Benelli M4 Titanium Magazine Cap

RxArms

5 minutes ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

The difference between the titanium and polymer and is 11g and 19g vs aluminum. Those are negligible to me for a big increase in durability; my vote is for titanium.

Titanium is 48

OEM is 37

aluminum 29

so u would be gaining weight with titanium 

I'd focus less on weight savings. You can throw all these mathematical calculated numbers at me, but at the end of the day the differences aren't there. I just took off the mag cap from my M4 and couldn't notice a difference. I would totally pick one up just for the cool factor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I wonder if there would be a way to integrate a light mounting solution into the magazine cap so that the user could mount a light with a muzzle flush weapon light? The main goal being to mount a weapon light flush with the muzzle.

Im doing a lot of brainstorming :)

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2022 at 2:36 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I wonder if there would be a way to integrate a light mounting solution into the magazine cap so that the user could mount a light with a muzzle flush weapon light? The main goal being to mount a weapon light flush with the muzzle.

SBS and IWC. 

1647454469985602372739777116344.thumb.jpg.40a8b243266228efe5821d298d394690.jpg16474545818091580519990903897592.thumb.jpg.dd11f6a3cd3530066e03fa15c6ddd88e.jpg

I took these to showcase the effects. Last photo is where left tube would be with binos, and a 14 wont even hardly see it if worn over dominant eye once the gun is up. Taken on viz, ir is same pattern/spill. Its a compromise between fouling the lens, and light pollution with NODs, for me. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

SBS and IWC. 

1647454469985602372739777116344.thumb.jpg.40a8b243266228efe5821d298d394690.jpg16474545818091580519990903897592.thumb.jpg.dd11f6a3cd3530066e03fa15c6ddd88e.jpg

I took these to showcase the effects. Last photo is where left tube would be with binos, and a 14 wont even hardly see it if worn over dominant eye once the gun is up. Taken on viz, ir is same pattern/spill. Its a compromise between fouling the lens, and light pollution with NODs, for me. 

We're not all cool enough to have the 14" entry model!

With the 18.5, it just sucks. I think my IR head shows up tomorrow to test it with. I  have my NP3 plated model with the IWC mount still, so it'll be a quick transfer between the two.

8 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

We're not all cool enough to have the 14" entry model!

With the 18.5, it just sucks. I think my IR head shows up tomorrow to test it with. I  have my NP3 plated model with the IWC mount still, so it'll be a quick transfer between the two.

With the IR head it's annoying but it's not really any worse than what you get off of a can on an SBR with it.

Point being, if you keep the gun in one position for too long while "looking over the barrel" with the light on, you will get some transient ghosting in your PVS14 tube that will go away after a few minutes of use, but it's not going to damage it unless you were to sit in position for a "long" period of time. Chalk it up to "looking at a street light" type exposure, but not as bad since it's very indirect. It especially isn't bad behind the gun as you are using it.  The main "damage" is that it can cause the ABC to kick in and "dim" the tube a hair and you may lose some detail through your optic due to this. Just have to test it and find out.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, StreetSweeper56 said:

So, what kind of timeline are you looking at for these Robb? (tapping fingers)

Titanium prices are volatile right now, a quote this week is 10% more than last week.

with all this said, I can make these for 118 USD each plus shipping (12-15 bucks).

a reminder that the lines on the tube cap will be milled INTO the cap rather than raised.  

some feedback on price would be welcome before I make a final decision.

thanks!

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, RxArms said:

Titanium prices are volatile right now, a quote this week is 10% more than last week.

with all this said, I can make these for 118 USD each plus shipping (12-15 bucks).

a reminder that the lines on the tube cap will be milled INTO the cap rather than raised.  

some feedback on price would be welcome before I make a final decision.

thanks!

Feedback? Ok! $118 each + shipping? Deal! I'll take 2, that's a reasonable price to replace a plastic part that holds the WHOLE freakin' gun together! No ribs is fine by me as well, I like unique and just bare titanium, it's a pleasant color. Any ballpark estimate on delivery time?

On 3/12/2022 at 2:36 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I'd prefer a laser. User's choice of green or IR. Red is kindof played out. An IR laser in the snout cap would be worth losing 1 round of ammo over, for me anyway.

I would want something 810g/IPX8 or at least IPX7 certified and properly made. Yes this would cost. 

Edited by Unobtanium

The price point is alright for the titanium cap.

Tested out the Modlite IR940 lamp head last night. It performed surprisingly poor. So poor that I've emailed Modlite to see if the level of performance is typical or if something is wrong with the unit. It would barely illuminate a target at 40 feet.

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

The price point is alright for the titanium cap.

Tested out the Modlite IR940 lamp head last night. It performed surprisingly poor. So poor that I've emailed Modlite to see if the level of performance is typical or if something is wrong with the unit. It would barely illuminate a target at 40 feet.

940nm be like that. You have a spicy 14, but l3 filmless taps out at around 1000nm near completely. 

Hmm, even this seems excessively low. I also saw the lamp head flare up inside next to the LED in the visible spectrum during the daytime when pushing the activation button for a few seconds. Then it went out and hasn't repeated it. If that's the best it can do, it'll be going back. I'll try it again once it gets dark before the moon comes up.

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Hmm, even this seems excessively low. I also saw the lamp head flare up inside next to the LED in the visible spectrum during the daytime when pushing the activation button for a few seconds. Then it went out and hasn't repeated it. If that's the best it can do, it'll be going back. I'll try it again once it gets dark before the moon comes up.

M300v is going to produce much more detectable light than ML 940. Keep in mind...the ML is pumping out a TON of light...so dont look at it!!!! Its just in the range beyond what your intensifier sees. It can still cause mechanical and biological harm just like it was a modlite OKW.

• Upvote 1

Did more tests last night with 100% batteries. Performance sucks. About the only thing it would be good for is you need it inside standard size rooms.  So it's pretty much useless. I'll be returning it. Maybe I'm spoiled using the MAWL and having the ability to put a beam out to 500 yards if needed and the ability to push thru photonic barriers with ease. Plus having its three output levels helps a lot for close in work, or target detection.

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Did more tests last night with 100% batteries. Performance sucks. About the only thing it would be good for is you need it inside standard size rooms.  So it's pretty much useless. I'll be returning it. Maybe I'm spoiled using the MAWL and having the ability to put a beam out to 500 yards if needed and the ability to push thru photonic barriers with ease. Plus having its three output levels helps a lot for close in work, or target detection.

The 940 heads are about reduction of signature, not performance with common intensifier tubes. If you were to step into a SWIR platform it may be nuts though, not sure.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:20 PM, StreetSweeper56 said:

Feedback? Ok! $118 each + shipping? Deal! I'll take 2, that's a reasonable price to replace a plastic part that holds the WHOLE freakin' gun together! No ribs is fine by me as well, I like unique and just bare titanium, it's a pleasant color. Any ballpark estimate on delivery time?

Was about to start production and titanium prices went up 30% for me… at this time I cannot move forward on it.  Perhaps in the future.  If you have signed up i will alert you if I decide to produce it.

51 minutes ago, RxArms said:

Was about to start production and titanium prices went up 30% for me… at this time I cannot move forward on it.  Perhaps in the future.  If you have signed up i will alert you if I decide to produce it.

Understandable, yes I am signed up. I am in a bellwether occupation and things are going to skyrocket very soon, they have to. FJB & FJT 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 10:35 PM, RxArms said:

Why not go with 2055/2099 or 7000 series aluminum? Much easier to machine, lighter, and nearly as strong as titanium. At the very least, much tougher than factory FRN. 

• Upvote 2