Locktite 242 (blue) vs Vibra Tite VC-3 for 7 round mag tubes

NHnewbie

There have been some threads here lately re installing these mag tubes, most using Locktite when installing the new tube. I am about to install one of the mag tubes and would like to make it somewhat easy to remove (vs the factory tube) but want it to be reasonably secure as well. Been reading a bit about Vibra Tite VC-3 and it seems that it might be a bit easier to remove than Locktite 242. Also considering the option on not using any threadlocker. Any wisdom on this topic appreciated.

Locktite isn't required for the installation of the magazine tube. The magazine cap will prevent the magazine tube from ever loosening on you. I find it is beneficial to be able to tear the weapon down and remove the magazine tube for deeper cleanings. If you do want to use Locktite, 243 is the preferred fastener. It is also recommended that you use Locktite Primer prior to applying the threadlocker. This will promote a better bond that will help adhere to two dissimilar metals.

I haven't 'broken the seal' on my SBS, but my experience with my full length is that it does not move without thread lock.

With the detent system on the cap, as SD says, I don't think it would move. If so, the cap would have been found to have loosened and fallen off during use as well.

I'd just hand check it during assembly / disassembly. You can put witness marks on it with a pencil.

I am going to install my new mag tube without thread compound. I read somewhere else that it is not needed and makes it easier for a complete breakdown for thorough cleaning. There is a lot of thread to unscrew if it were to ever try to loosen and I imagine it would be easily noticed.

A minor point : The M4 magazine tube can be loose and rotate its position forward a thread pitch or two in length and it really wouldn't matter as the M4 barrel headspace is not dependent on the magazine tube being properly located along its axis with the receiver. The M1 / M2's however, the barrel headspace is indexed off the magazine tube so it is important to mark the alignment before / after magazine tube removal / installation on these models.