Shooting My Modified M4 Benelli Super 90

Amsdorf

The loosening Mesa Urbino stock is a common problem. The issue is the fastener attaches to a portion of the receiver extension that wasn't meant for that kind of load. The part you're screwing into is a plug that unscrews from the extension. Only a snap ring keeps the plug from coming out.

Users who have applied thread locker to the fastener have had to cut the stock open to recover the plug since it seizes to the fastener and the entire plug unscrews from the extension. One guy got socked in the face by the spring when it finally came off.

Well, I torqued it down good and proper and it didn't loosen up the rest of the range session. We'll see how it holds up, but I'm happy with it at this point. I had not adequately tightened it when I was working on it the other day.

Did the guy who got "socked in the face" experience a catastrophic failure, or did he just fail to check if the stock was loose and tighten it up?

The guy with the shiner was disassembling the M4. So while he was unscrewing the fastener, he was actually unscrewing the threaded plug. So when it came undone, the mainspring pushed the stock off the back of the extension. Pow! right in the kisser!

If it's just a range gun, it isn't the end of the world if it loosens up.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Like I said, we'll see. I'm not convinced that the Urbino is inherently unhelpful or somehow not a good stock to use on the M4. I'm not sure why he felt a need to take the stock off if he was just cleaning his Benelli.

By the way, I looked through Mesa's own forums to see your comments there debating with Mesa the wisdom, or lackthereof, of requiring a tool to take off the stock, but then I noticed our own Kevin Brentz doing his Kevin thing there. He even threatened somebody by showing off his M4 and then got himself spanked pretty good. Hilarious. Here's the thread, and you can start reading here just for fits and giggles: http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1951#p1951

Funny stuff actually.

Next thing you know, I may find a video of Kevin Brentz being interviewed by his local television station, whining about his power not being on because it is not fair other people have their power on.

LOL. ;)

Edited by Amsdorf

By the way, I looked through Mesa's own forums to see your comments there debating with Mesa the wisdom, or lackthereof, of requiring a tool to take off the stock, but then I noticed our own Kevin Brentz doing his Kevin thing there. He even threatened somebody by showing off his M4 and then got himself spanked pretty good. Hilarious. Here's the thread, and you can start reading here just for fits and giggles: http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1951#p1951

Sorry but I held my own in that thread.

Next thing you know, I may find a video of Kevin Brentz being interviewed by his local television station, whining about his power not being on because it is not fair other people have their power on.

Nope, that's not what you'll find at all. Here's the link to that story and if you know how to actually read then you might be able to comprehend the story. You must believe everyone is a stupid as you are if you think I could get a television crew out here for a little bit of whining. The funny thing is, because of that story and the press it got locally, the power company is installing a different system down on that pole so my neighbor and I won't be having that problem anymore. Thanks for the exposure Amsdouche!:cool:

http://www.kval.com/news/local/Some-still-in-the-dark-Friday-morning-144039446.html?m=y&smobile=y

My main issue with it has been the inability to secure the stock. The factory stocks are indexed in place by the trigger guard and cannot come undone. Taking the stock off for cleaning only really matters if you submerge the weapon o get in a lot of rain/snow. At that point, the receiver extension should be flushed out.

I plan to do a pictorial on how to disassemble the receiver extension soon. This should be done every 2500 rounds or so. The extension collects a lot of debris in it. The main spring itself should be replaced every 5000 rounds. After 13000 rounds, the spring in mine was so weak that it began having chambering issues.

The Urbino does have some distinct advantages over even the collapsible stock. The collapsible stock is less than ideal if you're using the factory iron sights in the middle position that mimicks the Urbino LOP. When using an optic, this doesn't matter. The limbsavers are nice too.

That will be an interesting "pictorial."

Honestly, my major "gripe" with the collapsible stock is that I think it is butt ugly. Just hate the look of it.

I really like how well I can shoulder the shotgun with the Mesa Urbino, and the Magpul AFG really helps me control it.

Everyone talks about the Limbsaver on it, but...couldn't you add one to any stock, just put it on?

I've looked at Limbsaver before. They have some shape to fit options available. I don't have a belt sander to shape my own pad, so I never messed with it. I don't find the recoil to be painful on the M4, but I would like to decrease my split times.

I noticed your safety seems a bit stiff too. Dave's Metal Works makes an awesome replacement. Mine used to be like that until I trimmed about 1.5 coils off of the safety spring. It is still firm to push, but it doesn't require me to change my firing grip to deactivate it now.

The collapsible stock has a distinct look. I like to be able to collapse it fully when I have it cinched to my hike pack.

The loosening Mesa Urbino stock is a common problem. The issue is the fastener attaches to a portion of the receiver extension that wasn't meant for that kind of load. The part you're screwing into is a plug that unscrews from the extension. Only a snap ring keeps the plug from coming out.

Users who have applied thread locker to the fastener have had to cut the stock open to recover the plug since it seizes to the fastener and the entire plug unscrews from the extension. One guy got socked in the face by the spring when it finally came off.

And this is the reason I won't ever put an Urbino on my M4's the way the stocks are currently configured. If you follow the point I was trying to make, in the thread Amsdouche so graciously provided, I didn't care for Mesa's departure from the M4's original design intent. I did get a little butthurt ( I can own my shortcomings) about it but after waiting for the thing for as long as we did, I feel like I was a little justified in my anger of not finding out about the design change until Mesa started shipping them.

I noticed your safety seems a bit stiff too. Dave's Metal Works makes an awesome replacement. Mine used to be like that until I trimmed about 1.5 coils off of the safety spring. It is still firm to push, but it doesn't require me to change my firing grip to deactivate it now.

Yea, it definitely requires a good "push" to switch it, either way. I might tackle that next.

The Urbino was a bit of a bait and switch operation. It was hyped at the beginning in its production cycle and was geared to cost significantly more than what it now sells at. Near the end of the production cycle, miraculously the cost was cut almost in half for the consumer to much fanfare. At that point, either a lot of cost saving measures were implimented, or they realized no one would pay 250+ dollars for what was being offered.

The threaded plug is not designed to handle the type of load that is placed on it. It's meant to float inside the extension at almost finger tightness. Only the snap ring keeps it from walking out the back of the extension. The only way I could see fixing it is to red locktite the plug into the extension. Then use the weaker purple thread locker on the Urbino's screw. If you had to get the plug out of the extension for whatever reason, you'd have to nuke it with the heat gun and purchase a specialized tool that indexes into the notch of the plug to help break it free. You'd have to soak the plug, Mesa's fastener and the end of the receiver extension in acetone prior to semi-permenant assembly.

Too much lipstick for the pig for me.

The M4 isn't an overly common shotgun for police work except for a recent transition for **** A PD. certain agencies allow personal weapons on agency letterheads. Those guys may be left to their own devices as far as modifications are concerned. Military users aren't going to have an option.

There have been a lot of users here who have had it loosen up on them. Unobtanium comes to mind whom I know to be extremely competent with the M4. It seems a lot of users deal with the problem and blame themselves for not cranking the flathead down.

Mesa should have made a ratcheting lock washer at the very least to prevent this kind of issue. My criticism of the stock is not meant to throw Mesa Tactical under the bus. It's more of a constructive criticism in hopes that they will improve upon the design for a version 2 at some point.

Wow, you ripped off 9 shots QUICK!!!! Another sweet vid though and I like the modifications you've done. I torqued down my Mesa stock and when I finally shoot it I'll report back. By the way, to answer your question I haven't shot it yet because I haven't had time. I was supposed to go last week, but my friend flaked.