Alternatives to a side saddle for extra ammo?

SnidelyWhiplash

As much as I like to imagine I’m a tier one operator type, Father Time is convincing me otherwise. I can still manage my M4 competently fully loaded but with a side saddle and seven extra rounds I’m slowing down when it comes to transitioning between targets.

I considered a bandolier but I’m not sure that would allow me to get shells out quickly if I needed to. Maybe there’s some type of shotgun shell pouch I could keep with my M4 to throw over my shoulder if I needed?

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash
  • Upvote 1

Here's an idea for a pouch. A reproduction of a WWII shot shell holder. It holds 12 shells and you would have to come up with a strap for over the shoulder since it's designed with belt loops. ?‍♂️

https://www.amazon.com/WARCRAFT-EXPORTS-Canvas-Shotgun-Ammunition/dp/B0856YHMD3/ref=sr_1_75?keywords=sporting+clays+shell+pouch&qid=1636500963&sr=8-75

• Upvote 1

Depends on what you want Mr. Whiplash. There's all manner of pouches; I have a chest rig with elastic that holds 25 but it's slow. I REALLY want an Invictus 3-gun belt, it's pricey but really the only thing keeping me from it is the belt attachments and the differences between them. I need to study them because I want to dual and quad load well.

I’ve spent the night looking at shoulder bags but I haven't really found anything suitable for just shotgun shells. The Maxpedition Versipack would allow me to maintain a “ready bag” with shotgun shells, AR mags, and even a handgun and mags but it’s a lot bigger, bulkier, and heavier than I was hoping for. I just want something small that I can grab in the middle of the night and throw over my shoulder or an easy to grab and go pouch of some kind for shotgun shells. A belt or vest seems like a lot to deal with when I hear a bump in the night.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to have posted suggestions. Thank you.

Having extra ammo on your gun cannot be beat because in a shit blizzard you may not have time to grab anything but the gun -

Quality shotgun cards - https://esstac.com/shotgun/

Buttstock ammo carrier (I'm not promoting this one, only using as an example) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/275013558357?hash=item400815e055:g:HZMAAOSwIJJhgzso

Then there are the sling/bandolier combos or the shotshell holder that slips over your forearm (not a fan of either). In a shit blizzard keeping track of a pouch or bag not attached to your body or LBE isn't going to work out very well.

Personally, beyond the rounds stowed on the gun itself I'm big on quality bandoliers, the best quality 12 ga. bandolier that I've found is Urban ERT - https://www.urbanertslings.com/50-round-tactical-combat-shotgun-bandoleer-for-the-12-gauge-shotgun/

Urban ERT shotshell holder belt - https://www.urbanertslings.com/30-round-12-gauge-2-shotgun-shell-belt/

Too bad Uncle Mike's quit making this vest - https://www.bluesheepdog.com/uncle-mikes-breacher-vest-review/

• Upvote 2

Sukhoi_fan, thank you for taking the time to put this information together. This certainly provides some options.

I understand your point about the shotgun cards. It makes sense having the extra ammo on the gun. It’s just adding so much weight…….

I might just buy pajamas with pockets and keep a half dozen rounds in one of the pockets when I sleep. ?

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately we all won't likely have the time to LARP it out and spend ten minutes kitting out to engage a problem like a Schwarzenegger assembly montage.

Lock And Load Arnold Schwarzenegger GIF - Lock And Load Lock Load GIFs

You'll be lucky to even have your shoes on when something goes down at night.

Having a bandolier draped over the shotgun isn't a bad idea. I have another bandolier that I leave in a fall back location. Side saddle arrangements are a good system for having shells with the shotgun. The velcro systems are the best.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After watching a video, I was inspired to use a fanny pack loaded with loose 00 shells. So in addition to practicing loading from cards on my shotgun, I’ve started practicing with the fanny pack. I like it - it not only appeals to my ‘90s aesthetic but I embarrassingly still have a bunch of them. You can also just sling the pack over your neck/shoulder if you need to move quickly. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Moribund thread, but what the heck.

The problem with shotguns for SD is the obvious limited round capacity and the need to understand if you are not shooting you better be loading. I have found for single breech loading, the Blackhawk forearm situation is really fast; supplement with grab-a-few shotshell carriers; the aluminum ones are far superior to the polymer style for functioning.  The polymer shotshell holders are used as the standard at the elite Rogers Shooting School for their combat shotgun course of fire using the Winchester 1300 pump as the "school gun"; IF you can shoot the pump fast, you can scream an auto-loader. The 1300 and it's modern clones FN Police Shotgun have been described as the worlds fastest pump shotgun's with a rotating bolt; the recoil will eject the round if you take the support hand off the forend.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7fbv3ywppxvpsn/Rogers Shotgun Test 4 Also copy.mov?dl=0

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.33.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.31.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.32.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.32.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.32.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.33.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.33.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 6.54.03 PM.png

Edited by benelliwerkes
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

heres what it comes down to for me, the point of a m4 is not to have 100 rounds at your disposal.. it is to have 7-10 rounds of superior power ready , if used properly that can dispose of a threat with each round.. (not to diminish a bandolier or shell bag or side saddles etc, more the merrier, more power to ya)

or put it this way.. if you have to use a full tube of slugs or buckshot, your already living a nightmare.. so if it goes beyond that.. your either sufficiently prepared or your toast

Edited by brightt
  • Upvote 2

I use 3 methods.

-Velcro shotgun side saddle (easily removed when weight is a concern, and it velcroes...so vests, etc. hold it.

-Stripper type apparatus like the Progressive Machine and Tool pictured in a post further up. I keep 2 on a belt, one with slugs, one with buck.

-Vietnam USGI M60 pouch. I use this when I want to go shooting in my yard. Dump a few boxes of slug and buck into it, and then pick up my hulls and put them in it when done. It's not the most secure, but for just patterning or whatnot, it works great as a way to tote the ammo for non-uber-dynamic stuff.

• Upvote 2

Speaking from experience, when a sh*t blizzard breaks out one is not going to waste valuable nanoseconds strapping on accoutrements such as vests, belts, cool forearm devices, or even bandoliers (my preference), one's just going to grab that one gun, better make it good.

I started out with five rounds, down to one round when help rolled up. I'm not ever running out of ammo again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Speaking from experience, when a sh*t blizzard breaks out one is not going to waste valuable nanoseconds strapping on accoutrements such as vests, belts, cool forearm devices, or even bandoliers (my preference), one's just going to grab that one gun, better make it good.

I started out with five rounds, down to one round when help rolled up. I'm not ever running out of ammo again.

This is why I velcro it to the gun. Sidesaddle. You're going to use what you've got, and what you've gots the gun. Where I live, there is no help. LE may or may not respond, and if they choose to, its 45 minutes minimum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

2A83CB86-38FD-412C-87F6-39B13A62F3FC_4_5005_c.thumb.jpeg.79e2d6d11d82257c05b80fa93787e805.jpeg 

Well Said! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1