New Project.

Unobtanium

• 3 months later...
I take your failure to respond to my inquiry is in fact a "Yes, I got rid of my totally awesome SD shotty and got a tacticool toy for punching paper and shooting poodles."

Useful against more than a poodle:

(impact @ 3,000fps+ form 14.5" barrel at 25 yards, this fired from 16" barrel. Avg. expanded diameter (min+max/2) diameter 0.4")

f4r2go.jpg

Yeah, if you 'tweak' the mouse caliber with specialty ammo you can get it to perform at close ranges, HOWEVER RKIs know better and stick with 7.62 for serious social work that can potentially stretch into some distance. Varmint rounds are for dreamers and armchair warriors who've never been on the two way range. (Flame away) Additionally, the direct gas impingement 'Mattel' platform has established itself as one of the most unreliable 'military' rifles in the history of modern warfare. (I got to know the fellow who was hired by a certain 'company' in Virginia to be the armorer for the extremely lazy and undisciplined Contras - the ULTIMATE jungle torture test of AKs, FALs, G3s, M-16s, and M-14s side by side in the real world - so I was fortunate enough to get clued in [and FWIW under those extreme conditions the CETME/G3 faired even worse than the M-16s, which is hard to grasp for some].)

"Son, when you really need it, there's no such thing as 'too much gun'." --Audie Murphy to a youngster in a gun shop when the 12 y.o. exclaimed "That's too much gun!" when checking out a Model 29 in the display case

Yeah, if you 'tweak' the mouse caliber with specialty ammo you can get it to perform at close ranges, HOWEVER RKIs know better and stick with 7.62 for serious social work that can potentially stretch into some distance. Varmint rounds are for dreamers and armchair warriors who've never been on the two way range. (Flame away) Additionally, the direct gas impingement 'Mattel' platform has established itself as one of the most unreliable 'military' rifles in the history of modern warfare. (I got to know the fellow who was hired by a certain 'company' in Virginia to be the armorer for the extremely lazy and undisciplined Contras - the ULTIMATE jungle torture test of AKs, FALs, G3s, M-16s, and M-14s side by side in the real world - so I was fortunate enough to get clued in [and FWIW under those extreme conditions the CETME/G3 faired even worse than the M-16s, which is hard to grasp for some].)

"Son, when you really need it, there's no such thing as 'too much gun'." --Audie Murphy to a youngster in a gun shop when the 12 y.o. exclaimed "That's too much gun!" when checking out a Model 29 in the display case

Terminal Performance: Poor reputation is due to M193 and M855 relying on yaw/fragmentation to disrupt tissue. They are also very poor barrier penetrators.

TSX, MK318, etc. all do away with these problems and make the 5.56 effective well past 300 yards. Military FMJ ammunition is a poor measure of efficacy. Noone would dream of using 9mm FMJ, for example, in their carry weapon.

Reliability: http://www.slip2000.com/patrogers15000.html

Edited by Unobtanium

If you want to delude yourself that is certainly your prerogative. Knock yourself out. lol

As for myself I put reliability and effectiveness under ALL circumstances (meaning whatever ammo is available/handy immediately and in desperate/emergency situations where a good cleaning and maintenance may go neglected for weeks, and under such circumstances the FAL and the AK are head and shoulders far above everything else with respect to semi-auto MBRs - literally in a class by themselves*) above 'precision', fun**, ergonomics, and tacticool.

*that said, I switched from a FAL platform to a M1A platform in favor of ergonomics and consistent precision

**no doubt about it, the AR platform is fun

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

If you want to delude yourself that is certainly your prerogative. Knock yourself out. lol

As for myself I put reliability and effectiveness under ALL circumstances (meaning whatever ammo is available/handy immediately and in desperate/emergency situations where a good cleaning and maintenance may go neglected for weeks, and under such circumstances the FAL and the AK are head and shoulders far above everything else with respect to semi-auto MBRs - literally in a class by themselves*) above 'precision', fun**, ergonomics, and tacticool.

*that said, I switched from a FAL platform to a M1A platform in favor of ergonomics and consistent precision

**no doubt about it, the AR platform is fun

89% of the guys in the sand-box are pleased with their M4 carbines. Not bad when you can get 89% of any group to agree on something.

Check this out: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ee6_1312170216&comments=1

As to the 5.56x45 being effective, it is very much so when the correct ammunition is used. just like a 9mm or .45. Sucks with ball, use a good hollowpoint and it's nasty. Why do you feel the 5.56 is ineffective? Do you have facts to back this up, or are you relying on anecdotal evidence, or are you citing complaints about M193 and M855?

Using proper ammo, plenty of deer and hogs have been cleanly killed with the .223/5.56. I don't see a person being much more hardy than a 200# boar.

If you want to use the "whatever is available" argument, I take it that you are implying TSHTF and you are grabbing what you can grab. In that case, you are much more likely to stumble across .223 or 5.56 than you are any of the AK chambered rounds here in America, due to what local LE carries. I would think ANY ammo is superior to NO ammo. However, if neither is to be found, more 5.56 can be carried than 7.62x39, all things being equal. I also do not know of a commercially loaded source of 7.62x39 that is as effective as 5.56 TSX or MK318 MOD 0 SOST.

I suppose I am asking: Quantify your detraction from the platform. De-bunk the supposed "propaganda" I have bought into. I went round and round with MD Roberts on the issue, and he did state that the 12ga round with #1 buckshot would destroy more tissue in a single blast. However, what about light body-armor? What about follow-up shots/mag capacity? What about barriers of ANY kind more substantial than clothing(slug only there, I shot enough stuff with buckshot to know it is a VERY poor barier penetrator. 000 Buck barely able to go through a good solid 2x6.)? The AR platform has some real advantages over the M4S90.

I would further state that parts are more likely to be found for the M4 than for the AK/FAL in a real SHTF situation, and if NOT in that situation, all these other points are moot as well for the most part.

You yourself switched to the M1A. You are aware that commercial loads of many flavor will bend that OP rod, yes? So what you are saying is that you did indeed choose a system that has ammunition limitations, in this case so severe that it will not even accept all rounds that can chamber in it. Further, you cited accuracy/ergo as your reason. The AR has it in spades. It is also a lot easier to maintain than the M1A because as all that needs doing is a liberal lubing of the BCG when it's dry. Wipe it off and it's G2G. Obviously not for a white-glove inspection, but clean with a rag and spray/wipe with CLP or other suitable lube will keep you running for a Loooooonnnnngggg time.

Another point is that I have YET to see a good suppressor for the piston guns mentioned. The AR platform is wonderfully easy to suppress and does great suppressed. Mine, especially (pix will make clear why :) later on )

Edited by Unobtanium

I wanted to say a bit more of my piece on terminal ballistics.

Short of military application, we don't have a whole lot of review for this. Since you are disapproving of the terminal ballistics of the 5.56, do you have any resource you would like to cite not using M193, M855, or an improper projectile (BST's to shoot through glass, etc.)?

I have what I have, and yes I am defending an emotional as well as monetary investment, but I do truly believe that with proper barrier-blind ammo the 5.56 is very adequate out to 3-400 yards from a carbine, which is the intended purpose of this weapon.

I picked the AR platform because it is superior to suppress. Suppressed AK's really don't work so hot in the real world it seems. They meter pretty high. With the 6.8, 300blk, etc. I was worried about ammo as you noted. No ammo

Edited by Unobtanium

You are aware that commercial loads of many flavor will bend that OP rod, yes?

Wrong. Bent op rods are the result of fast burning powders, particularly from reloads. Op rods don't get bent using mil-spec ammo.

Didn't mean to rain on you parade Uno. Enjoy your tacticool toy.

JAM.jpg

And FWIW, the facts I rely on are historical facts, facts that cannot be changed. The historical fact of the matter is that in the jungles of Honduras the M-16s were consistently unreliable while the FALs, AKs, and M-14s were consistently reliable under the most extreme conditions of abuse and neglect (no cleaning or maintenance/lubing) with the lazy and undisciplined Contras.

"If I had to go to...an unknown planet, and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When western civilization melts down, I want an AK." --Richard Venola, Editor, Combat Arms

[video=youtube;bHao3TN0C-8]