Need help choosing RMR mount

Nocturnalnature

I am looking for a quick release, low height mount to mount my Trijicon RMR to the factory M4 rail.

I know the factory Benelli rail doesn't play well with the mount from Larue since the mount doesn't have a full recoil lug, so I am looking for some input from others who are running an RMR on their gun with the factory rail.

Please keep in mind, I have no desire to change the factory rail, so Scalarworks is out.

You're not going to get much lower than the factory QR low-mount.  It's sort-of QR.  Easier than the standard mount.   https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ac32076

Their standard low-mount (non-QR) is a bit lower. https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/rm33

You're really limiting yourself by discounting the Scalarworks.  But hey, that's just me sayin' that.  I'm just some guy in the innerwebz.

Thanks for the replies!

I simply do not like the cluttered sight picture that co witness provides.

I much prefer a slightly higher optic with a quick release in the event of an optic failure.

I have two of the Trijicon quick release mounts and they suck. They will not stay tight with normal hand tightening, and will actually shoot loose in one range session even if torqued to 44 inch pounds (as suggested by their tech).

The biggest obstacle is finding a mount with a full recoil lug so I don't run into the dreaded "Larue vs. M4" issue. 

After shooting thousands of rounds through my M1/M2's with RMR's mounted for 3-gun, shotgun-only competitions, and training (both giving and receiving), I can provide the following advise based on experience.  Quick release of modern optics is overrated.  Not once, in all this time of at least 12-15 years (including the early RMR's that had issues when mounted on handgun slides) I have never had a RMR go down on a shotgun necessitating its quick removal.  I know that's only an example of maybe 5 out of all the mounted RMR's out there but it's still my experience.

Re:  cluttered co-witness sight picture:  If your sight picture is cluttered up when using a co-witnessed RDS, IMHO, you're doing it wrong.  While none of my SG red dots are co-witnessed with irons, they are on some of my rifles.  When actually shooting for a purpose, I don't even notice the irons in my sight picture.  That's because, when shooting with a RDS, your sight should be focused on the target.  The red dot is superimposed on the target because you're shooting with both eyes open (should be, anyway) and not trying to focus on aligning the irons.  The irons just disappear and you're looking at a target with a red dot on it.

Again, that's me. (and how I train others)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the input!

Regarding co witness, I do in fact run co witnessed sights/optics on my rifles due to the higher sight height, which affords a comfortable and natural neck position when acquiring targets.

When it comes to shotguns I find the low height of the iron sights to be rather uncomfortable and unnatural for me, hence wanting a slightly higher mount for the optic and a less cluttered sight picture since it already feels unnatural for me trying to use very low iron sights in the first place.

In regards to quick release mounts, I appreciate your opinion, however I have witnessed red dot failures on several occasions during 3 gun matches at our local club.

Having said that, since you mention you don't co witness your shotguns, what mounts have you had success with when used in conjunction with the stock M4 rail?

The Larue issue is well documented and it appears it could be problematic with any manufacturers mount that didn't utilize a full lug due to the design of the M4 picatinny rail.

I only used the lowest Trijicon mount when I put mine on the M4.  Too high for me.  I shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays so I prefer getting down low when shooting a shotgun, regardless of the type.  I've installed low rails on a couple of M1's and the Trijicon low mount is still a bit too high.  When Scalarworks came out with their first generation RMR mount that included a rail section, I got one of those and surgically removed the rail section and only installed the RMR portion.  Very low, just right for my tastes.  I shoot with standard field-type stocks on all my shotguns.  No pistol grips or collapsible stocks.

M1-RMR 01.JPG

Scalarworks-RMR-M1 - 2.JPG

Edited by truckcop

6 minutes ago, truckcop said:

I only used the lowest Trijicon mount when I put mine on the M4.  Too high for me.  I shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays so I prefer getting down low when shooting a shotgun, regardless of the type.  I've installed low rails on a couple of M1's and the Trijicon low mount is still a bit too high.  When Scalarworks came out with their first generation RMR mount that included a rail section, I got one of those and surgically removed the rail section and only installed the RMR portion.  Very low, just right for my tastes.  I shoot with standard field-type stocks on all my shotguns.  No pistol grips or collapsible stocks.

M1-RMR 01.JPG

Scalarworks-RMR-M1 - 2.JPG

Have you noticed any damage to the lug on the mount, or the M4 rail itself, since the Trijicon low mount doesn't have a full width recoil lug?

Seems it would be susceptible to the same damage as the Larue mount since the recoil lug is almost identical.

Thanks again for the input! I may give this mount a try if you haven't had any issues since this gun is more of a range toy for me and won't see competition.