GT Reviews 1301 and compares to the M4

Kahamu

1 hour ago, kilyung said:

I enjoyed Mike’s review of both M4 and 1301. With Limbsaver pads on both, recoil isn’t bad on either. I love both of mine. 

Wonder why there’s so much shotgun love lately. 

86A4A502-844A-43D5-9B40-9A3605FA5F4C.jpeg

Several reasons...

1) the AR love was driven hard by GWOT. GWOT is winding down.

2) Market saturation. The AR market is saturated to the point of absurdity. Look at Aridus Ind and FFT. They have niched their way into mainstream by supporting solidly the shotgun market. I bet neither could have even touched the AR market with this level of success. 

3) Democrats are in power and people want something 50 state legal or future proofed or maybe even their local laws have shafted them.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, kilyung said:

I enjoyed Mike’s review of both M4 and 1301. With Limbsaver pads on both, recoil isn’t bad on either. I love both of mine. 

Wonder why there’s so much shotgun love lately. 

86A4A502-844A-43D5-9B40-9A3605FA5F4C.jpeg

Which barrel clamp is that? Beautiful setup.

16 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Several reasons...

1) the AR love was driven hard by GWOT. GWOT is winding down.

2) Market saturation. The AR market is saturated to the point of absurdity. Look at Aridus Ind and FFT. They have niched their way into mainstream by supporting solidly the shotgun market. I bet neither could have even touched the AR market with this level of success. 

3) Democrats are in power and people want something 50 state legal or future proofed or maybe even their local laws have shafted them.

Don't forget the cheaper reloading/ammo for shotguns as well. At the onset of the pandemic, it seemed that shotguns and aks became the next big thing due to cheaper ammo costs.

I just bought an enhanced 1301 Tactical with a straight stock. 7 round mag tube. So far I love it. Light as a feather and reliable. Doesn't replace my M4, but I'm really enjoying this shotgun. I ordered a GG&G stock adaptor and a Magpul stock. I'll post up when I get it and install it. I couldn't find the Aridus adaptor in stock anywhere.

That is a fine looking shotgun Kilyung.

• 2 weeks later...

These are both fantastic shotguns. One does not replace the other. I’m fortunate to have both. The Magpul stock is mounted with a GG&G adapter. It works nicely. I think the Aridus adapter looks cleaner, but I couldn’t find it in stock at the time.

2CFA55A0-895E-4007-A6D0-8C0DFFAA6BB7.jpeg

E52DED91-5C6F-4FE7-A665-16DE4DDC96A0.jpeg

Edited by JT111
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Devil Dawg said:

I have two m4’s and one 1301 LE. I love my Benellis, but the 1301 does better with lower loads; not even one hiccup after firing about 500 rds this week. It’s a great weapon that hopefully will soon be combat proven by the US Military. 

I have put around 8k shots through my Benelli m4, about 5k of them being light loads, never had a single issue with even fiocchi, which a lot seem to have issues with, or claim to.  Been flawless. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anon4755 said:

I have put around 8k shots through my Benelli m4, about 5k of them being light loads, never had a single issue with even fiocchi, which a lot seem to have issues with, or claim to.  Been flawless. 

My M4 can be particular about lighter loads. I’m not sure it’s totally broken in yet. How many rounds does that take on average? Anyways, it is perfectly reliable with ammunition for which it was designed. God forbid I’ll ever have to actually use this gun in battle, but if I do, I won’t use the cheap Walmart target load if I can help it, lol.  It stays cruiser ready with 00 buck in it. The 1301 has not failed once. I fully trust both of these shotguns. It’s great to own things that work. 

Edited by JT111
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JT111 said:

My M4 can be particular about lighter loads. I’m not sure it’s totally broken in yet. How many rounds does that take on average? Anyways, it is perfectly reliable with ammunition for which it was designed. God forbid I’ll ever have to actually use this gun in battle, but if I do, I won’t use the cheap Walmart target load if I can help it, lol.  It stays cruiser ready with 00 buck in it. The 1301 has not failed once. I fully trust both of these shotguns. It’s great to own things that work. 

I never "broke mine in" before i used light loads.  I just put in whatever i had and it has worked flawless.  When i held the 1301, it felt like a plastic toy, not to sound like a boomer, but the heft of the solid steel benelli vs the light plastic 1301, id be more trusting of the benelli in the chance id have to use the weapon for melee fights.  

On 2/7/2022 at 7:49 PM, SnidelyWhiplash said:

I don’t want to rain on the 1301 parade but I’m still not convinced the 1301 holds a candle to the M4.
Did anyone else pickup on the failure to eject in the video at 16:06 ?

Have you shot a 1301T? There are many that owns both the M4 & 1301T including me, most of us love the M4 mostly because of what it represents which is a proven tool in battle. A high percentage of M4 owners haven't done several days in a row course or even shoot it enough to justify the cost of this beauty. Over a 2 or 4 day 8 hours a day course it will start to feel heavy. I've done several courses when the temp feels hot as heck I prefer the 1301T because is lighter.

20220216_161454_resized_20220216-223400.jpg

GridArt_20220222_124904459.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anon4755 said:

I never "broke mine in" before i used light loads.  I just put in whatever i had and it has worked flawless.  When i held the 1301, it felt like a plastic toy, not to sound like a boomer, but the heft of the solid steel benelli vs the light plastic 1301, id be more trusting of the benelli in the chance id have to use the weapon for melee fights.  

People used to do similar comparisons between a 1911 or metal equivalent to a polymer pistols like the Glock. That opinion have gone wayside give it some time for it to prove itself.

7 hours ago, nyc71 said:

Have you shot a 1301T? There are many that owns both the M4 & 1301T including me, most of us love the M4 mostly because of what it represents which is a proven tool in battle. A high percentage of M4 owners haven't done several days in a row course or even shoot it enough to justify the cost of this beauty. Over a 2 or 4 day 8 hours a day course it will start to feel heavy. I've done several courses when the temp feels hot as heck I prefer the 1301T because is lighter.

I stand by my opinion, as posted elsewhere on this forum, that the M4 is a markedly better built combat grade weapon, while the 1301T is “a hunting gun converted to a tactical model by the addition of black furniture”. The lightness of the 1301 models is due to the use of lower quality plastic parts than are on my M4 and don’t create a level of comfort for me that warrant the cost savings. I bought my M4’s because I’m willing to pay the price for the most durable combat grade weapon available for my needs (home defense, duty work, truck gun, etc). I couldn’t care less about the M4’s ability to shoot “light loads”; My M4 will only see buckshot and slugs that it was designed for and which it handles flawlessly.

I know I sound like a broken record but another user posted a quote from the owner of Battlefield Vegas : “If I could only ever own just one shotgun in my life, it would be the Benelli M4.” That convinced me.

I’m glad your 1301’s have been reliable for you and that you’re happy with them. I’m just not willing, and don’t need, to drop down in price / quality / reliability / durability for my shotguns and the roles they fill.

PS - The more I read your message the more it comes across as a kinda pompous reply. Perhaps I’m misreading it or missing your true intent? I’m willing to listen if you have a legitimate argument and reason (other than “It’s lighter”) as to the superiority of the 1301 over the M4.

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash
  • Upvote 2