Design Concepts Lightweight Charging Handle

Impox

Oh my dude...I gave up on that in 2009ish. I even tracked down the original inventor/maker. Ive owned all but the coveted DC full Ti one you seek.

Kips Ti/A2 in pvd black, the various FFTs, and now the RX. The RX is the best of them all so far, but stay tuned in the coming weeks/months for something else to consider. 

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rubicon20032003 said:

Last one I saw sale went for big money .That’s why rx arms is the best out there now .I have a old comp carrier handle on one of m4s 

I like RX over CC. The CC was too easily removed. That said, the RX is a bit difficult. Id advocate for a middle ground, but would err toward the RX.

Design Concepts bolt handles are pretty rare. I had one about eight years ago. Below are photos of it compared to a Carriercomp knob I had. The Design Concepts unit was the lightest bolt handle out there by a few grams. It was made entirely of titanium which meant the tip deformed over time. If you look at the close up photos of the tip, you can see how the material was deforming. The knurling wasn't as well defined as the carriercomp knob either. Knurling titanium is a pain in the ass to get just right. You often times see the tool smudging the material and not developing sharp points on the checkers.

P0x9MYY.jpg

wZtU8u4.jpg

Aii0Cpj.jpg

5N9CHdh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Design Concepts bolt handles are pretty rare. I had one about eight years ago. Below are photos of it compared to a Carriercomp knob I had. The Design Concepts unit was the lightest bolt handle out there by a few grams. It was made entirely of titanium which meant the tip deformed over time. If you look at the close up photos of the tip, you can see how the material was deforming. The knurling wasn't as well defined as the carriercomp knob either. Knurling titanium is a pain in the ass to get just right. You often times see the tool smudging the material and not developing sharp points on the checkers.

P0x9MYY.jpg

wZtU8u4.jpg

Aii0Cpj.jpg

5N9CHdh.jpg

Nice I was going to dig mine out for pics.Keep them in parts bin these days.Like I said before I prefer the new rx arms ones..Think I have two of each generation 

Edited by rubicon20032003
  • Upvote 2

On 5/22/2022 at 7:22 AM, Impox said:

Anyone have one for sale or know anyone who does? I've been looking forever for one for my M4 and can't find anyone who has one or wants to sell it.

All you need is to find a turner and some titanium bar. I made these two handles myself, one of the original shape, but weighs half as much as the original. The second enlarged, weighs the same. The enlarged one has a fine thread on top to increase friction.

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-24 (3).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-24 (2).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-24.jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-23 (3).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-23 (2).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-23.jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-22.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 5/22/2022 at 10:25 PM, StrangerDanger said:

P0x9MYY.jpg

wZtU8u4.jpg

Aii0Cpj.jpg

5N9CHdh.jpg

That is a nice sharp knurl, but as for the knurling being sub par On DC, i have intentionally done a similar knurl. Referred to as “volcano” in the bar bell world.  And it has a purpose.

My theory is that with too much grip there is more of a chance of rotating the handle out of place.  This is why FFT handles rotate out all the time. That OEM style Of pin that holds the detent, is not meant for a knurled handle IMO.

So for my Benelli M4 charging handle, I wanted to decrease the chance of rotating out and also less sharp on skin, thus the “volcano”.

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Arik said:

All you need is to find a turner and some titanium bar. I made these two handles myself, one of the original shape, but weighs half as much as the original. The second enlarged, weighs the same. The enlarged one has a fine thread on top to increase friction.

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-24 (3).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-24 (2).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-24.jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-23 (3).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-23 (2).jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-23.jpg

photo_2022-05-25_18-34-22.jpg

You have my wallet's attention.

51 minutes ago, RxArms said:

That is a nice sharp knurl, but as for the knurling being sub par On DC, i have intentionally done a similar knurl. Referred to as “volcano” in the bar bell world.  And it has a purpose.

My theory is that with too much grip there is more of a chance of rotating the handle out of place.  This is why FFT handles rotate out all the time. That OEM style Of pin that holds the detent, is not meant for a knurled handle IMO.

So for my Benelli M4 charging handle, I wanted to decrease the chance of rotating out and also less sharp on skin, thus the “volcano”.

I agree fully, and I prefer volcano knurling on my oly bars. Also, I am looking at your CH, and it looks like you've provided a break to the sharp edge to the front of the detent hole. I think this is excellent!

7 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I agree fully, and I prefer volcano knurling on my oly bars. Also, I am looking at your CH, and it looks like you've provided a break to the sharp edge to the front of the detent hole. I think this is excellent!

Yes to try and help to remove it… otherwise I think it would be stuck forever!  

47 minutes ago, Unobtanium said:

Yes, this was my original critique, and am glad to see it gained traction. It was my only complaint.

I’ve always had the break there since gen 1, I wanted it hard to remove, better hard to remove than too easy, it was a design intent I had.  Yes it can be tough to get out on newer guns… wiggle it a bit while pulling back can do it 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, Unobtanium said:

Yes, this was my original critique, and am glad to see it gained traction. It was my only complaint.

I've actually made a minor change based on this feedback on the latest batch (finishing up today) to address this concern.  Thanks for pointing it out, gave me something to consider the past day.  Was able to get the change in just in time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RxArms said:

I've actually made a minor change based on this feedback on the latest batch (finishing up today) to address this concern.  Thanks for pointing it out, gave me something to consider the past day.  Was able to get the change in just in time.

I put myself on the waitlist for one of your charging handles after getting a good look at it. As long as it's not stock or GG&G, I'm good for it.

• Upvote 1