M1014 rough action

Doge

So I'll keep it short - last week went to the range with three new 2021 manufactured M1014s and noticed the action wasn't very smooth. After shooting, I took the guns apart and noticed the inside rail was really rough cut (probably the root cause of the gritty action).

• For reference, I used to own a 1 of 2500 original M1014 and it was smooth like butter
  • Brought some older M3 Super 90s, a M2, and a custom built M4 and they were all noticeably better despite being shot very little
  • One M1014 was completely factory with nothing changed on it

So anybody else have this issue?

I have a 2021 M1014. As I’ve never previously handled any other M4s, I don’t have a frame of reference. My Franchi Affinity and M2 were much smoother when new (even more so now). I guess I’d say my M1014 is “smooth enough”, definitely doesn’t feel gritty. 

• Upvote 1

I assume you have seen my posts on my bolt being out of spec and causing the grinding/not smooth on my m4?  I also got a m1014, and that one is smooth as butter.  Did you check to make sure the ejector isnt rubbing on the bolt face, like mine was?  It make it seem gritty and not smooth in cycling . . .

2 hours ago, Bolt_308 said:

I assume you have seen my posts on my bolt being out of spec and causing the grinding/not smooth on my m4?  I also got a m1014, and that one is smooth as butter.  Did you check to make sure the ejector isnt rubbing on the bolt face, like mine was?  It make it seem gritty and not smooth in cycling . . .

Yup. My ejector is fine.

My bolts are sorta rough on the entire travel from chamber to end. Maybe I just I need to shoot it a crazy bunch to get the rail smooth.

Shoots great to be honest!? I think I shot like over 2000 shot shells last week between 12 guns. Everything from really old vintage Federal birdshot, to high recoil Black Aces Slugs, full plastic Activ birdshot shells, and everything in between. M4s ran great; my magazine fed shotgun was the only one that had some feeding issues. I'll try to take pictures of the inside of the receiver but kinda tough.

I have all my shotguns greased pretty well, especially my pump shotguns with the forend.