BLAM4 Mount Review

StrangerDanger

As some of you know, I'm not too financially biased towards my purchases when it comes to giving a real world opinion regarding a product.

A few months ago, I saw the BLAM4 mount mentioned here on the Benelli site. The company was selling the item through Brownells ... but it had been backordered for a while. Last week, thanks to another member here, I discovered that they were back in stock.

Defining a goal. As in BD or Business Development, you should have a goal in mind for everything you approach. My goals were quite simple;

1. Add a weapon light to a Benelli M4 with the least amount of weight.

2. Maintain an applicable activation method.

3. Retain legacy features such as sling mounting options and the use of a carriercomp top receiver rail.

4. Ergonomics should not suffer.

5. Minimize snag hazards.

6. Continue to use QD sling mounts fore and aft.

I moved from a SideArmor rail assembly to a Surefire M80 method due to weight constraints, snag hazards and some ergonomic issues. The top rail would crowd my hand on the forearm. The SideArmor used the top rail of the receiver to mount to the weapon. The rail height was higher than the factory specifications and interfered with cheek weld. Side mounted accessories protruded from the weapon significantly. Mounted weapon lights presented a snag hazard and were often subject to impacts.

The M80 was significantly lighter in weight and allowed for the use of the carriercomp top rail. With modifications to the rail, a low profile method of attaching the weapon light was an option. It also counted towards 922® parts compliance. The ergonomics of the M80 were the primary failing. Even with low profile LaRue Index Clips, the rail felt large in the hand. Each time of use, I was longing for the ergonomics of the factory handguard. The weight was still more than stock. The use of the rail with covers probably added about half a pound over stock weight.

This brings us back around to the BLAM4. It is a very simple device. It mounts in place of the factory front sling loop. It's a piece of bent steel with a Magpul MOE picatinny segment attached. The question was, how to attach a sling and a weapon light on the left side of the weapon so that I can continue to use my thumb to activate the momentary/constant on switch of a Surefire M600c on such a short rail segment?

The BLAM4 allowed me to use the factory handguards. This was a huge boost in ergonomics. The weight penalty was less than the Surefire M80. I'm looking at a hit of about 3 ounces rather than 6. The weapon light is mounted further forward than I could manage on the M80. This allows me to hold the weapon further forward and reduce the amount of barrel shadowing when using the weapon light.

I opted to reverse the BLAM4 so the rail section faces forward rather than aft. This pushes my light further forward and puts my front sling point out further. This helps avoid interference with my support hand.

I do have some dislikes though. The rail segment isn't long enough. My QD mount is only held on by the biting tension of the mount, rather than a cross bolt because there isn't enough rail real estate. One more segment would have made everything work perfectly. Cosmetically, the unit is ugly compared to the full rail systems available. However, when it comes down to it, I couldn't care any less about how it looks. The only thing I care about is having a weapon light attached with the least amount of weight. It doesn't hurt that the device costs significantly less than other options.

Placement of the light feels really good. It's out of the way but easy to access with your support hand. Once I play with it a little more and decide to keep it, I'll order a set of FFT factory reproduction handguards to pay my dues to the 922® thieves.

055.jpg

050.jpg

HeyProfessor

As usual GREAT review. Mine arrived today and I also reversed the BLAM4, but when I control the light switch the BLAM4 and light rocks. Are you experiencing mucho movement when using the light controls?

Since papPap had to spend the day babysitting my 2 year old granddaughter, I am dragging and heading off to bed. Will reinstall tomorrow the opposite way for a test in am.

Edit: This morning, I reversed the BLAM4 with same results. When simulating moving from cover to cover (chair to chair) the sound of the light flopping is friggin annoying. With tension on the sling, it doesn't flop.

Edited by crofton

• 3 weeks later...

2nd week of playing with the BLAM4: solved the flopping issue with a little superglue to secure the BLAM4 to the barrel. Recommend the following action on the rail, note: one screw with two pegs, use red loctite for the screw and pegs.

Liked the professor aka strangerDanger idea of the QD MOUNT therefore, I modified the BLAM4 mount. Forgot to take a before picture, therefore I borrowed a picture from the professors # 2 post on the review of the mount.

Going to order Magpul 5005 Moe 5 slot rail ($4.00) and see if I can adapt to the BLAM4 frame.

borrowed picture from post # 2

http://047.jpg

Following pictures are of my modified BLAM4, still needs precision filing, but wanted to share the modification:

http://003-8.jpg

Edited by crofton

Do all the MOE rails have those little black pegs?

Magpul states: All hardware necessary for attachment directly to integral mounting slots on MOE Hand Guards is included. Yesterday I emailed Magpul and asked specifically what hardware is necessary?

The issue with the 5 slot is C to C is 1.5" where as the BLAM is 3/4" C to C. For less than $10 at least I can experiment.

Happy New Year's to you and your love ones. Better cut holes in your pants pocket, the government will be reaching deeper to take more of our monies.

Hey StrangerDanger!

It's been interesting to see the changes your M4 configurations have gone through the past few years. I'm finding myself wanting to move in the same direction and strip off any superfluous weight. I'm losing the Sidearmor and remote switch and I like the idea of dropping the Surefire forearm and going back to factory grip (with Kip's hammer of course for 922r :D) but do want to keep a light that I can manipulate easily, I just got a Surefire X300 for my new HK USP 45 so I'm going to play a little with that but may end up going with the Scout. What do you think of the KZ that Sukoi_fan posted? Would that do what your trying to achieve here with only minimal weight difference?

Later,

Hookster :)

Edited by Hookster

The KZ is a magazine clamp, so you'd need tools to disassemble the weapon. Why they didn't make it so it clamped to the rear barrel hanger, I don't know.

I'd try to shim the mount if it is still moving front to back. Even if it was just a dried thin layer of JB weld on the BLAM4 where the snap ring makes contact. You could then sand the JB weld as needed to make the snap ring an interference fit. Same applies if it is rocking side to side. Fill the area where the BLAM4 indexes against the barrel. Then sand it down until it fits. It doesn't have to be perfect. Any contact will eliminate most of the movement.

The mount is ugly compared to the Surefire M80. It weighs a lot less. Allows for the ergonomics of the factory or FTT handguards. Cheaper than most rail options. Placement of my light activation button is better than it was on the M80. It's further forward. Allows for the weapon to be disassembled without tools. I still believe there is room for improvement though.

Hey Hooker, it's been a while.

Certainly a lot of changes to mine in the past year. Cutting down on weight has been my latest drive. It's not that the weapon is too heavy to wield, it's just faster to use when it weighs less when moving from target to target. This is the primary reason competition and three gunners opt for the M2 over the M4 -- it weights less.

I like to stay away from aftermarket parts that make a tool-less design need tools to disassemble. For that reason, I'd avoid magazine clamps and stocks that require tools to remove.

The Surefire rail and the offset mount worked very well. I hated the ergonomics of it though. Plus adding 5 ounces of weight is never a good idea.

I've had the X300 before. I recently sold it though. I run X400's on my rail equipped pistols. My only concern about using the X3300 on a shotgun is what it will do to your thumb during recoil. If you're using the momentary option and fire, you could reallly jam your thumb with stout loads. You have to be careful even with the Scout lights.

A guy at work has an M4 that is configured like mine. He's usually a few steps behind on the change curve. So I can compare the ergonomics and weight profile changes between the new and old setup. These changes are night and day when compared side by side.

I wish I didn't even need a light, but I've used the M4 in the field in the dark without one and it isn't very fun.

My eventual goal is to SBS it to cut some more weight, add a 5 round titanium mag tube and have a much smaller package.

I'm also thinking about trying out what Beneliwerks did to his M4 and run a Aimpoint T1 tall mount with the stock fully collapsed. I have one on my AR15, so it just will take some part swapping to see how comfortable it is.

The KZ is a magazine clamp, so you'd need tools to disassemble the weapon. Why they didn't make it so it clamped to the rear barrel hanger, I don't know.

I'd try to shim the mount if it is still moving front to back. Even if it was just a dried thin layer of JB weld on the BLAM4 where the snap ring makes contact. You could then sand the JB weld as needed to make the snap ring an interference fit. Same applies if it is rocking side to side. Fill the area where the BLAM4 indexes against the barrel. Then sand it down until it fits. It doesn't have to be perfect. Any contact will eliminate most of the movement.

The mount is ugly compared to the Surefire M80. It weighs a lot less. Allows for the ergonomics of the factory or FTT handguards. Cheaper than most rail options. Placement of my light activation button is better than it was on the M80. It's further forward. Allows for the weapon to be disassembled without tools. I still believe there is room for improvement though.

is it the slight movement itself that's causing issues? or is it the noise from the parts? i've never played around with liquid rubber, but i wonder if something like that would be worth trying?

There is some tollerance variance from one M4 to another. I believe barrel OD have changed slightly over the released models. If you rock your factory sling mount, it will move. The BLAM4 tried to address this, but the one size fits all approach didn't work.

Plastic dip was my first thought as well. I'm not sure how it will hold up to 12 gauge though. Properly mixed JB Weld has a pretty high tensile strength. I've made front sights out of JB Weld before. Profiled it with a file after it dried.

A weld shop could probably put some beads of weld where you need to limit movement.

It sucks that it has to come to this type of modifications to get a simple light mounted without adding a pound of weight. Most of the aftermarket went about a half assed method to attach a light. A clamp design would work well if it was attached to the rear barrel hanger so it wouldn't interfere with disassembly.

A clamp design would work well if it was attached to the rear barrel hanger so it wouldn't interfere with disassembly.

Of course that would be ideal, but so far no one willing to manufacture such a device has come forth with one. I'd be willing to pay a little more (even 2-3 times as much for the right piece) for one that worked right and was robust. Due to very low demand (equaling low sales being not enough to cover development costs as it would necessarily be strictly a M4 application) I just don't see that happening (unless we can talk the nice people at FFT into doing something like that for us ;)).

Under what circumstances do yo see yourself needing to do a quick takedown of your M4? Why couldn't you carry an allen wrench (for the KZ rail) in your kit for those times?

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

When I snapped a piston in my M4, it locked it up to the point that I had to remove the barrel to get the broken pieces free. The M4 will function on one piston alone. It will run sluggishly, but it'll work.

I've had mounts before that I'd have to disassemble often during cleaning. Most fasteners aren't designed for that type of use. They wear out and loosen over time. I feel it is a step backwards for your well designed shotgun platform.

A two piece extrusion that bolts over the barrel hanger would probably be pretty easy and cheap to make for a company. SideArmor used to produce one, but it wasn't designed very well. They had talked about redesigning it in the past.

About 50 rounds. Metallurgical failure coupled with me have a four port barrel at the time. Even with a 4 port, I had the barrel replaced by Benelli at 10,000 rounds. The carrier was beat up badly and deformed near the rails it rides in. It would stick in the receiver when pulled to the rear from the mushrooming carrier.

With the new BCG and barrel assembly, I've put another 3,000 through it before I replaced the receiver extension a year ago with a 11707 3 position model.

• 3 weeks later...

Acolar,

For you and anyone else that needs information or a source to buy the BLAM4 when Brownells is out of stock, please contact me directly. I manufacture them and always have them in stock. Brownells only buys them weekly or monthly so I'm not sure why they always seem to be out of stock.

Contact us any time and we'll help you out.

[email protected]

Brownells is still out of stock on the BLAM4

Anyone find it for sale elsewhere?

All,

First, My partner (LAPD Officer) and I invented the BLAM4 and my 13 yr old son and I assemble the the BLAM4's and ship them to Brownells as they order them.

I apologize if there are some issues in ordering the BLAM4 from Brownells. They routinely order them once or twice a month but I always seem to hear stories about them being out of stock.

Although I don't advertize, anyone is welcome to order them directly from us by contacting us directly.

[email protected]

We have fielded a few questions regarding the fit of BLAM4's on various shotguns. All the parts are inspected to conform to a tolerance that we established using several new and used Benelli M4's. The tolerance variance from shotgun to shotgun is staggering. We used our best judgement in dimensioning the part so it would be universally accepted. Most BLAM4's to fit snug and however, some are a little loose and can rattle if there isn't tension on the sling or if there isn't a light mounted.

We've looked into various fixes for this, however, without making the part much more complex, or without custom fitting every BLAM4 to each shotgun, we continue to search for the 100% solution.

I welcome any and all suggestions and or critiques.

We also have a BLAM for the Benelli M1 complete and ready to go, we're just waiting for them to be listed on Brownells.

Vr

VooDoo