REALITY CHECK: Benelli TACTICAL M4/ M2 OPTICS

kenw111

This is about TACTICAL USE / BUILD of a Benelli………NOT skeet, not birds from a blind! etc

Typical accurate but 100% IGNORANT statement :::

“Again, go shoot skeet with an optic and see how good you do and how fast you are.”.

TRUE, but skeet / birds is NOT a tactical setup for a Benelli M2 / M4 !!

99% of which is SLUGS and 00 BUCK for CQB use……Iron sights are wonderful for countless reasons, but a holographic display is best in most instances for accuracy in use of CQB, Eotech is the best holographic display, but an insanely ignorant, obnoxious horrific idea to put on a ANY BENELLI , ever. ….. I love EOTECHs and own 7 of them, but NONE OF THEM are mounted on any of my Benellis for what should be a totally obvious set of reasons

>>>>>Option #1 below:

Eotech are the best HWS (holographic weapons sight) but they’re HUGE and not for shotgun use, ever PERIOD… (I own 7 of them! I love eotechs)….They are the WORST IDEA imaginable to mount on any Benelli, the mass of same will SHEER the screws (seen it happen 2 times to others) holding the pic rail to the frame, also too, it will splay / enlarge the threaded screw holes on the frame……not only is this absurd, its like a elephant riding on a horse……Its both sketch and cringe worthy to see one mounted on a Benelli….. I love the heck out of EOTECHs!,…..but that is NEVER going on a Benelli for countless reasons!  Ughhhh!.

>>>>Option #2 below:  (now we are talking!!!!)

Either Vortex Razor Red dot (what I use on my Benellis) or the Trijicon are the ACTUAL HWS (holographic weapons sight) that should be used on a Benelli!!

Incredible FOV for CQB or dropping a slug ACCURATELY on a subject at 50+ yards (if needed). ……….Option #2 (most logical in my conclusion , see option #3 below) does NOT co-witness with the iron sights and that is 100% exactly what I want, I do not want the busy &$%((^(#!!! Mess of iron sights in the window of my HWS (holographic weapons sight) !!.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-red-dot.html?vortex_reticle=942

>>>>Option #3 below:

Sleek, low profile,  the “sexy” option…..a Trijicon on the sclarworks……PROBLEM???? See picture below…..i tried this setup on a buddies gun and its HORRIFIC, I hated it, I do NOT NOT NOT want iron sights sticking its ‘butt’ in my face occluding my HWS (holographic weapons sight) WINDOW!!   Of course this is subjective, but I hate to Hades and back of having my HWS (holographic weapons sight) occluded by anything,  …….i laugh every time someone praises the co-witnessing of iron sights with optics…….Ughhhh!

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/sync-trijicon-rmr-mount/

>>>>Option #4 below:

Or something like this where an Elephant is riding on the back of a pony ……. (rolls eyes)…… Seen several Benellis have something like this

The Benelli frame is ALUMINUM, the shock and sheer force from such a mass will , given time, SHEER the bolts from the frame, but will with 100% certainly splay / enlarge the holes on the frame….. this is NOT a STEEL FRAMED Remington 870 !!

Top heavy disaster / mess,…….. you just do NOT put optics like this on a Benelli,  …….. EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR. 

screenshot_1465.jpg

screenshot_1466.jpg

screenshot_1467.jpg

screenshot_1468.jpg

• Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

If you don't like the obstructions from the rear sight, why not remove the entire rear sight assembly? You'll cut about 3 ounces of weight. You could also remove the front sight hood to unclutter the sight picture.

bAOPaKF.jpg

logical and reasonable, yes.       nods head  :)

Contra-indicative use premise being however that all battery operated sights under adverse conditions take a dump on themselves given a chance, .....and redundancy is god.

i.e. backup iron sights.

hugs and kisses

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Even if the sight was dead, you could use the window as a large ghost ring that would be good enough for shotgunning distances.

a dead window vs. the rear sights....... rear sights win.

However your premise is accurate , .....generally.      NOT generally however for slugs and 00 buck,......these are not bird guns throwing a swath of tiny pellets.

17 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

???

Who is talking about birdshot? You should know your buckshot load pattern at various ranges. 

None of the other options presented here can even see the iron sights. They’re obstructed by the optic housing. Maybe some have a wait-a-minute quick detach lever on their base. 

name me one TINY red dot HWS that has a quick detach throw lever.

maybe one exists, but not that i know of .

18 minutes ago, kenw111 said:

most lasers ARE LEDs son..... both are point-source light emissions.

glad i could fix that confusion for you

But certainly not all LEDs are lasers...  Did you ever wonder why real HWS have such a short battery life compared to red dot sights?

Please look and see what type of point-source light emitter your vortex razor uses..and then aimpoint and trijicon.  Are they still junk?

Edited by Scout_21

Well it seams Kenw111 is the go to guy for optics.  Heck, he even used my pic in this post.  The way I see it, I put it on MY M4 THAT I PAID FOR!!!!!!!  And it the optic comes flying off it's no ones fault but my own.  If that happens then I WILL BE THE ONE TO PAY AND FIX IT!!!!! Not sure why the thread I posted was removed other that the few guys that was going back and forth over who was right.  I honestly could care less.  But its a damn shame that someone can't post a thread on here without the KIND OF EVERYTHING BENELLI highjacking the thread because someone does something he doesn't like.

• Upvote 1

...and to my knowledge no red dot or holographic sights use a laser. They are all led illuminated.

Most lasers today are led powered though...

I'm a certified, bonafide optics repair technician, licensed by zeiss and Leica geosystems. I even have a fancy name badge!?

Edited by Jolly Roger
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:

...and to my knowledge no red dot or holographic sights use a laser. They are all led illuminated.

I'm a certified, bonafide optics repair technician, licensed by zeiss and Leica geosystems. I even have a fancy name badge!?

Eotech HWS are class 1 laser products... or maybe they just enjoy putting that sticker on all of their HWS

29 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:

Just to be cheeky... looks like I'm going with swarovski for my next optics purchase ;) 

2 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

So then no lasers at all are involved in the projection of the hologram?  Then why use a laser diode?  Why not save the energy and just use a red LED like red dots?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_weapon_sight

probably all in the delivery system. I didn't design it, lol.

In the red dots, the led is carried by a fiber optic to the reflection emitter.

The holographic led goes through a screen which determines the shape projected onto your reflective glass. like a cross or circle reticle.