Benelli M4 - What sling?

ipguy

I see that the front sling mount on the M4 is directed downward, ostensibly for ambidextrous use with a sling, and that the rear sling mount on the collapsing stock is for "side mounting".

Has anyone "slung" their M4/M1014? Have you found a side sling mount for the front? Does it matter? Worse case, I may just buy the CQB (Specter Gear) sling for the M1/M3 even though the mounts are 90 degrees apart. Open to suggestions; thanks in advance.

• 5 years later...

Ipguy:

I keep pushing the Urban Sentry Sling for the M4. You can configure it any way you want in a couple different styles very easily. Its pretty rugged too, I own one. Its a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I had the Spectre on it and it just wasnt for me. Here is the urban sentry video that shows you how to config. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvCkFnfUCqI

• 3 weeks later...

I used a blackhawk and a Spectre on mine years ago ... then I realized it was worthless to have a sling for my intended application (HD), and it hasn't had one since.

ETA - That one linked above looks cool though, I like 2 points that mount ahead of the cheekweld ... one of my major complaints of the stock was the rear attachment point.

Edited by Duggan

The rear mount sucks. It limits your ability to pull the stock into your shoulder pocket.

Currently, I've tied my stock off to the front strap of my ammo carrier to give me more room.

058_assy_6_med_bw.jpg

When the Mesa stock is released, I'm going to get a padded VCAS for my tan M4. I have an OD green one tied off with paracord until the stock is released.

vickers%20bp%20padded%20AA@800wm1.jpg

Stay away from single points on an 18.5" barrel. They are a pendulum of pain.

Stranger,

That sling looks awesome. I Called GG&G a few months back and they said they are working on making a Sling Loop that will mount between the stock and Receiver of the M4 like they make for the other Benelli's. I am with both you and Duggan concerning the Issue with the stock and strapping in the sling. Totally screws the Cheek Weld, which is why I went with the Urban Sentry for the time being. Please post some pix of your set up with the Mesa Stock comes out, I am very interested.

• 3 weeks later...
I use an HK Claw hook. It keeps the sling to whichever side you choose.

This is one of the best options.

I also think a sling loop between the stock and receiver with Magpuls new single/double point sling would be great as well. Thats my plan at least. ;)

Here is the sling I was refering to explained by Magpul's Chris Costa. Its just the first few minutes of this video.

I have one on my AR and it is really easy to use and versitle.

He reminds me of Billy Mays, but for gun paraphernalia

Here is the sling I was refering to explained by Magpul's Chris Costa. Its just the first few minutes of this video.

I have one on my AR and it is really easy to use and versitle.

The MS2 sling kinda sucks and will not be well suited for a large heavy weapon like the benelli m4.

I say this as a guy who has bought and used just about every product magpul has ever sold ... including 10 of the MS2 / ASAP plates that I resold.

The MS2 is very flexible material ... too flexible. It's pretty much akin to a nylon ribbon, as opposed to a thick flat ropelike consistency like most other slings.

This means that it gets bunched up if you try and do the thing he does in the demo, and it just plain doesn't work as well as he makes it look. Lots of people have this complaint ... which is one reason why the MS3 sling is said to be made of significantly thicker materical.

Also, you don't want a one point on an m4 ... just trust us on that one.

The VCAS stevenb linked above looks much more suited to M4 use, as it's much thicker and robust. I will consider one if / when the urbino comes out.

The MS2 sling kinda sucks and will not be well suited for a large heavy weapon like the benelli m4.

I say this as a guy who has bought and used just about every product magpul has ever sold ... including 10 of the MS2 / ASAP plates that I resold.

The MS2 is very flexible material ... too flexible. It's pretty much akin to a nylon ribbon, as opposed to a thick flat ropelike consistency like most other slings.

This means that it gets bunched up if you try and do the thing he does in the demo, and it just plain doesn't work as well as he makes it look. Lots of people have this complaint ... which is one reason why the MS3 sling is said to be made of significantly thicker materical.

The VCAS stevenb linked above looks much more suited to M4 use, as it's much thicker and robust. I will consider one if / when the urbino comes out.

That's kind of a let down. ;(

The guy in the video made it look so awesome and easy to use.

That's kind of a let down. ;(

The guy in the video made it look so awesome and easy to use.

Personally, I have and use the MS2 sling. I think it is one of the most versatile slings on the market. Great hardware. There is some truth to Duggan's claims that the webbing is too flexible (it's made from tube webbing for strength, and the trade-off of that durability is reduced rigidity) and I'd add that it catches on Velcro-type hooks a bit too easily too. That said, I don't have any trouble with using the sling on my carbine. It definitely wouldn't be well suited for a Benelli M4 though. The M4 demands a more rigid middle-weight or heavy-weight sling.

Edited by LeoAtrox

Yeah, I haven't used this sling on my M1 yet, but I will as I don't care to buy/train on another system.

I don't work behind a gun, I enjoy shooting and the occasional competition, it does work as shown on my AR platform. I can't see it being all that different on my M1, but time will tell.

Thanks for pointing out the counter points to the sling. The more information people have the better.

Whats the major advantage of a stiffer web material? And as far as running a sling on a SG, to most people use the two point to "wrap" their forearm around and pull the gun in?

Or is it a weight thing? I am curious and it sounds like there a lot of folks here with some good advice/experience.

Thanks in advance.

Whats the major advantage of a stiffer web material? And as far as running a sling on a SG, to most people use the two point to "wrap" their forearm around and pull the gun in?

Or is it a weight thing? I am curious and it sounds like there a lot of folks here with some good advice/experience.

Thanks in advance.

As far as stiffness, all I care about is the tendency of the webbing to roll or "cut" into my neck and shoulder. The stiffer it is, the less likely to roll; and the less likely to roll, the less likely it will be to get very uncomfortable. For a heavier firearm, I want stiffer webbing in a sling. But the stiffness is less important with lighter firearms.

For my M4, the sling is not a shooting aid whatsoever. I'm not "snapping in" to the shotgun like I would a rifle; so the sling isn't used to get a more stable shooting platform. The sling is kept on only for retention purposes. Frankly, I go back and forth between letting it hang and keeping it on for transitions. I've found that letting it hang slows me down less than a half second on transition to another firearm, but it is much less restrictive and saves an equal amount of time on weak-side transition.

Sling weight really doesn't matter; it's the weapon's weight and length that affects the type of sling I want to use. A single-point doesn't make sense for my M4 on my frame. The muzzle device would be on the ground if I wasn't standing perfectly stright, and that's not good. So two-point for me. A carbine is another matter. I'm quite fond of single-point slings on my carbine, and find that the two-point configuration on my MS2 only gets used if I'm planning on hands-free carry for more than a couple minutes, or when doing lifting.

Edited by LeoAtrox