Ruger SR-556

Super33

I know it's not a Benelli but you guys are gun guys so I'm gonna ask here anyway.

I've been researching rifles, I plan on making a purchase soon and I'm almost there. I don't want your typical AR-15 even though I really like them because of the high maintenance requirement that comes along with it. So for a while I was leaning towards an AK-47. Aggiephil got me looking at the Arsenal AKs and I almost went ahead on the SGL-21 but I decided to keep looking. That's when I came across the Ruger SR-556. It seems like it's what I want because I like AR-15s and it uses a piston system rather than just a gas system. The piston keeps the bolt area cleaner and makes for a more reliable weapon. Plus it's adjustable so I can keep the gun functioning in dirty conditions where the standard AR might fail.

Does anybody have any thoughts on these Rugers? Any experience with them? I've pretty much narrowed it down to this gun.

Also, since I'm new to rifles I'm wondering what's the best grain to use for different applications with the 5.56x45/.223 ammo. :)

I know it's not a Benelli but you guys are gun guys so I'm gonna ask here anyway.

I've been researching rifles, I plan on making a purchase soon and I'm almost there. I don't want your typical AR-15 even though I really like them because of the high maintenance requirement that comes along with it. So for a while I was leaning towards an AK-47. Aggiephil got me looking at the Arsenal AKs and I almost went ahead on the SGL-21 but I decided to keep looking. That's when I came across the Ruger SR-556. It seems like it's what I want because I like AR-15s and it uses a piston system rather than just a gas system. The piston keeps the bolt area cleaner and makes for a more reliable weapon. Plus it's adjustable so I can keep the gun functioning in dirty conditions where the standard AR might fail.

Does anybody have any thoughts on these Rugers? Any experience with them? I've pretty much narrowed it down to this gun.

Also, since I'm new to rifles I'm wondering what's the best grain to use for different applications with the 5.56x45/.223 ammo. :)

Not to take anything away from the SR556, but don't give up on the AK :)

Look into a Krebs.

they look nice. but I dont consider my non piston AR to be high maintenence. its pretty easy to clean. as far as reliabliltiy I dont plan on shooting it 10,000 rounds without cleaning which may be the edge of the piston.

Not saying it's hard to clean, but from what I've heard numerous times it doesn't take much for them to get dirty enough to start having reliability issues. This could be from foreign material like dirt, sand or dust and not just a lot of shooting without cleaning. My number one concern for what I'm about to buy is reliability. I really love ARs and I really want one. I also love AKs but I don't think they feel as good or are as user friendly as an AR but of course the reliability is there with an AK. I'm hoping I found the middle ground with the Ruger SR556. The one thing I don't like about it so far is that it's a relatively new design and it doesn't have enough time under it's belt to prove itself as I would like.

Not saying it's hard to clean, but from what I've heard numerous times it doesn't take much for them to get dirty enough to start having reliability issues. This could be from foreign material like dirt, sand or dust and not just a lot of shooting without cleaning. My number one concern for what I'm about to buy is reliability. I really love ARs and I really want one. I also love AKs but I don't think they feel as good or are as user friendly as an AR but of course the reliability is there with an AK. I'm hoping I found the middle ground with the Ruger SR556. The one thing I don't like about it so far is that it's a relatively new design and it doesn't have enough time under it's belt to prove itself as I would like.

It takes more than you could probably shoot in a day to start experiencing malfunctions from being dirty. Don't be afraid of gas driven systems, I have a colt and been shooting colts in my day job for several years, basic cleaning will keep the lead flying smoothly. Gas pistons are pretty nice though, tough choice for you. My advice, buy one of each!

"Relatively new design" that "system" has been around for years. The piston has been used in many designs, three that come to mind immediately, SKS, AK-47, FN-FAL. Some of the most dependable, and widely used arms in the world. On the AR-15/M-16 system, in training (Law Enforecement & Military) we have trained many officers daily, with thousands of rounds fired (in a single day)without cleaning, without a single failure. For home defense use, and practice you should never see enough firing to get it "dirty" enough to cause a failure. IF you use the proper ammo.:)

mine has never missed a beat. not saying a piston isnt superior. but you need to watch the u-tubes of the AR's and AK's being put in sand and mud and then fired.

I'm not looking for something that I can shoot all day long and not have to clean until bedtime. I'm looking for something that I could potentially shoot day after day and crawl in the mud and get dirty and not even consider cleaning it and it'll keep shooting. Like the AK. Anybody out there that says an AR is as reliable as an AK is having some sort of AR wet dream. I'm not saying an AR isn't reliable, I'm just saying it isn't reliable enough for me. So why don't I want an AK? Even though I'm attracted to the AK reliability I'm also attracted to the ergonomics of the AR. I do know the piston system has been around a while as was mentioned but the SR556 hasn't. It's still a relatively new gun. I've been searching the net for some bad reviews of the Ruger and haven't been able to find any.

As far as the AR shooting the right ammo and all that, I'm really liking the adjustability of the Ruger and that it can adapt to reliably shoot whatever I feed it.

5.56 vs. 7.62 is aples and oranges (why would they censor aples?). I like them both for different reasons but that's a whole other thread.

I'm also a 1911 guy. :) I was considering a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown but not sure I'll be able to afford one by the time I'm done with the rifle project.

Thanks for the helpful posts. I really think the Ruger is the best of both worlds when it comes to what I want in a rifle.

I'd opt for the LMT piston operated Ar15 over the Ruger. Or maybe a FN SCAR. I don't bother cleaning my LMT. There is no point. It always works regardless. It doesn't get that dirty anyway.

I was checking out the SCAR at the local gunshop and I really couldn't get into it. Just looked up the LMT though and it deserves some attention, thanks for the heads up!

I'm not looking for something that I can shoot all day long and not have to clean until bedtime. I'm looking for something that I could potentially shoot day after day and crawl in the mud and get dirty and not even consider cleaning it and it'll keep shooting. Like the AK. Anybody out there that says an AR is as reliable as an AK is having some sort of AR wet dream. I'm not saying an AR isn't reliable, I'm just saying it isn't reliable enough for me. So why don't I want an AK? Even though I'm attracted to the AK reliability I'm also attracted to the ergonomics of the AR. I do know the piston system has been around a while as was mentioned but the SR556 hasn't. It's still a relatively new gun. I've been searching the net for some bad reviews of the Ruger and haven't been able to find any.

As far as the AR shooting the right ammo and all that, I'm really liking the adjustability of the Ruger and that it can adapt to reliably shoot whatever I feed it.

5.56 vs. 7.62 is aples and oranges (why would they censor aples?). I like them both for different reasons but that's a whole other thread.

I'm also a 1911 guy. :) I was considering a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown but not sure I'll be able to afford one by the time I'm done with the rifle project.

Thanks for the helpful posts. I really think the Ruger is the best of both worlds when it comes to what I want in a rifle.

Make sure you post us some pics when you have it all together.

You'll like the MRP. You can get a Spikes Tactical conversion kit and shoot 22lr with a proper twist barrel. Pop the two bolts, and swap the barrels. Drop in the dedicated bolt carrier. Done.

Blast away for 3 cents a round. Keep all your accessories and optics on the same weapon. Ballistics in 22lr match 223 within 75 yards. 26 round magazines are typical. 20 bucks each.

Blow through a 1000 rounds and cost you a princely sum of about 45 bucks.

Here is mine. I've done some other work since this photo though. I'm looking at a 45 degree selector on my desk right now from Battle Arms. I have to void my warranty later tonight.

I'm in the process of going SBR too. Going the NFA Trust route.

I had my barrels reprofiled as light as possible. If I were you, I'd watch gunbroker. You can get an upper for about 1200 - 1300. Just make sure you're looking at the piston models rather than the gas op ones. Then build the rifle up how you want it. Get a Spikes Biohazard or Tactical Innovations billet lower.

In .223

4602557761_437207c088_b.jpg

In 22lr

4602557979_630bcfc030_b.jpg