828U barrel tension adjustment

doctorlivingstone

I don't have an 828U but having owned a number of O/U shotguns I'd be very surprised if there is such an end-user adjustment ability. The lockup of a break-action firearm is critical to proper function and safety and I doubt a manual adjustment of that is advisable. The only way my O/U guns ever "loosened up" was through heavy use.

You're right - with any other O/U the only way to loosen it up was to shoot it - a lot.

However - The 828U is a bit different than any other previous O/U. Opening the firearm does not cock the gun, that's now done with the opening lever. There is no linkage between the fore end and the triggers. The fore end cover is purely cosmetic. Benelli advertises that it's adjustable - so - I was hoping someone may have one and had made an adjustment.

• Like 1

For anyone interested - here's the answer (from Benelli) - The barrel tension adjustment is located on the forend iron inside of the forend. There is a flat blade set screw towards the rear of the iron. If the screw is tightened, the pressure on the barrels is lightened. However, if tightened too far, it can crack the forend as the screw protrudes through the bottom of the forend iron. If the customer wishes to tighten the tension, just loosen the screw.

• 3 years later...

The forend lug on the barrel that the forend attaches to is where to look. It has a small set screw on the bottom and a larger adjustment screw. The allen wrenches to do this are in the accessory box. Loosen the small set screw then turn the larger screw either by finger or wrench (through the backside). ONLY 1/2 turn at a time. Towards the muzzle to loosen it, towards the breech to tighten. When the desired tension is achieved, remember to tighten the set screw. Not too loose as this will cause malfunctions. 

• 4 months later...

Benelligunny, thanks for that post. My 828 seemed to be somewhat loose and then I was having a problem with the top barrel ejector not releasing when I opened the gun. It hung up and if I closed and reopened the action the spent shell would eject.  Cleaning didn't help. My action is now properly adjusted and I'm hoping that will resolve the problem. I also discovered that the set screw for the adjustment screw is missing.  Do you by any chance have the specifications for that screw, as I don't see where I can order one from Benelli.

Thanks,

9 hours ago, Ricktrr said:

Benelligunny, thanks for that post. My 828 seemed to be somewhat loose and then I was having a problem with the top barrel ejector not releasing when I opened the gun. It hung up and if I closed and reopened the action the spent shell would eject.  Cleaning didn't help. My action is now properly adjusted and I'm hoping that will resolve the problem. I also discovered that the set screw for the adjustment screw is missing.  Do you by any chance have the specifications for that screw, as I don't see where I can order one from Benelli.

Thanks,

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/benelli-828u/forend-adjusting-screw.html

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2016 at 3:45 PM, doctorlivingstone said:

For anyone interested - here's the answer (from Benelli) - The barrel tension adjustment is located on the forend iron inside of the forend. There is a flat blade set screw towards the rear of the iron. If the screw is tightened, the pressure on the barrels is lightened. However, if tightened too far, it can crack the forend as the screw protrudes through the bottom of the forend iron. If the customer wishes to tighten the tension, just loosen the screw.

Big thanks for this one! The action on my new 828U was pretty tight and I've spent a lot of time trying to break it in. Simply adjusting this set screw in the fore end loosened 'er right up!

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2019 at 8:15 PM, Benelligunny said:

The forend lug on the barrel that the forend attaches to is where to look. It has a small set screw on the bottom and a larger adjustment screw. The allen wrenches to do this are in the accessory box. Loosen the small set screw then turn the larger screw either by finger or wrench (through the backside). ONLY 1/2 turn at a time. Towards the muzzle to loosen it, towards the breech to tighten. When the desired tension is achieved, remember to tighten the set screw. Not too loose as this will cause malfunctions. 

Thank you for your explanation!  This fixed the ONLY thing that I didn't like about my 828U.

Rob