Opinions on SBEII

wvz71

I've shot 3.5" loads out an 870 and my new SBEII. They definitely get your attention. I do agree with the theory/opinion that shooting at a live target reduces the perceived recoil. Why is this? I don't know. Inversely, shooting at a paper target with turkey loads or slugs (what evil genius invented 3" slugs, anyway?) seems to magnifiy recoil, to me anyway. The high brass field loads kicked a lot less out of the SBEII than the 870 and I was able to re-acquire the target quicker. In my opinion, 3.5" shells are going thump you pretty good no matter what gun you are shooting. But, if you are killing ducks, who cares?

Sometimes after I've found a good load/choke combo,I like to keep shooting at paper targets.I put on my turkey vest and put in a mouth call and walk around my range(private,no one else uses it) and just sit down and pretend I'm calling a live bird.I'll get in field positions and shoot from unknown distances.Between trees,through foliage,etc. I notice the recoil less,because I'm concentrating on a good shot.The only thing missing is the gobble and the feather cloud! It's quite fun,try it out sometime.

Congrats on an excellent purchase.

I think most of the break in recommendations are to shoot several boxes of "heavier" loads through the gun. Some go as far as to use turkey loads but that might get a little expensive. 3 1/2" steel loads or some of the heavier lead loads would be fine. Kent Ultimates (if they're available in your area) go as high as an ounce and a half of lead in a 2 3/4" shell and they're relatively low cost.

As far as the rear sight I'll assume you mean the rear bead and say no, not adjustable. When your shooting at a moving target you should be concentrating on the bird not the beads. With time and practice you won't even notice them there. My front bead fell off last summer while shooting clays and I didn't notice it until after I got home. Went through this past hunting season without it too. However, I will replace it before turkey season.

Alright thank you, I will be sure to shoot some heavier loads out of it. In regards to the adjusting, I was just flipping through the manual and it had a figure showing how to adjust the "back-sight". I didn't know what that meant so I figured I'd ask.

Tell us how you like it after you shoot it. I'm interested to know what you think of the feel, the pattern, and the kick. I was chuckling when I was reading about the kick. Especially when tucker said, "she's a kicker".

I love mine...

So I take it that I'm in for a schock in regards to the recoil, especially during the break-in process with 3.5" turkey loads? haha

Took my gun out to the shooting range today. To break it in I shot a box of 3" Remington Premier High-Velocity Magnum copper plated turkey loads. I didn't really know what to expect and well, it pretty much blew my shoulder off haha. After that I went to the skeet and trap shooting area and shot 2.75" 8's and it was much much better. I love the gun. It is so smooth. The sights are going to take some getting used to but I think I'll be ok.

I've only run across a handfull of guys who tried a Benelli and didn't love them.....they were mostly Beretta guys, too! Just got too used to the soft shooting gas systems I guess???

Like Spur said "Benelli's Rock"..........

Good Luck with the new 'nelli and kill some turkeys with it this spring!

I guess I'll be the fly in the soup. I think that Benelli's are great guns but at half the price. I think that they are WAY overpriced. If you try to trade them for something else get ready for a reality shock. I like my LH SBE2 but I have to admit that I shoot my old LH Remington 11/87 better. I also feel that Remington's fit me better and I have never had any problems with my 11/87 functioning. Just my opinion...Randy

If you trade ANY LH weapon you will take it on the chin. If you trade ANY weapon you will take it on the chin. I have not seen a 11/87 that worked correctly. That being said you are allowed to have your opinion and are allowed to be happy w/ Remington. The mass of posts will speak for itself. Enjoy your 11/87 & I my SBE's.

funny thing about shotguns and people.....some people even like mossbergs and some mossbergs might even fit some people better! we can all respect that....i've had a chance to shoot a lot of different shotguns and i honestly like sxs guns, most of them seem to fit me like a glove and i shoot well with them but a lot of guys have the opposite feeling toward them...hate'em! that's what makes the shotgun sports world so interesting, everybody can shoot what they want or can afford....if i had the money to burn i'd drop a little coin on a pair of Boss sxs bird guns but that aint going to happen in my lifetime!

An SBE2, just like a Boss, isn't for everybody....so shoot what you like (or can afford).

I have a Remington 11-87, special filed in 20 guage. Love the English stock. BUT, when I first purchased it, their were 2 major flaws in the magazine tube. The first was a number of burrs just inside the entrance and chewing up the plastic magazine plug. Sometimes you couldn't even load shells because the plug was stuck. Some careful filing with miniature files took care of that. The second problem was a very visible dent in the tube about 3 inches down. That was much more difficult to polish out with steel wool and a hugh speed drill. When I received this shotgun, my initial reaction was, "what happened to quality control". With the upland bird season just a couple of weeks away, I fixed the shotgun myself. It has worked perfectly ever since. I send Remington an unpleasent letter with my complaints and observations. Several months later I received a new orange magazine plug in a small envelope. No explanation or apology, just the plug.

A few years ago, I purchase a short stock 20 guage Monty (AKA the Quail killer), and now the Remington comes out of the safe, maybe once a season. If Benelli comes out with a straight style English stock on their little Monty's, my Remington is doomed to the gun safe.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

I'm not trying to raise any tail feathers but OldFlicks comment about "never seen an 11/87 work correctly" is hogwash. For about 10 years I was a self professed "gun nut" I can honestly say that I bought/sold/traded an average of 2 guns a month for 10 years (figure out the math yourself). I was never content with any firearm regardless of manufacturer. There are very few shotguns/rifles/hand guns that I did not own/borrow/use over this time period (except the very high end English stuff). I have had 4 Benelli SBE's of different vintage, 2 M 90's and 1 Monte. I felt that the earlier SBE's (H&K importation) were of higher quality that my newest (JMO). I bought my LH SBE 2 in Feb. of last year. I have a difficult time in removing the forearm from the mag. tube. I have also has issues with light primer strikes as I have posted earlier. The Benelli design has some great points but it also has weaknesses. If you sit the gun down on the recoil pad a little roughly the bolt can come back a little and not fire when needed. Initially I had a difficult time reinstalling my trigger group (had to use a rubber mallet to get it back in place). The synthetic material on my comb doesn't fit in the stock perfectly. Long story short...there is no perfect firearm. I like my SBE2 and use it on crappy days and when I feel the need for the 3.5 inch capability. My 11/87 has NEVER let me down. It also is not a perfect gun. It has it's strength and weaknesses too. I'm a clean fanatic w/ firearms and perhaps that has something to do with my 11/87's record. A number of my Wis. hunting buddies all shoot 1100/11-87's and have not had any problems. To each their own I guess.

FIB, I have never seen an 11/87 work correctly is a fact. They rest of you statement is your opinion, my previous sentence is a statement. I have been around a bird hunting preserve for over 20 years and the owner hates to see a 11/87 come out of the case. I also have had a 1100 that the mechanics worked well, still did not like gun. As I said in last post, enjoy your gun/guns.

FIB, i hear what you are saying about "no perfect" guns.......i find several reasons to make changes on every gun i purchase. i have never been a big Remington shotgun fan, Remington guns always felt too heavy and didn't fit me well....

when i started shooting competitively (sporting clays) i started out shooting a "field grade" Ithaca Model 51 because the gun fit me and was very reliable. i watched a lot of guys my first year on the tournament trail and i quickly noticed ALL those auto-loader Beretta guns and they were ALWAYS winning, beating out a lot of O/U's, too......i shot dozens of shoots all over the USA that first year and only saw one Remington 1100 in all the competitions i was shooting. The one and only 1100 was carried by a guy who also carried a bag full of spare parts and when i asked him why he had all those parts he said "my Remington is always breaking down"!!! He continued to tell me how he could afford to shoot anything he liked but he loved Remington 1100's and just couldn't switch to an "Italian" made shotgun. He was a very good shooter but due to malfunctions he rarely placed higher than 5th place in most events.

i bought a used Beretta 390 before the next season and improved my shooting by increasing my practice with that gun but i never shot better with the Beretta than the old Ithaca M51....a few years later i tried a Benelli Sport and sold that Benelli so fast the barrel was still warm....i hated it for sporting clays!

later that same year I went on a dove hunt to argentina with some guys and they were shooting Black Eagles & M1's, even the guides down there told me the Benelli shotguns were the only guns that NEVER failed in the dove fields and let me tell you we shot thousands of rounds down there! when i returned home i bought a M1Super90 in 20 ga for dove hunting and it has been a great gun ever since! i own several benelli's, a few beretta's and a few browning's.......maybe i just like guns that begin with the letter "B"?!?!

are benelli's over priced? maybe, but so are BMW's if you compare them to Honda's....they are both cars but they are worlds apart in my eyes.....i feel the same way about my "Italian" shotguns!