the factory. The spring was simply retained by the mag cap.

I bought one of the retainers from Brownells last year. The retainer can cause issues with slightly oversized shells fitting with Wolff springs in place. Some spring trimming may be required to allow for 7, 2 3/4 shells.

Did you buy your M4 new in box or used ?

I dont see how it would fly off that would defeat its purpose , i was thinking maybe it just was never there.

Purchased brand new. 11703 model purchased in 2004. My guess is either Benelli forgot it or the gunstore who had it was fingering it and lost it.

It's not still in the faux extension tube, is it?

bought new -- I transfered the part in question from the steel oem mag tube to the kip 7-round tube. Afterwards, I shot and disassembled/cleaned the shotgun about 5 separate times/sessions. The last time I disassembled it, I removed the cap and about 10 seconds later the snap ring thing popped out (very violently) sending it and the mag spring flying. Never could find the part.

A few years ago, I got this sudden urge to hunt Quail with the 20 guage Remy 11-87. The night before I stripped it down quickly and oiled every thing including the inside of the tubular magazine. Naturally, the retainer went flying, because I was rushing things. After a short search, I pulled the retainer out of my 20 guage Browning A-5, and used that in my Remy. Worked perfectly. I ordered a couple of replacements from Remington and 2 weeks later they arrived. A week after that, I found the original part (you knew that was going to happen). Just an idea.