How often do you do a tear down to clean and lubricate the M4?

Butters149

Firearms are often times over cleaned. I left my burnt bronze M4 dirty for several thousand rounds over a two year period. I was curious to see where a failure would emerge. I shot a couple squirts of oil into the receiver where the bolt carrier rides a few times. Never had any issues. Got tired of looking at the fowling and cleaned it out of habit. It wasn’t even that dirty. 

I used to meticulously clean my firearms after every shooting session because I enjoyed it. Not so much anymore.....now it's more like a PITA, or Iv'e become lazy. Probably a combination of the two.

With the Benelli M4 what I really hate doing is cleaning the melted plastic residue from the shot shells out of the bore.

An electric drill and a rod segment with a bronze or SS brush attached has made the chore easier but, I still hate doing it.

So I put it off until I really feel like doing it..... 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Evolution said:

I used to meticulously clean my firearms after every shooting session because I enjoyed it. Not so much anymore.....now it's more like a PITA, or Iv'e become lazy. Probably a combination of the two.

With the Benelli M4 what I really hate doing is cleaning the melted plastic residue from the shot shells out of the bore.

An electric drill and a rod segment with a bronze or SS brush attached has made the chore easier but, I still hate doing it.

So I put it off until I really feel like doing it..... 

Have you tried one of those Hoppes Tornado brushes ?