RMR or SRO for M4 11715

Jonnylaw

I know there have been many threads on red dots and I’ve read through them but I’m still having trouble deciding between a SRO and Jager bros shield or RMR. Will be mounting to a scalarworks sync. My M4 is a LE model with telescopic stock and night sights.

Also unsure on MOA size (2.5, 3.5, 5, 6) and color if going with RMR (red, amber, green) with the night sights.

I run an Eotech on my duty rifle and a T2 on my personal rifle (the aim point is a starburst to my eyes). The eotech and Holosun on my duty rifle look fine to me.

Any suggestions or sight pictures of these setups would be greatly appreciated!

Two M4’s both running SRO’s w/Jagerworks BROS. The SRO’s replaced two RMR’s that I thought would never leave my M4’s, but for my eyes I really took to the larger sight radius and ability to change battery from the top, IMO improved overall & never looked back. Only reason I went ahead and installed the BROS was fear..from all the people running RMR’s that constantly say the RMR(and Trijicon) is more tough/battle tested. I went with 2.5 MOA dot for both SRO’s, I would have gone with the smallest 1.0 dot but my aging eyes gravitate to a touch larger dot.

I would recommend the 5 MOA SRO for a defensive shotgun.  I'm an avid USPSA shooter and most guys in open and carry optics run a 5 to 6 and sometimes larger MOA dots.  This is because it picks up significantly faster than a smaller dot for most people.  The argument is that you can turn up a smaller dot and make it appear larger.  This is true, however, for many people it's detracting because it "blooms" the dot.  I personally hate this and prefer and crisp round dot that isn't glaring bright and spikey looking.  Also, a 5 MOA dot is only about an inch or so at 25 yards so it's more precise than the shotgun will ever be.

• Upvote 2

5 MOA is the way to go. The idea to start with a smaller dot and brighten it so you get a bigger MOA is pretty backwards. Not only does it have that blooming effect as mentioned above, but also it kills your battery life.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CobraBG said:

I would agree that the battery location on the RMR seems to be a concern. I run 3 RMRs on different weapons and I just replace the batteries annually. It really has not been an issue. Replacing the batteries is still very simple.

Agreed, it's not really a big deal.

• Upvote 1