Mag tube from .....

Milspec

Holy heck!  It's off but WTF? 

I started with a butane torch, I know MAPP is better but it's what I had on hand.  I started with a pencil torch some smoke a 1/8" of a turn and full stop.  Then I upped the heat to a full size butane torch, smoke bonanza.  A couple 1/8" here and there, more heat and a full stop.

Then I broke out the heat gun.  Nothing happened except now the entire receiver was toasty, even the rear sight.  I hit it with some Kroil and let it sit for an hour.  Came back with more torch.  Then I couldn't even get an 1/8" turn out of it.  Heat gun again, why?  Desperation I think.  Nothing, it laughed at me.

Finally, back with the full size butane torch and I cooked the hell out of the 5 round tube.  A little more smoke, cranked on it nothing.  At this time I started getting worried about damaging the hand guard retaining plate.  More torch again.  Cranked on it and the tube cracked and stopped. Torched the snot out of it.  Then I put on my Kong costume and finally with a ton of effort started to slowly unscrew it.  I've cooked off plenty of loctite before but this was insane.  Maybe I was being too cautious and didn't give it enough heat from the get go but it felt like the receiver was getting really toasty.  After one episode with the heat gun I could feel heat in the recoil tube.

I think Benelli must have dipped the threads in a pail of red loctite and "Bruno" cranked it on with 75ftlbs of torque.

So unnecessary.......

• Like 1

I bet.  Funny that you mention the recoil tube.  I removed the internals before hand for a couple reasons.  I didn't want to cook the spring and I wanted to clean it out.  That think was filled with so much funk. 

It looks like they goo'ed up the plunger with Aeroshell too.

Edited by Milspec

55 minutes ago, SOCOMguy said:

We will wait until others with experience chime in on this one, but something is very unusual here. Just curious , with what were you gripping the tube? 

Joe B 

Sounds like you were heating the tube as well?  Heating the receiver I heard little clicks as the locktite was separating. But yeah, I’ve only done it once so what do I know. I’m sure results may vary

Edited by Ben elLes
  • Upvote 1

That’s interesting. My 2021 “h2o” came apart in less than 5 minutes with a small butane torch. The magazine tube that is. Very little, if any, smoke. Didn’t need any tools to twist it off. I then installed SOCOMguys steel 7 round tube and used a large amount of vibratite 123 (high temp/hand tool removal). Don’t plan on ever having to take the tube off, so I used way more than I needed too. 

The mag tube on my 1014 came part pretty easy within a few minutes with the heat gun. The recoil tube removal took a bit longer. There was some smoke when heating the lock nut but not bad. Locktite was lighter than I had expected. I had to chuckle afterward because I must have read through SD's procedure a dozen times, studied YouTubes and meditated on it for several weeks to build up the courage to go for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SOCOMguy said:

We will wait until others with experience chime in on this one, but something is very unusual here. Just curious , with what were you gripping the tube? 

Joe B 

I’m was using my hands to grip the tube.  I had nitrile gloves on.  I usually wear them when I’m working on the blasters.

I’m thinking I just didn’t get it got enough the first couple times.  I was concentrating the heat towards the base of the magazine tube while trying to avoid flame on the receiver.

I also had it clamped very lightly in the vice.  I didn’t want to crush or deform it.  I had soft jaws with extra towels for padding.  Maybe not tight enough/too much play in there?

The red Loctite was caked around the threads of the tube and inside the receiver.  Probably a 1/16” band of Loctite was visible.

Edited by Milspec

19 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

The 11703 I just got was the exact same story.  Reasonable heat resulted in a little movement, lots of heat and it would start to turn and then bind up.  Eventually came off and the threads looked like a candy apple.

This exactly.

• Upvote 1

Since we're swapping mag tube stories....when I removed the 5 round tube from my H2O it came off using only a hair dryer to heat. But obviously it had been taken off before when Robar plated the whole gun. it had some kind of thread locker on it but don't know what they used.

Then I installed a FFT 7 round tube and I used a lot of blue loctite. When I again changed out the FFT tube for a CC ti tube I had to use a heat gun but it came off easily with that- a few minutes.

I installed the CC tube without any loctite at all because I find it easier and more accessible to clean the receiver with the tube removed.?

• Upvote 1

I ordered a silicone cook top pad from Amazon for around 5 bucks prior to starting this project and a set of nylon 5.5" vise jaws for around 7 bucks.  I was able to use the little 7" x 7" silicone pad to assist in turning the magazine tube.  About 7-8 minutes with small Benzomatic torch did the trick.  I kept the torch moving around the magazine tube and tested being able to rotate it every minute or two.  It moved a about a quarter of a turn after about 7 or 8 minutes then stopped.  I hit it with the torch again for about 2-3 more minutes and then it slowly rotated off.  The silicone cooktop pad from Amazon made this much easier.  If you try your recoil tube be prepared for about 30-45 straight minutes of heat.  Best of luck! 

• Upvote 1